iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This style felling cut

Started by ohiowoodchuck, August 28, 2016, 08:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Forgot to mention one cut we use while topping trees/working on the power row is the .... ( bad word) cut. It works well for tight places,but you need a fast cutting saw. Its just like the spur cut kinda.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Loesshillslogging

Quote from: CCC4 on September 07, 2016, 10:12:53 PM
Same as OP video. I know a few guys that have cut high grade in Iowa, if you cut for Amish you spur cut aka bucket cut or go home. I had a guy cut on my post stamp once using that style...freaked me out really. I'm not knocking the cut but I didn't want him anywhere near me. He was good at it I guess, done it for several years up there in Walnut. I just don't use the cut, like I said, I'm not knocking it but it will be one that I will figure something else out.

The cut, just as the OP video is originated by the Swiss Germans, I would assume it came over here with the Amish. Like I say, I have seen it used, but I didn't like looking over my shoulder wondering where he was going with it. We were literally on the same postage stamp. I could fall an average of 3 to his one in the same caliber timber.

Yep, Amish cut, first saw it in SE Iowa and my old buddy who logs walnut with me uses it constantly. At times he has his loader in the timber pushing the tree over off the stump. Average diameter walnut log maybe 20" - most the time he is cutting immature trees but land owners insist. I've used the cut in the past but not anymore, usually cutting alone and need to either swing log clear of others or more important I want to stay safe. This topic comes up every year!

I really enjoy reading these posts, I learn so much from everyone and appreciate just how professional everyone is in this forum. I also want to thank RHP and others who share and show video, I could watch these things for hours. Stay safe, have a great season.

John Mc

Quote from: timberlinetree on September 08, 2016, 05:49:18 AM
Is there a name when cutting pulp/firewood where you just back cut until it starts to go then stop cutting. The strap wood so to say helps it behave.I use this a lot around bolders/ when trees are piling up. I found it helps a lot in keeping the butt from flying up(see sawing so to say).not shure if its correct or not,but is fast, no visitors have said anything and that could have saved Doug face a lot of pain when that hickory pole  hit him. If it doesn't have a name maybe I will try to make one up although I m having a tuff time keeping up with so many different names/way to fell a tree. Work safe out there!

Are you talking about felling without a notch - just make the back cut only?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

treeslayer2003

timberline, i think what you are talking about is some thing i call a pin hinge. i used it on small head leaners when i was young and could run lol. you already know its a little dangerous on any thing but a sapling.

i think ccc4 has another name for it

timberlinetree

I use it  on trees up to around 10"+/-. Its just back cutting,leaving some holding wood. I was going to call it a strap cut. Glad I know it's called a pin hinge. Thanks.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

RHP Logging

I think of it as just snipping it off. I do it all the time in pole timber when I don't need 100รข,,... accuracy.  Usually I don't go much bigger than that 10" myself.
Buckin in the woods

CCC4

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 08, 2016, 05:06:51 PM
timberline, i think what you are talking about is some thing i call a pin hinge. i used it on small head leaners when i was young and could run lol. you already know its a little dangerous on any thing but a sapling.

i think ccc4 has another name for it

Ha! Yeh, but I don't think he's talking about a KOD. I have a tree about like that one video KC just posted up yesterday where them two were hanging off a bank. Mine is a water oak though and it never turned back to look at the Sun....OMG is she stretched out there!!! It's hanging off a little bluff like right out of the rocks. About a 24" across the stump maybe...40 foot offset lean stretched out there at about a 40* angle. I just saw it today...I'm pondering it man! I have made the claim I can cut any angle lean with that KOD cut...video time!! LOL!

ohiowoodchuck

Education is the best defense against the media.

teakwood

Why the triple bore in? The first one would a have done it? just cut the first one and saw until the back and then cut the trigger wood.  Or is it to avoid back kicking?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

CCC4

It worked but it looks like if you were going to do a cut so similar to a GOL why not just do a  GOL? It would have worked exactly the same, if you cut the entire heart out and set a hinge, why stair step it?

1270d

Release and go boys, release and go.

ppine

Maybe I am old and out of date, but I don't like it.
Am I the only guy that thinks that saw is being pushed and lugged at low rpms all the time?
Forester

dustyhat

I guess its like ford vs chevy its what you get used to. i bore cut alot and like it, and do some like the other video. cant control the tree good boring it ,but no splinters and its fairly easy to me .

OH logger

Quote from: 1270d on September 10, 2016, 10:38:38 PM
Release and go boys, release and go.

I love it!! ;D on hard leaners I bore out the heart preferably through the notch and if its REALLY leanin hard I will start my back cut about 2 inches above the back of the notch. seems to take the chance of splinter and barber chair away a lot. works for me in big hardwood
john

RHP Logging

I'll be the turd in the punch bowl. Seems kinds of unnecessary to me.  Theres easier and faster ways to skin a cat.
Buckin in the woods

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Nemologger

Spur cutting. Here in Missouri almost everyone cuts walnut like this unless your pulling it off a fence or power line. Then a hinge cut and a cable comes into play.
Clean and Sober

RHP Logging

Quote from: Nemologger on September 16, 2016, 10:19:53 PM
Spur cutting. Here in Missouri almost everyone cuts walnut like this unless your pulling it off a fence or power line. Then a hinge cut and a cable comes into play.

You ever hear of a Missoura boat ride?
Buckin in the woods

Nemologger

Quote from: RHP Logging on September 16, 2016, 10:36:36 PM

yep
Clean and Sober

Okrafarmer

Quote from: RHP Logging on September 16, 2016, 10:36:36 PM

Why do I feel like the rest of us, who "haven't been shown," are missing out on a private joke?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

RHP Logging

It's from the movie " The Outlaw Josey Wales".  Josey hails from Missouri. As Lamuel (and I forget the other guys name. I only know Lamuel cuz the other guy keeps saying "Lamuel pull") pulls the union soldiers across the river in a raft, Josey waits on the other side. The civil war is over but he is holding out and is now wanted. As the union soldiers near he pulls out his rifle and takes aim.  Mr. Carpet bagger ( just a passerby of sorts throughout the movie) says there is no way he can shoot all those men before they gun him down.  Josey says, "mr carpetbagger we've got something in this territory called the Missoura boat ride." He then shoots the rope and the raft proceedes down river, horses falling off and all hell breaking loose. Great movie if you have never seen it.  Lots of great one liners. When I read that nemologger is from Missouri it just kind of popped in there.
Buckin in the woods

ohiowoodchuck

Who hasn't watched Josey Whales. A man hasn't lived until he has watched it at least ten times. 🙂

Okrafarmer

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on September 18, 2016, 12:29:15 PM
Who hasn't watched Josey Whales. A man hasn't lived until he has watched it at least ten times. 🙂
Ok, sounds like fun!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

RHP Logging

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on September 18, 2016, 12:29:15 PM

Buzzards gotta eat, same as a worm.
Buckin in the woods

ohiowoodchuck

I found these guys the other day. There from Missouri and his dad is 72 and he cuts all his trees with the spur cut or bore cut. I would say this fine gentlemen is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to timber. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TqOtJcJ3dvU

Thank You Sponsors!