iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Groundhowgs have 10 lives

Started by Bibbyman, June 20, 2017, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

They moved in a couple of years ago and have now infested all our outbuildings and been so cheeky as to come around on our front porch and look in at us while we're setting in our living room.

I've been waging war on them the past several weeks. I set out under the shade tree and wait for them to come out.  I've gotten several.  However, this evening I was humiliated.   Saw 5 and shot at 4 and got none!   

I'm going to have to rethink my "assault weapon".  I'm using a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with 00 buck loads. I have an improved cylinder tube installed.  I finally figured out that the gun shoots ridiculously high and I have to put the middle bead higher than the front bead and then aim under.   I think too,  the pattern is too big at some of the distances I'm shooting. 

Of all the guns I have, the only one with a scope is my 45-70 Marlin.  Overkill but I may have to resort to using a buffalo gun. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I would think a .22 lr would be perfect.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JV

We have a mama with four little ones coming close to our back patio.  If I even stand in front of the door they run.  I going to sneak around the house and pick them off.  I'd like to use my .243 but my sister's house is in the line of fire.  But, I have my double 12 with No. 2s and they work great, not even a tail wiggle.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Ljohnsaw

Could cats take them out?  I have a dog that likes to hunt anything and leaves the harvest by my back door.  Rats, mice, voles, gofers, lizards and snakes.

Last night I was coming back up from my shop under my house.  There is a long narrow deck between my back door (kitchen) and my bedroom.  At the corner by my bedroom is a double spot light that lights up the concrete step up to the kitchen.  Just as I came around I see something big fly down and land next to the door of my bedroom.  The non-hunter dog saw it and ran up after it.  She pounced but it hopped up and I saw it was an owl.  I yelled at her to "leave it" and she paused just long enough that it took off flying along the deck towards the kitchen and then up.

The best thing was it was totally silent flight.  Couldn't hear a wing flap at all!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bibbyman

Our dowg Puddenhead use to catch and kill them on a regular enough basis to keep the population in check.  She's been gone for a couple of years.
Sawing since '94

DelawhereJoe

I can see if my brother will loan you his husky, groundhogs are his favorite food. I think he is up to 10 or 12 already this year, and thats on a 75' dog run.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

thecfarm

I had a dog that would hunt them. We keep the fields mowed so they can not live in the tall grass. A wood chunk mound is a great thing to run a sickle mower into.  ::) The wood chunks live in the stone walls. Dew would bark and bark and I would come with a gun and start to move rocks.First time he did that I did not think he had the courage to kill one. He would flip them upside down and bite the neck. Only took a few seconds. I have no idea where he learned that. The first one he did that to kinda wrapped its body around him. I had a gun,but no way to shot. I thought the wood chunk was going to bite him, than all went limp and PaPa was all smiles. My Father would of loved Dew.
The wife's dog will find them,she found 2 all ready. But she won't really hunt them. She has no couage to do it alone. If I am down there,she will follow me and do some hunting. Dew would go off on his own and hunt for them. He was a good boy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Have you tried live trapping them? I'd think that would work. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Gearbox

I don't like to use a 22 on them . They wound and then end up under a floor or like me under a low deck dead . Had to remove deck boards to get it out . 220 swift is what I use now .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Mooseherder

We have one hanging around.  I've seen it 3 days in a row.  It ain't scared at all.  I've only seen 1 dugout so far.

thecfarm

Them things are pretty smart. They are not to afraid at first. Shoot at them a few times and miss,than when they see ya,they take off running. We had one at the bottom of the field,I would guess 400 feet. We took a few shots at it with a 22. Kinda far,and the field was real wet,we could see the water fly up in front of the wood chunk. Did that 3-4 times and when we opened the front door and stepped out,it would go back into the stone wall. Had the stepson come up with his rifle. The grandson was about 2 years old. He went out the back door and walked around the front of the house,wood chunk took off. He tried to get out of the house again and the same results. Than he came up a few weeks later and tried again. I was doing something and was not paying attention to what he was doing. All at once BANG. Grandson starts to cry. He opened the front door and shot from inside the house!!!!! MaMa was not happy,but I was,he got it.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

I never new they are a #1 rabies carrier so I shoot every one I see

Crusarius

Had that same problem around here. first thing that was done was cover all the holes then drop a smoke bomb into one hole. That did a good job of taking out most of them. Then the 4 legged death machine showed up. She hates woodchucks. They don't stand a chance.

trapper

This year 4 stuck their head in a conibear in my pole barn.  I also shot one with the 22.  They were digging under the woodpile.  Two little ones got caught in the same same trap at the same time. I gave them to a friend to feed his hawk.  He does falconry. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bibbyman

I switched hardware last evening and got out my Marlin 1894 in 25-20.  The old gun is a tack driver.  I set out for an hour and a half and saw no groundhogs.  Somehow they knew not to show their ugly faces.
Sawing since '94

coxy

I have a 25-20 also nice little gun

sandhills

A few weeks ago I happened to look out the shop window one morning and saw one crossing the yard, grabbed the 22 and went running out the door.  Wouldn't you know it my bil was just pulling in, needless to say he stopped and backed out rather quickly  :D, he never saw it.  Dad has them terrible at his place, he uses live catch traps, I use the rifle, we've put a good dent in the population but used to have a dog that hated them more, she did a better job.

Bibbyman

http://youtu.be/xCEt_8C9xnM

I picked up my trail cam cards a bit ago.  This one is set across from the sawmill pointing north up the drive.   
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

This groundhowg ran out of luck when it was ambushed by 67 year old man with 117 year old Marlin 1894 in 25-20.
Sawing since '94

WV Sawmiller

'Fess up Bibby! We know you didn't make that shot. Was probably Mary who shot him.

Now are you going to eat him or not? Been a while but we have cooked them in the past when son would shoot one. Seems like they tasted about like squirrel or coon.

I went to some Indian village once and they said the groundhog hide was real tough and they used it to make drum heads. I guess now you gonna tell us your drum head is fine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Grizzly

Man and gun make up 184 years of experience. Chuck had no chance!!   ;D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Bibbyman

I really did shoot it.  I've learned that if I just leave them there they fall,  they will dissappear in no time. 

The first one I shot, I got busy helping the farmers store their hay and didn't get around to hauling off the caucus.   I went back to take care of it a couple of hours later and it was gone.  The farmers putting up hay said a flock of buzzards were working on something where it had fallen (they didn't know I'd killed a groundhog).  I later found a clean skull.  All that was left.
Sawing since '94

TimRB

Find a 13 year old boy with a .22, offer him five bucks per groundhog, and stand back.

Tim

sandhills

Bibbyman

Quote from: sandhills on June 23, 2017, 12:25:24 PM
And maybe duck a bit too  :)

I don't think so.  Too many buildings with trucks and equipment to trust to a trigger happy kid.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!