iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw M14 setworks help

Started by Kehoe585, February 13, 2012, 10:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kehoe585

First time user, so I need some help...I acquired  a belsaw M 14, have managed to get it setup, and running and seems to work well, the problem is that the setworks or the "sets" on the setworks are not setup correct and it is making it very difficult to cut equal boards. The machine is all there, but I have little knowldge of how they are supposed to be or work. I have read the manual and searched and searched for a close up pic of the carriage and the setworks. could someone please help with a pic or some adivce on how to tackle this problem. Nothing is worn bad and the dogs and gears/teeth seem fine..thanks..

Dave_

Welcome to the forum!

When you say "sets" are you talking about the ratchet gear on the setworks or the shaft cogs that run on the carriage blocks?  It's possible for one of the cogs to skip a slot and throw the headblocks out of alignment.  You need to measure from the face of each knee to the same tooth on your saw to see if they are equal.

If your problem is with the setworks itself, you probably have an issue with the set screw stop that regulates the length of movement of the setworks gear.  The setworks is a very low tech device that either works or doesn't.

Pics will help.

Kehoe585

basically I measured the knees to the blade on each..they are fine..but when I advance them, through moving the racheting roller..its hard to keep distance the same. So example would be, lets say you wanted to cut 4 ..one inch boards..can you move the device in the side of the racheting part that makes it stop..so you pull forward all the way to contact the bar that drives the other knee, and then take it back to the stop and then, the next full pull would equal 1 inch boards..? its simple, but not knowing how to set the stop correct is a real pain. Its grooved out to trip the lever that allows you to rachete forward or backward, but when you go back against the stop it trips it in neutral and thus you lose your starting point. kinda hard to explain..I will get pics tonight..

any other ideas on how to measure..like a tape of the carriage..? just curious and new to this..the rest of the mill I understand.

Sprucegum

I don't have an automatic stop so I use a tape measure. I fastened it to the part the knee rides in and have a wire sticking out from the knee that points to numbers on the tape. From there its just math; one inch plus kerf over and over.

captain_crunch

Here is how we cheat ah er saw wheel is on threaded base and it can be set anywhere you want it belive it is set fer 6 in in pic
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!