iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which beetle?

Started by Don P, April 07, 2019, 05:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

These guys have just hatched out. This is RO I sawed about a week ago. Which one is it? They are ~1/32", my eyes couldn't see any of this detail in real life. It looks like there are 2 ovipositor egg holes in the pic, left and right of the insect? We've warmed up into the 60's and are pretty much out of freezing weather. We've been borating and burning debris this weekend, the bugs are waking up from their winter slumber.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

As the lyctid powderpost beetle likes under 15%MC, and you just sawed this lumber, it must be a different insect. Or maybe it is just passing through and not in the wood.  A wild guess is a bark beetle.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Don P

It doesn't match pictures of lyctid or anobiid from what I can tell. There were a number of them on the boards. Some type of bark beetle does seem the most likely. My "egg holes" must be just random cell ends showing up in the pic.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!