iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Basswood

Started by highway, January 14, 2016, 09:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway

Does anyone know of a buyer of Basswood? I have 3 huge straight trees to remove from my sugarbush. Would hate to burn it up in the sugarhouse.
Thanks,

Ed
2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

mesquite buckeye

One of the best carving woods for what it is worth. They also use it for shutters. I guess it mills nice and is light and not too expensive. ;D :new_year:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

coalsmok

I made some nice interior paneling out of one.

york

Hi all,

The trim in my house is Basswood,but the word is,around here the big mills will not buy BW....
Albert

Bruno of NH

I think it would make nice interior millwork the kind that is painted .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

69bronco

I'd saw it in 4" cants and put and ad out for carvers. They love that stuff!

Chuck White

Referring to your opening post, Basswood doesn't make very good firewood!

Good wood for carving, and also good for making beehives!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GAB

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 14, 2016, 10:00:46 AM
One of the best carving woods for what it is worth. They also use it for shutters. I guess it mills nice and is light and not too expensive. ;D :new_year:

I've sawed some and slabs fresh of the mill from recently harvested trees are very wet and heavy. I was sawing 3" thick up to 20+" wide.
Highway: try and locate a carver's club locally and see if there is any interest.  Also try and find out what size stock they would be interested in.
There is a market but it is definitely not a strong one.
Gerald,
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

highway

2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

johnnyllama

It's a specialized niche but also basswood was always used for food containers.... apple and potato crates etc. I cut a bunch last year for a friend with apple orchards and they built a few hundred small crates (I think 1 bushel size) over the winter. My father said back in the 30's they always spent winters in the shop on the farm building food crates out of basswood to ship produce to NY city the following year's harvest. Basswood supposedly didn't impart any taste into the food. It's light weight when dry, clear straight grained, resists splitting, and fairly strong for it's weight. Plus it grows pretty darn big, at least around here. I've seen trees approaching 100 ft. tall with 3-4' dia. not uncommon although hollow trunks are also common.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

lirachamo51

just checked amazon for basswood carving blocks,getting $12.00 for a 2x4x12" block if you could find the right buyer could make some quick change out of those 3 large trees, and if you find them let me know ive got some big ones on my property ! lol :D
Randy

Clark

Quote from: johnnyllama on January 14, 2016, 06:55:12 PMPlus it grows pretty darn big, at least around here. I've seen trees approaching 100 ft. tall with 3-4' dia. not uncommon although hollow trunks are also common.

Basswood is easily our best growing hardwood. The tallest I've seen is 108'. Commonly they have self-pruned for 2 logs and I've seen them limb free up to 65'.  Since markets are so poor for basswood no one manages it so the potential for the species is unknown around here.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

mesquite buckeye

Makes great honey too. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ox

Basswood can be used for building in the old ways, i.e. post and beam construction as well!  We have a road here locally named Basswood Rd., named after the many basswoods that grew there in the old days.  There was a church on the road a couple hundred years ago to serve the local hamlet in that area, known as "Basswood Church" and it was constructed entirely from basswood.  A house now stands on the site.  This information was learned by reading "The Annals of Oxford" written in 1906, I think, by a man named Galpin about the early history of Oxford before the knowledge was forgotten.  This area started clear back in the early 1700s, if I remember right. 

Look at me rambling on about an area nobody's heard of and don't care about!   :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

I thought it was an interesting read...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Gearbox

Clark the basswood market 80 miles from you is HOT right now . Savana at mcgregor was paying 135 a cord . Nelson wood shims is paying $50 preimem for the first load . All last summer they were crying for basswood .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ox

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

highway

Cool Info OX. If it was structurally sound I could use it for dimensional lumber maybe? 2x4 and 2x6?

Ed

www.fletcher-farm.com

johnnyllama

Hey Ox,
  Not only heard of Oxford, but got my darn mill from there. By the way, how come you aren't runnimg a Turner mill from your home town?  ???
You are right about using basswood back in the day though, I've seen it often in older buildings up here around the Tully/Otisco area.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Ox

johnnyllama - I helped run a Turner mill about 15 years ago when they were a relatively new and young mill builder.  That particular mill hasn't left this hill its whole life and its second owner is still running it to this day.  I wanted to try something new, could build a mill that handled larger timber, had some scrap steel from my first mill build and wanted to look at it and say, "Yep, I built that from a pile of flat steel!".
I wouldn't ever repeat the process again and would buy a mill before building another one.  ::)

highway - yeah, I suppose you could use basswood for anything you like since the old timers did and it worked just fine.  I'd look it up in a lumber strength chart to see what species it most closely resembles in span lengths and weight, etc.  Ultimately, men have built anything they needed using whatever was easily available at the time.  It all worked fine.  Everything's relative.  Weaker wood needs bigger lumber is all.  This is one reason I despise certain areas that have codes that dictate what type of wood you can use.  Most of these rules suggest you buy non-local wood.  Around here it's always been hemlock, white pine and basswood in the old days.  Mostly hemlock.

highway

Thanks for all the feedback.  8)

Ed
www.fletcher-farm.com

Thank You Sponsors!