iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And there he was.. GONE

Started by Jeff, February 24, 2008, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Ya know those words from the song "Da Turdy Point Buck"?

Well, the T.V. was just on in the living room thursday night. As I walked in I glanced at it and thought HEY!  I know that guy....  And there he was, GONE!  Michigan Outdoors was on and they were doing their Big Buck night.  I was positive the fellow I caught the glimpse of was our own Sunfield Hardwood.  I didnt get to see da deer, I didnt get to see da story, and I even thought I mighta been seeing things.  So, I wrote him a note last night, and guess what? It was him!

I'm wanting to here the story now cause it aint often a guy can make the biggest big buck show in all of Michigan.  I sure wish I hadn't of missed it. :-\

Are ya out there Bill?

I dug this photo out of his Gallery.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sunfield Hardwood

Hi Yall, Yeah thats my deer, 8) I don't like to brag but i've been hunting and very seriosly bowhunting for 35 years and this is the biggest buck i've taken. I took this buck on nov. 13 [which is two days before Michigans firearm deer season] It,s allmost a legal holiday here. But anyway, a friend and I lease this farm for hunting and we have been very selective in harvesting
more mature deer, I had passed up about 12 different bucks earlier in the season. but with gun season getting close I was getting less selective,[ like the next buck I saw was going to get it ]
about a week before I shot the buck, I was leaving the woods and went to pick up my son in law at another stand in the same woods, when I got there he was just about speechless cause he had seen a whopper of a buck we did not even know was around. I had pictures of around 50 different bucks during the summer on several different farms that I hunt, some were very good bucks but I never got a picture of this buck, well anyhow, I heard a deer grunt while hunting on the 13th about 8 am. he was comeing in directly behind my stand, as soon as I saw he was a shooter [ I really did'nt know how big he was yet] I concentrated on makeing the shot, he came by me at about 20 yards and I did make a good shot :). He ran about 80 yards and piled up in a corn stubble field where I could see him go down. of all the animals I taken [ I've been hunting in Africa and most western states and lots of Canada] I was more excited with this deer than any other.I know this is not huge by Iowa,Kansas or Texas standards but its pretty respectable in Mi. Thanks for letting me brag some, I think of the Forestry Forum as friends I chat with every day, It,s even cooler when I remember you folks are in other states and even other countrys.Bill ;D
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

Jeff

I've never shot anything bigger then an 8 point with a 15inch spread. So how did the Big Buck night work? Was that a first second third type thing, or just a chance for people that shot big deer to tell about it?  If it was a placement thing, how did ya do?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

Great story, thanks for telling us. I can tell you that I'd be darn proud to shoot one that size here in Iowa. :)

farmerdoug

Bill,

Did you have your buck at the deer show in Lansing?  I saw you there but never did get to look over the bucks posted there.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Sunfield Hardwood

They did have a contest in three catagories, adult archery,adult gun and youth gun and archery combined. There were other nice bucks there but the more symetrical they are the better they score any differences between the left and right horn are deductions from the total. I won two very nice plaques one for largest bow kill and one for largest buck overall. I did take it to lansing Doug but did'nt quite make the awards group, there was some very nice bucks there,
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

thecfarm

I'd like to know how much did it weigh????? Nice looking buck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DWM II

That's a fine animal Bill, congratulations. He reminds me of the buck I passed on this Oct. in OK. I filled my buck tag the day before with a respectable 8 pt. (the best I ever killed) but he wasnt even close to that. I'm going after him this Oct.
Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

Sunfield Hardwood

The deer weighed 175 after field dressing, estimated 3 and a half years old. he is one of prettiest bucks I've ever seen , no broken points, no scars, no spit ears etc. I'm looking forward to getting the mount back from taxidermist.

Ron Scott

Very nice Michigan buck. Well Done!
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!