iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer hunt'ng

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 02, 2003, 04:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

I took a few days off after Christmas and went deer hunting.  In all reality I cruised a thounsand acres of timber that I will never be able to cut.  I sit on a bluff on the Buffalo River where to the south of me I can watch about 5 acres of white oak flat and 40 feet below me is a trail that deer and bobcats use to get to the river.  I set my tree lounge deer stand in a tree right on the edge of the bluff facing to the south east.  I watch the sun rise and set and listen to the turkeys come off roost and go to the river for a drink.  I have hunted this spot for over 20 years and there is no telling how many deer I have taken from this position.  Nor is there any way to tell how may hours I have napped while basking in the suns warming glow.   Westerns read will number in the hundards as will the pounds of candy and snacks comsumed in the persuit of deer.   There was a good snow on the ground and movement of the deer was easy to see and I was in the best place in the forest.  Two more westerns are now read and I gained 5 pounds while I guarded this section of woods from the encrochment of deer. (at least while I was awake)  I did take an ole doe for meat so my wife would let me come back next year and not think that I was just out there wasting time.  No legal horns used my paths not ate of my acorns. (at least while I was awake)  I am now ready to start a new year and can hardly wait for deer season next year.
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

J Beyer

I'm mad now! >:(  You had snow for hunting! >:( >:(  Looks like a really nice place to go hunting even if you don't shoot anything.  Just make sure your safety line is on or you'll fall out of your stand when napping! ;D

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

swampwhiteoak

Gotta love the bluffs on the Buffalo.  One of my all time favorite short trails is the "goat trail" outside of Ponca.  I'll see if I can dig up some pictures later.  Are there still a lot of elk in the area?

Paul_H

ARKANSAWYER,
It sounds like you have a great spot for hunting down there.It is getting harder around here to get away from people in the woods here.We are 2 1/2 hours from the city,and come hunting season,everybody and his brother is camped out and beating the bushes.Added to that are the people out picking Pine Mushrooms.The price of mushrooms gets up to over $50 per lbs,and it gets people out looking,almost like gold fever.

At work,twice,I have came across kills made by poachers.One was a Fawn,shot from behind,just under the tail.The day before I had helped the guy camped there, by boosting his battery.He had a Green van,and he looked like Rasputin,but I never thought to take his licence#.

The other was a cow Moose,taken right on the road.(pit lamping is my guess)I looked around the gut pile and found a receipt from a dept.store.I thought I had them,but they had paid cash.Neither of the kills took any brains or talent,and chances of getting caught are slim,so on it goes.

I still have my favorite spot to hunt near my hometown,but I don't get a chance that often anymore.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ARKANSAWYER

Lots of elk to the point that thye have started letting us hunt them.  They have a lottery drawing and most is for cow elk so they can control the herds.  Several get poched each year and most offenders get caught.  
   If you stay with in 100 yards of the roads you may see some one.  But I hunt about 3/4 mile in from the nearest road and have not seen a person in the 20 years that I have hunted there.  There is 100,000 acres of forest along the Buffalo River and very few roads.  So if a body is in good shape and does not mind the hike it is worth it.  Now you have not lived till you have dragged a big buck up the bluffs of the Buffalo.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

hawby

I once stopped by the Whitetail museum while traveling through Arkansas. Gosh there were some beauts in there. I really liked what I saw of Arkansas from I-40.

Up here on the farm in Michigan, we had a real successful hunt. My best friend, closest I have to a brother, took a 10 point  that green scored 138 1/2. Real nice buck.

We ended up taking 13 deer, six hunters. Did find three bucks that were hit by arrows, but the &*^^$) so called hunters didn't bother to track them very hard. One was another Commerative Buck, nine points.

I've still got two does to put into the freezer this week. I let 'em hang a week to ten days. Tenderizes the meat, ya know.

I'm with you guys. There ain't nothin' better than setting in the woods, listening to the gobblers, waitin' for the big boy to just trot out in front of ya...... Then, they taste good too!

klh
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

ARKANSAWYER

NICE BUCK :o   Looks like he has been playing a bit to hard seeing some of them points missing.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!