iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I had one of them nest under the chicken coop eves. No way for me to see in there but I could reach up and put my hand in the nest.Went from empty to eggs,than soft and fuzzy and than empty. I did have fun checking on those critters.Would be real quit when they hatched but as soon as I would touch them,they would come alive and start chipping.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

Here are a couple of clips of nests we discovered this weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvvb1JefLjU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmpWi_Kbfrc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

For those of you that can't upload the video, the first nest has been built in the boys' cedar shack.  Nick went to retrieve a small plastic tray with some rocks in it, but discoverd a bird had built a nest and layed some eggs.

The second video shows a momma bird defending her nest that she built down in the lifting arm of my shop crane.  She has 6 hungry chicks down in there that start chirping when they heresomeone coming near by. :)

Here are a couple of pics...

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Blue spotted eggs could be house finches, but that is a healthy nest.  Maybe you can get a look and see for sure what they are.  Our pair of house finches are busily building their nest in the hanging fern.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I get phoebes here, but I have not seen any yet. Not warm enough yet for flies and bugs to be too active.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Chris if the nest is hooded, could also be an ovenbird. Not sure if they like buildings, they usually nest near the ground and enter the nest on one side. House finch sounds more realistic though.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

That is one large nest for small birds such as a house finch or ovenbird.  I may be off base, but I am going to guess starling.  They will nest anywhere and bring in huge amounts of debris and stuff.  Look at the nest, there are leaves attached to some of those twigs.  I have had them nest in boxes in my barn before.  Very unusual with that sort of hood or tunnel entrance.

Well, have Nick spy on the nest for us to end this mystery.  Thanks for the pics and videos.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

I may have to retract my starling guess.  Their eggs aren't spotted.  Now I am more curious than ever.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

metalspinner

I'm going to guess Carolina Wren.

http://www.sialis.org/nestscarolinawren.htm

These eggs are tiny - about the size of a jelly bean.  Not those Jelly Belly things, but the real jelly beans.  We'll keep an eye on it and see.

Maybe she's back there right now....

doctorb

The video made the eggs look larger.  I think that you are right.  I have seen intricate nests for these little buggers before, and in some very unusual places.  Most do not choose open boxes or tupperware, like this one.  They like holes in things, like barn siding or bluebird houses.

beenthere

Our phoebes have been around for a few weeks now. Traditional nest is above a yard light at the peak under the overhang of the gable end of the shed. Leaves the nest when I get a few feet from the shed door.

Today, three indigo buntings have joined a flock of 25-30 gold finches, along with cardinals, rose-breasted grosbeaks, chickadees, doves, and just in the last few minutes a pileated wood pecker.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

miking

Heard swainson's  and wood thrush today. Like another poster said, the thrushes are among the best of bird songs.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SwampDonkey

Every morning it's like I'm in a robin rookery or something with the singing before daylight. Another thrush.

We have wood thrush around here, but mostly in the deep woods of mature forest. Never see one in the yard. I can here them most all day with the white-throated sparrow. A lot more shy than a robin.

thecfarm

The Kill Deer is gone. Only a few pieces of egg is left. I suppose a skunk,fox or whatever got the eggs. Have been looking at it with the binoculars but forgot about it until my friend came over with his both of his granddaughters.She would not get to see these things so down we went,to find it empty. Instead we went to throw rocks into the brook and see what the beaver had chewed off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Might have been hatched and moved off the nest. They will hide in the weeds and grass.  ;D

thecfarm

I did not think they would be hatched all ready.I was checking on them. Unless they can just about walk when they are hatched. I thought it took a while for them to leave the nest.I probably checked on them 2-3 days ago. Has a ways to go to hide in the weeds and grass. This nest was kinda in the middle of our blueberry field or I should call it blueberry barren. Not much grows there accept for the blueberries. She probably headed for the woods with them if they did hatch.

SwampDonkey

I think they leave pretty quick, maybe a few hours after hatching. I don't think they are naked like some birds, but more like a duck chick with thick down. I caught the little guys before, they run like road runners.

WDH

Chris,

Any nests in those logs  :) ?  Sorry, could not help but notice the very nice logs ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Not sure, Danny.  But I have been watching what I believe to be a starling bringing huge sawyer grubs to her chicks.  They are probably coming from the pile. ::)  There's a little bit of everything in there - from ash to walnut.

Here's a little clip of the progress of the chicks in the shop crane..  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhYPKU_hgIY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

SwampDonkey

There was a robin's nest in a spruce tree I tied a strip line ribbon on yesterday. She was making her presence known and wasn't happy. :D

Norm

Saw my first oriole yesterday, a male and a female checking out nesting sites in our big red elms next to the house. Would of never seen him except his song alerted me to his presence.

One of my favorite song birds.  :)

SwampDonkey

We have them here to, but I have not laid eyes on one for a long time. I thought I might have seen a brown thrasher perching in the white birch, tail and beak looked right. I was inside the house so I couldn't hear anything.

miking

Saw my first ever lark sparrow yesterday. Not really a rare bird but far more common out west than in Illinois. Also of note, saw cliff swallows, yellow-breasted chat and cattle egrets among other migrants.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Mooseherder

The Baby Sandhill Crane is getting bigger.
They came to visit us today and let me video right out the front door. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd9VvlJQ73k

Norm

Cool!

What are they after in the lawn?

Mooseherder

I don't know how they find them but those are earthworms they are eating. :)

Thank You Sponsors!