iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Time Sawmill Purchasing Questions

Started by tcsmpsi, March 31, 2006, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Big E-?

please explain whatcha mean.  :) Evasion I presume?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

tcsmpsi

Hey, WoodWalker, you were right, up there in that north country they build them things pretty good.  Except, I walked around with Herman, though we did let Ed pipe in just a skosh, later on.

I got up there early enough that things weren't in full swing yet.  They only had one mill complete and ready to go.  I did get to see all phases of their construction, components, etc.   

I explained that I was looking for a mill to fill my personal needs and to work in a job every now and then for at least a year or two.  Talked about all the different aspects and construction of various options/applications. 

Of course, all this time, I have all these other mills/mfrs./prices/options running around in my brain, and I'm comparing teat for tat, trying to remember all those things I needed/wanted to ask, going back and forth from this station to that.  Kinda, sorta, intentionally acknowledging and seeking acknowledgement from some of the workers.

I got about all the tech information I could readily absorb, and we went and bottom-lined two machines, the LM1 and the LM 15 (we are about to get to the point where we let Ed pipe in).  Anyone who is familiar with these machinces, the LM15 has just been upgraded to hydraulic feed and head adjustment, instead of the electric...for the same advertised price.

Oh, did I mention?, that by this time, the playing field had narrowed CONSIDERABLY.

I gave it a lot of thought while we talked about 45's, shooting with mirrors, etc., etc., and ultimately (though both machines were within my reason) decided on the LM1, which is a manual feed, smaller machine. 

We let Ed print the receipt for the down payment, while spouting something about Herman thinking he knows it all.   ;D

Actually, I got the LM1 with trailer package, 6' extension and a dozen blades for a bit less than $6K. 

Why did I choose what I chose?

The LM1 is put together with the same criteria as the larger machines.  Their welds, fit and components are outstanding.  I'm not looking for high production right off, and I WANT to have a good feel of the workings at first, and during the learning process.  They are a manufacturer reasonably close (round trip was about 180 mi.), and, we just saw eye to eye on several things.  The LM1 is a heavy machine.  From what I can tell, it is as heavy built manual machine as there is out there.  Though by the time it came for me to ask, I already knew, but when I get ready to upgrade, they will take it in as trade, sell it for me, or whatever I need. 

But, the REAL reason for going to the LM1 rather than the LM15?

The wait on the LM1 is going to be 6 to 8 weeks.

The wait on the LM15 would be 24 to 28 weeks!

The 6 to 8 weeks won't be bad, because that will give me some time (between working my 'day job', working on house additions, regular maintenance, etc.) to get a place whittled out of the woods to set up mill/shed (thereby getting me some more logs).

But, 24 to 28 weeks!....well, I'd be old and grey by then.  (no mirrors, please)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Dana

Congratulations on your new mill! 8) 8) 8)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Mooseherder

Congrats on the new mill!
Looks like you will be making sawdust soon. Sounds like you got some value for your money.
Good Luck.

WkndCutter

Congratulations on the new mill.  Sounds like a great set up and a good deal.  Have fun.

Andy

tcsmpsi

Tick....Tock.......

Odd, isn't it?  My mind knows full well it was told 6 to 8 weeks.  And yet, the very same mind considers, "If it were just here now...".

Thank you for the congratulations, all.

When I got in yesterday evening, I had enough daylight left, and I believe I have changed areas as to where I will be setting up. 

Somebody has sure got their work cut out for them in getting that cleared.

I am going to need more gas, more diesel, more.... ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

tcsmpsi

I got the serial number for my mill yesterday.  That is at least some progress.   ;D

Though I won't have the mill for a while, yet, I believe I will work on getting some pictures posted of the process of getting ready for its arrival.

I have only mentioned in 'light passing' to 5 or 6 of my more regular customers that I "might be" getting a mill (always like to read the table while looking at my hand),  and I already have two stands of oak and a nice rack of red cedars awaiting "if" I do.   ;)  Seems that two have had not so good experpience with custom sawing, and await with relevant anticipation.
Though not as much anticipation as I. 

Thank You Sponsors!