iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to replace the MS440 - ideas?

Started by OneWithWood, January 29, 2008, 10:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

My MS440 ate itself due to a crack in the air intake or something like that.

I need to replace it.  I currently have an old 038AV and a relatively new MS460.  I am looking at the MS441 as a replacement but the cost has me thinking.  For a lot less I could go with an MS361 but I am not sure it will really fill the bill. 

Currently I use the 460 with a 25" bar as my falling saw.  The 440 was my preferred limbing and bucking saw.  The 038 was crunched by the crawler and I rebuilt it but it is a servicable backup for the 440.

Pros and cons on the MS441?

What would you do?  I like Stihl and would like to stay with a Stihl saw.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

What length bar were you running on it? The 441 is the only model between the 361 and 460, yeah, I know but the 390 doesn't fall in the same class ;D. We have sold a few 441's to the log home builders and have had no issues. The air filtration system is a marked departure for Stihl and seems to be an improvement, less frequent cleaning needed. Just my $.02
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Well the 441 is the direct replacement for your old 440, and I haven't heard anything bad about it.

But it's very close size wise to your 460?

Personally I would get the 361, save a few $$ and enjoy the lighter weight for the limbing. You still have the 460 for the bigger stuff. Durability wise, they are both pro saws that should have similar long lives, so why carry more saw than you need  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Reddog

I have a 441. I like it alot.
The anti vib is best I have run.
The new air pre filter system works well also. No need to clean the filter but about every few gallons of gas.
It is heavy on the scale to the 440. But the torque is close to my dual port 046. And the saw does not fatgue you as quickly. I also have a 440 with a big bore kit on it. The vibs in that saw wear me down faster than the weight of the 441. All three cut about the same speed.
Here the real world weights Model, bar length, full of fuel and oil, on my fish scale.
044 20"  19#
440 BB 20" 20#
441 20"  21#
046 28" 21.5#

That said I agree with Ian, if you have a 460 look at the 361. Everyone I know that has run one really likes them.

Me, I would go and try both, see what you like.  :)

Corley5

IF I were so inclined to buy a Stihl it'd be a 441  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ladylake

I'd go with the 361, you'll like the lighter wieght and according to some on another forum they cut almost as fast as a 441, not that I believe that but in smaller wood it will cut good.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

OneWithWood

I ran both a 20" and a 25" bar on the 440 depending on the task. 

I will definately take a good look at the 361.  The lightweight could be beneficial.  I will have to weigh that against the improved anti vibe. 

Decisions, decisions.

I did not see a compresion release in the specks for the 441.  My 440 did not have one but I have seen a few with it.  Sure makes the starting a bit easier.
One With Wood

isawlogs

Robert , I have a 036 and also have the 046 and I really like my 36 , its quick light and has enough balls to get the work done , sure it aint the 46 but it will do a lot of work . I run mine with a 20" bar and run the 46 with a 24".
  I have a 38 and had a 44 the 36 dont cut like it , it dont have the humff of those but for limbing and cutting tree up to 16 to 18" I would have no problem taking it . Anything bigger I will use the bigger saw anyways .
  Just dont expect a 44 out of a 36 , aint gonna happen  :D But it is much lighter and we aint getting any younger to haul those big saws around . ( well I aint )  :-\ :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

a old timberjack

i log everyday  with a new ms441. the best power to weight ratio i seen in a while. the anti-vibe is " out of this world " no complaints at all. would like to get anotherone for a spare.  been thru 2 bars and  couple dozen chains still going strong, and YES, it has a compression release..........Brandon ....it takes my vote.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

OneWithWood

Just got my certificate fromStihl for the Tree Farmer of the Year award.  The cert is good for $350 towards any Stihl product.  That puts the MS441 in the price range of the MS361 without the cert. 

Ordered the MS 441 today.  Should have it by next week.  8)

I think I will try to pick up a cylinder, piston and air supply tube for the 440 and rebuild it.  No hurry to do it so I can take my time sourcing the parts.
One With Wood

zopi

I just put a 20" bar on my 660....down from the 36" for milling. ;D My comment was it's like cutting with a funny car...

Have phun with the new saw!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

scsmith42

Robert, contrats on your award and new toy! 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ladylake

Should be a nice saw, just so close to your 460.  Be carefull when you get those saws pinched, yanking on it  is what breaks the intake boot when it has a little age on it.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rebocardo

> the Tree Farmer of the Year award.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about that  :)

OneWithWood

Rebo, when I get a few moments I will post some pics of the cool sign I got for the property.  The pics will be in this thread

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,1400.200.html

also in that thread is a link to the radio interview of me at the ceremony.
One With Wood

SawTroll

Quote from: Ianab on January 29, 2008, 01:45:26 PM
Well the 441 is the direct replacement for your old 440, and I haven't heard anything bad about it.

But it's very close size wise to your 460? ....

The 441 actually is a tad heavier than the 460, so I see little point in a 441 when he has a 460........ ::)

The closest he can get to a direct replacement is the Husky 372xp. It weights a tad more than the 440, but still less than the 460.

This brings up the question if the 440 needs a direct replacement at all, as long as he has the 460 - as several others, I think a MS361 with an 18" bar would be sensible as the limbing saw, and can share the bucking with the 460.   :)
Information collector.

OneWithWood

It was a tough decision, SawTroll.  Granted the 441 is ever so slightly heavier than the 460 and it is definately heavier than the 361.  What it came down to was I have an 038 so a 361 is as similar as the 441 is to the 460 in power to weight (sort of).  The 361 is still the 'old' architecture whereas the 441 is very much new technology for Stihl.  I went with the more modern architecture.  Time will tell if I made the right decision.  Right now the weather is preventing me from putting any of the saws to work.
One With Wood

thor1721

Quote from: ladylake on February 15, 2008, 06:40:06 AM
Should be a nice saw, just so close to your 460.  Be carefull when you get those saws pinched, yanking on it  is what breaks the intake boot when it has a little age on it.   Steve

Also watch on the 441 if you pinch it how hard you pull. The cable that is in the spring for the anti vibe system can break if yanked on hard enough.  Congrates on the saw.
stihl 026 w/16"
stihl ms260 pro w/18"
stihl ms 441 mag w/20"

timberfaller390

I have a MS390 that I don't have any trouble running a 28" bar on and it will flat out get it with a 20"
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!