iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Secret Recipes for Blade Lube

Started by Macgyver, December 22, 2011, 12:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

Hey Everyone.  I'm relatively new to sawing, and have been running a pine-sol water mix for a while in my Norwood MX-34.  I ran the water tank empty right as it was getting dark last weekend, so I decided it was about time to quit anyway.  Apparently it got down to 14 degrees overnight, and stayed around 20 all day.  I didn't have the patience to sit by and thaw the lines to swap to windshield wiper fluid, and I wasn't sure how well that would work anyway. 

Anyone got any super secret recipes, or anything that just works really well for blade lube in the winter?  Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone in advance.
Smile! It confuses people

red oaks lumber

windsshield wassher fluid, good to minus 20, cheap
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

DouginUtah

Well, it used to be cheap...

The lowest price I've found this year is $1.78 at Wal-Mart. I think Home Depot wants $2.78. Just two or three years ago you could buy it for under a dollar on sale.

Quite a bit more than the claimed 3.6% inflation rate.  >:(
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

nas

I have a super secret recipe, but it's a super secret :D ;D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

red oaks lumber

at fleet farm i buy a case of 6 for $7.19

SPIKER

Menards often has it for 98cent still (ours anyhow) for the Blue or the BUG remover stuff...
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Norm

ladylake

Diesel is a lot cheaper, takes about 1/2 gal per 8 hours.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Be sure to check the label to insure that the jug contains either 0 or -32 degree formula.  If you find that you have a frozen faucet, wrap it with one of those chemical hand warmers and a towel.  It will thaw out quickly.

I purge the system with -32 degree formula.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Another idea you may want to try with the amount is have 2 valves on your line.One have wide open,use it as a on and off ONLY,than have another to adjust with to have just a drip or a trickle or a stream.. Than use the on and off valve to turn the lube off when you are doing something else and turn it back on when you get sawing and the flow will be just right. This will save on the amount of lube you use too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

steve,
diesle must be cheap in your area 1/2 gal. is still over 1.75 . i can saw all day on 1 gal. washer fluid :)frozen wood dosent need as much lube, imo

eastberkshirecustoms

Diesel is $4.05 a gallon here, not exactly a cheap blade lube.

Banjo picker

It never freezes ...so I never have to purge a tank...and I don't think I will use a half gal. in 8 hours....it depends on how your mill is set up...with a true drip system it don't take very much....Yes it will gell at about 10 deg. and that might happen here two or three times a year...maybe...And when and if it does, I dang sure won't care, cause I won't be sawing anyway...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ladylake

I,ve tried washer fluid in the winter, no way I'd get by on 1 gal a day with the wood I saw, more like 4 or 5.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Quote from: ladylake on December 25, 2011, 05:35:13 AM

I,ve tried washer fluid in the winter, no way I'd get by on 1 gal a day with the wood I saw, more like 4 or 5.   I was stretching it a bit when I said 1/2 gal per 8 hours, it's less and no jelling trouble up here where it's mixed for the winter.  Steve

bandmiller2

Mac,just use your regular mix and add some methonol in the winter thats the working ingrediant in WW fluid.Myself I use diesel/oil mix applied with a wick year round no drips,no buildup,no rust,no smell,no discoloration,no BS. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kansas

So much of it depends on what your sawing, and what your climate is. Some woods we rarely have to use anything, such as cottonwood or sycamore. Others like the oaks, hickory, ash cut much better with diesel than anything else I have found. When you compare costs between things like windshield wiper fluid and diesel, look at the pile of the lumber at the end of the day. Look at how often you had to change the blade. The cost per board foot is inconsequential on either one. The size of the pile of lumber and not having blades heat up due to buildup, causing them to fail prematurely, is. Look at the cost of downtime due to freezing.

357blacksmith

Down here in east Texas, Dawn dishwashing liquid ( few drops to the gallon of water) keeps sap from building up on the blade, not sure about freezing temps though. Not that big of a problem here, but so cheap it might be worth a try, just let it drain out when your finished for the day so it wont freeze over night. Just a thought.
Log Master 1, Farmtrac 665, Champion forge, Peter Wright anvil, and 5 Bassett attack-and slobber dogs.

Dan_Shade

I used vegetable oil for a while, but it pretty much made a mess of everything.  now I use dawn and pinesol.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave VH

is there a problem with any of these recipes staining the wood?  I like the idea of diesel only because I have a large tank at my place, convience.  I really don't mill that much right now anyhow.  I haven't used any lube up to now, but i understand the advantage for it.  I just outfitted my saw with a luber, and I'm ready to add the right formula.  So far, I saw only hardwoods, and if you look at the logs that I have here, that's all it's going to be for a long time.  I'm glad that this thread was started.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Magicman

Here are a couple of LINKS to my favorite blade lube.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

250quality

Diesel fuel with a drip system to a felt pad rubbing on the blade. I used to play with water, pinesol and anti freeze mix but always running out too fast. A gallon of diesel lasts forever now.

Island Sawyer

One part diesel to every two parts diesel.

tyb525

I've been using a few drops of dish soap to 1 gallon of water. In the warmer months I add a little bleach too, helps control staining I think. I've yet to try diesel, although I think it would work well.

A few time's I've used motor oil from a mechanic's oiler, when I needed to resaw a few boards but was too lazy to go back to the house and refill the water jug :D Literally just a few drops for a few boards worked great.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Island Sawyer on February 05, 2012, 03:57:11 PM
One part diesel to every two parts diesel.
How do you know when you have the mix just right, or need to adjust it a little? Take a little diesel out, then add some more?  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!