iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

purchasing a used sawmill

Started by glassman_48, July 06, 2014, 02:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassman_48

I recently purchased 6 acres of commercial property on a main state highway in northern michigan.  I am planning on selling firewood related products on the property.  Eco bricks, wood pellets, firewood processors, bundlers log splitters etc.  I often get logs that are to large to go through my processor and I am contemplating buying a used sawmill too.  I am looking for advice on what would be a reliable smaller type sawmill to purcase.  I have been asking around our area to see if there is a market for the lumber, or using the sawmill to saw wood on a mobile basis.  I have had quite a few guys stopping by my logging site to see if I know of anyone with a portable sawmill.  This would probably be a couple of years off as I have a lot of work to get the new property ready.  If the right deal came along I would purchase a sawmill right away but dont have any basic knowledge of those products.  I am a guy that likes to stay busy, and I love being around wood in general.   thanks in advance for any advice,,,,,,,,,ed

Magicman

Your sawmill type/size/model would really depend upon your sawing/lumber market.  Try to locate a sawyer close by and make a visit.  Wood-Mizer has the Pro Sawyer Network that offers demos.

Also click on the sawmill manufacturers links on the sponsors banner to the left.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

glassman_48

magicman,
thanks for that info, I am looking at sawmills now online, and have been asking around to see what people's needs are in the area.  thanks, ed

glassman_48

Magicman,
I also saw last night on you tube another saw mill that has 2 seperate blades at 90 degree angles so the mill does the cutting and edging in one pass.  Interesting, I bet that one is not cheap,,,,,thanks again

Magicman

Sounds like a Mobile Dimension sawmill.  Not many around.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

A sawmill would be a natural for a firewood processing business.  I've seen logs cut to firewood (including walnut) that just about brought tears to my eyes.  You'll also find that some logs that won't make lumber in the usual sense (crothes & burls) have a lot of value to woodworkers and bring high dollar.  A few things to consider are, how many employees do you have?  What size logs will you be dealing with?  How many board feet per week?  Do you want to be portable?  Starting out with a manual mill can be a good option, especially if the mill has the option to add hydraulics as you can afford them.  Most manufacturers can put you in contact with an owner.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Corley5

I've sorted logs out of firewood to saw but I'm in the logging/firewood business.  Typically they get shuffled back into the firewood stream before they see the saw mill.  If you're in the firewood/sawmill business  ???  :)  8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

glassman_48

dboyt,
that is one of the reasons I was considering a small mill, I sold several logs to a guy that has a sawmill and he lived over an hour away.  I have plenty of room also.  I found a small manual mill for 2500 bucks, but at my age I am afraid I wont be able to heave the logs around.  My son is 30 but is only there part time.  I am still looking to see if there is enough potential buyers of lumber around.  I am right on a main highway just outside of our town so I will get plenty of traffic.   thanks,,,,,,,,ed

bandmiller2

Glassman, if you have a mill they will come, save your back (and other parts) and get a hydraulic mill. Design some cutesy wood sheds and have them on site ether built or kits. You  may find firewood will take a back seat. I'd plan on setting up stationary that way you'll be around for the other parts of your business. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

schakey

Hello glassman, on Route 76 on the west side of Akron,Oh there is a place that I pass where someone is selling firewood,mulch and lumber. I can see a
Woodmizer mill running.Someday when I'm driving by,and not in a semi,I want to stop and find out about the business and invite him to join this forum
if he's not already. Good luck and keep us posted. splitwood_smiley
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

bandmiller2

We have successful road warriors here but I have found folks with the "where with all" to haul the logs to you are easier to deal with and not green pilgrims. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

glassman_48

bandmiller and schakey,
thanks for your reply, I forgot to hit the notify button again.  One of my best friends owns a fireplace shop in my town, they found another fireplace store that was going out of business and purchased a bunch of 4" fireplace mantels with wood burning scenes (mostly wildlife) on the front edge that was still the rounded part of the log, they are selling those for 100 bucks a running foot.  I actually know the lady that does the wood burnings so that is another possible outlet for mill use.  My brother also owns a custom woodworking shop so there is the possibility of that too.  He used to use a sawmill that had a kiln to purchase his wood, it was a pain to buy his stuff because it wasnt edged.  The only reason I would buy a manual mill first is to mill enough wood to see if my ideas of what to sell would pan out and I dont have the extra money right now to purchase a hydraulic mill.  I have been dreaming of doing this for years, finally found the acreage and love being around the trees.  I took money out of my retirement account to purchase a firewood processor and I would probably have to do the same to get a better mill.  I am planning on going to the pig roast and hope to be able to get more ideas from people going to the pig roast,,,,thanks again,,,,,,,,,ed

Thank You Sponsors!