iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

028 Stilh

Started by turkeyhtrb, March 08, 2009, 10:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhtrb

My old 028 is breaking down and won't run after it warms up. Just replaced the coil ($100). Still have the same problem any ideas???

timber tramp

Lots of ideas ;) Is it getting fuel? Welcome to the forum.          :) TT
Cause every good story needs a villan!

turkeyhtrb

Fuel doesn't seem to be an issue--runs well for 8-10 min. then bogs down. will idle but sputters and stalls if you try to cut with it. After it cools down it will run well again for 8-10 min.. Could the new coil have been bad??? I love that old saw and hate to give up on it but it's almost to the point where shop visits are adding up to more then the cost of a new saw. I have a newer 280 but I like the old 028AV better.

Al_Smith

That sounds typical of a failure of a clutch side crankcase seal . After the engine gets warm it causes the seal to leak drawing in outside air which causes the engine to lean out and loose power . Continued usage under this condition will ultimately lead to an engine failure caused by a lean burn condition .

sablatnic

It could be the filter opposite the needle-valve in the carburettor. Or the fuelfilter in the tank.

turkeyhtrb

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I wrote them down to ask my service guy. Guess I'll take my old freind for one last "ride". Have been going to pick up a little bigger saw so this may be the time.

chipsfly09

I have put a lot of hours on my 028 and 031s-- Have since upgraded-- any thoughts on what you are looking to replace your 028 with?  Should be lots of info and opinions on that here--  Good luck

Long Look

A few years ago I had a similar problem.  As a last resort, my local repair guy changed the spark plug and the problem disappeared.  It's a cheap fix if it works.

sawasassin

Quote from: turkeyhtrb on March 08, 2009, 10:41:58 AM
My old 028 is breaking down and won't run after it warms up. Just replaced the coil ($100). Still have the same problem any ideas???

Hello i had the same problem with my 028 a yr  or so ago  and tried everything and finaly asked an oldtimer and he told me to take the muffler apart and take the screen out and it will be caked in burnt oil clogging airflow , then take a propane torch and burn the oil off screen the screen will clear of black tar ,then put back together and works perfect ever since  i guess we all put a little to much oil in our mix.

ladylake

It could also be a clogged tank vent, try loosening the gas cap after it kills and see if it will start right away.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

I've had tank vents do that before. When it dies, immediately crack your fuel cap open, close it back up and fire up the saw. If it starts and runs good for another few minutes that points to the tank vent. This happens a lot if your bar oiler is set too rich, or if you are running a light bar oil, lots of goo ends up on the vent and seals it off.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Like ladylake said ::) I need to pay more attention :)
Too many irons in the fire

Jim Spencer

Heh Turkey,
I had this problem with my 028 where it would run for a few minutes and stop and after sitting for a few minutes would start and run for a minute again. 
I was talking to a guy who has been cutting timber for a living and told him about my 028 and he told me that in the carburetor and under the cover there is a small screen about 1/4" in diameter that was dirty and plugged.
I took off the carb and took the plate off and cleaned the screen and this was definatly the problem.   Never had another problem.  I am 74 and have been using chainsaws since I was a teenager cutting pulpwood.  Now have a 066, 029, and my favorite the 028 which I bought about 5 year ago for $50 at a garage sale.  The 028 is my favorite and the guy that sold it to me gets thanked every year when he has his garge sale. His face got red when I told him how easy it was to fix it because he knew it had this problem when he sold it to me.
Be sure to let us know what you find to correct the problem.

Thank You Sponsors!