iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The life of a cabbage. (Picture intensive!)

Started by Jeff, October 12, 2012, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm not bear hunting this year, so had not put out any cameras, so Lou put one out across the road from my place on a trail on his property. He tossed out a few old cabbage he had, and this is just a smattering of the photos from that 1st week iof this October the cabbages existed on the trail.  When we tell people we don't have many deer because of the predators, some scoff. "Where are the pictures" they say. Well, we don't usually try to get photos of the predators as we are deer and bear hunters.  The goal this time was to get some idea of the deer that might be here. We didn't get many deer photos. Maybe a dozen or so photos out of a couple hundred photos were of deer.

BTW, the cabbage meets a fate that you might not expect. ;)

A few close ups

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

giant splinter

That camera does a great job, wondering what brand and model it is as I could use one here on the ranch.
roll with it

WmFritz

Never thought about using a brush hog to make coleslaw :D :D

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

More animals than the local zoo. ;D Looks like a family of 3 yotes. That seems to be what I have is a family of three because I see their tracks in winter. I never did put of a trail cam here, always intended to because the main path is an animal highway. Nice to see a few grouse around, they seem to like cedar woods as much as birch. But that might be because there are yellow birch in the cedar (after the seed). ;D

Wow a bobcat to, they are scarce here. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Good pictures and who could imagine the great variety of animals that travel by.  I suspect that those DanG coyotes are keeping the small game numbers down, and maybe even the deer by being predators to the fawns.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mooseherder

Jeff

They must like slaw.  :) These pictures are all from yesterday after slaw making. Sure was surprised to see a very nice buck.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I wouldn't shoot him.  First sign of anything worth spreading it's genes in quite sometime :)

Autocar

Amazing pictures how cool that must be to live and see so many different kinds of critters.
Bill

Jeff

It's one of the reasons why, that when I'm up here, its always hard to go home.

We also have wolves, cougar (documented by the DNR), Lots of bear, otters, beavers and many other assorted animals.

isawlogs

I need make myself a cabage patch photo taking center!  Getting a pic of the bobcat is cool, now getting a pic of a cougar , that would be super kewl   8)

Have cabage , have bushhog, have tractor, have wildlife, have road.... Can I get permission from the boss.. I'll take my chances when I get home and just doit.  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

I understand the comment about "not shooting".  As abundant as our deer are, restraint must still be used.  The 1996-97 season was the last time that I took the buck limit, (3) and I have never even come close to the doe limit. (5)

Until this past year we have abided by a self imposed one buck limit, but we did start allowing two last year.  Nothing to do with what is allowed or legal.  We are just managing our deer herd as we see it.

That 12th picture is a cat, but I do not see a tail.  Must be a bobcat.

Jeff

Yup, bobcat. If you look back at the first set of photos, you can see the bobtail. No way of knowing if it is the same cat.  I'm kind of curious if that trail corner has traffic like this all the time, as nothing really has eaten the cabbage.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

We used to box trap snowshoe hare and they wouldn't touch it or carrots.  They would apples. :D But domestic rabbits would eat cabbage and carrots and we fresh cut grass (by hand) for 'em to. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You keep putting food out there and sooner or later you'll see a member come by.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

I like cabbage. Steamed, boiled, fried, coleslaw.  ;D

Jeff

Mooseherder

Seeing sure is believing, and that is one busy area! :)
The game cam is earning its keep.

fishpharmer

Add a little mayo, relish and pinch of onion you might get a pic of poston or me eating coleslaw. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!