iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade storage box

Started by SawyerTed, September 17, 2018, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

I have searched for the last half hour for a photo of a blade storage box one of you gentlemen built. It was a flat pack type box. 

Used the search tool and I found photos of the Magic Can and Peter's sharpening shop but not the storage box. 

Could someone post that photo for me?  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Check page 3 in WV Sawmiller's gallery. I also believe that Chuck White has one.

hsg gallery -
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

That's it!  Exactly what I'm looking for!

Thank you MM!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 17, 2018, 05:20:54 PM
I have searched for the last half hour for a photo of a blade storage box one of you gentlemen built. It was a flat pack type box.

Used the search tool and I found photos of the Magic Can and Peter's sharpening shop but not the storage box.

Could someone post that photo for me?  

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 17, 2018, 05:20:54 PMThink it might be my box.

I am thinking of building a new one just a bit bigger in terms of the blades it will hold.
I will go and inch longer and wider with a inch more space between the keeper posts in the middle and I will use 1/2 inch plywood for the lid this time and 1/4" for the bottom. This box holds 15 blades But it gets a bit tight with that many. Even a 1/2 inch bigger would help. Not that I need more space BUT then all my blades will be in the same place. Also would put a piano hinge on it with a cleaner latch that doesn't catch on things. 

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, since I don't do real good about policing my gallery here.

I first made a double sided box and it was too heavy so I rebuilt them for one roll of bands. I used 1" X 1" stickers for sides and connected with $5 piano hinges. I used thin cut pine or poplar I sawed myself for sides. I cut 45's from 1" squares 1X6's for corners and put 2 rope handles in the middle so when I lift I close the box.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Bandit that's a very well thought design.   I like the blade keeper.

I'm building at least two.  

SawyerTed

Howard, yours was the original one I was thinking a about. 

I'll post photos of mine when I finish one tomorrow.  

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 17, 2018, 06:22:05 PM
Bandit that's a very well thought design.   I like the blade keeper.

I'm building at least two.  
Thanks Ted! Not sure who built the first one but I got tired of the coils in the back of the truck catching on every thing so I just did a hard, permanent shell of the Woodmizer shipping box. Did it in spring 2015

Its glued with that Gorilla Ultra Glue and I used 3/8" construction grade sheathing. Think I'd go G1S next time and varnish it to make it easier to keep clean.
Size wise the extra inch would not add a lot of weight for the box BUT 5 more blades will make it a bit harder to lift.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

terrifictimbersllc

I make these simple boxes to keep flat pack blades in.  The blades slide in and out of the opening in the top of the box. Two pieces of 1/4" underlayment or lauan 30" x 36.5", stapled to three pieces of 9/16" x 1-1/2" pine (30" sides, 2 pieces, and 35-3/8" bottom, 1 piece), with 1/2" galvanized 1/4" crown staples.  The hole is 3-1/2" centered, top of hole 6" below top of box, both sides, for a nice handle.  

These simple boxes are very handy for carrying plenty of blades of each style in the back of the truck standing against the side.  They hold up really well if they are kept dry (I put a sheet of rubber roofing over all of them when they are left in the truck in the rain). When left in the truck frequently for extended periods water will get to the bottom and delaminate the plywood where it is stapled to the bottom pine strip, this wears them out in 2-3 years.  But I have never had rusty blades because of this.

I can make 3 of these boxes from 2 sheets of underlayment in about an hour.  They are as functional as I need them to be, add little extra weight to the blades,  and it is no trouble to take 4 or 5 boxes of blades along if desired.   They keep the flat packs safely under control in the truck and at home even next to my wife's bicycle.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ljohnsaw

I'll have to snap a picture of mine.  I made it double sided - holds sharp blades on one side and dull on the other.  I don't like the blades pointing down into the plywood on the sharp ones.  Its just too hard to slide them around when loading or unloading.  I made mine with wood holding the blades in (where the metal clip is normally located) and an additional block to hold the loop up where they touch at the "top" of the box.  I've got 14 blades in mine right now and its pretty heavy.  I have another 10 or 12 in a very old WM box.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chuck White

The storage box that I made is for storing coiled bands!

There are a few pictures of it in my gallery!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

ljohnsaw,

My first set were doubles about 4" deep with one hook angle on each side but I found they were too heavy so I rebuild as singles. My first attempt I made the same size as the cardboard box they came in from WM but I forgot I lost 4" due to the strips so I rebuilt about 6" longer and that was too long. I used Luann for sides but when I rebuilt I figured why buy what i can make so made some 3/8" siding. My current size is 34" X 36" OD which means 32" X 34" ID and seems to be about the right size.

Based on other notes I saw I also keep my spare drive belts, band wheel belts and a spare drive belt in the open spaces in the "butterflies". That works good too.

TT,

The sleeves look nice but you have to remove all the bands to get one. I remove mine one band at a time leaving the others intact.

Sleeves, folding boxes (Single or Double), or Magic Cans all work. It is largely personal preference but at least viewers see some different options and can make their own choice.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

I usually use several blades of a given style in a day of sawing. I don't put them back in the boxes until the end of the day. The blades packed or unpacked always stay vertical.

One or two flat packs lean up against their  boxes against the tire of my truck and a fresh blade is removed one at a time from its pack as needed. When I start packing up, the packs just slide back in their boxes and the boxes slide down in the truck over the side wall. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

This is the first blade storage boxes that I remember seeing.

Peter (pnyberg) is no longer sawing nor active here on the FF.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Thanks for posting this one. I had seen the center "Clips" or "posts" and keep meaning to add them to my boxes and maybe now I will get off my duff and add them to mine.
Howard Green

Magicman

Just for fun, here is another of pnyberg's mods when he wanted a way to haul his arch on his sawmill:

Useful sawmill mods in Sawmills and Milling

DPatton

Reading all the different information on the fourm about blades and blade performance got me to step outside of my normal supplier this year and try some different blades. I ordered some Kasco 4*s and was surprised if not shocked when I recieved my first flat pack case of blades. I had only purchased coiled blades prior to that. I really liked these blades and delt with the cardboard flat pack best I could. Fast forward to August at the Forestry Forum pig roast where I ended up winning two cases of Woodmizer blades, again shipped in flat packs. Well for me the flat packs are a bit cumbersome, and trying to store them and haul them around in that cardboard box just isn't the best situation in the back of the pickup. So this weekend I gathered a few materials and used some of the design ideas from this topic to make the two flat pack storage boxes below.

W

W

I used 1/4" ply and some miscellaneous 7/8"x 1 1/2" material I had around my mill. I mostly followed WV Sawmiller's design with piano hinges and rope handles. I left some storage pockets in the corners for a bag of moisture wicking silica and some cable ties. In the future I think I will also make a couple of the flat pack sleeves like  Terrifictimbersllc has for storing bands awaiting resharpening. Hopefully this will make storing and transporting flat packs a bit easier for me. I'm looking forward to giving some of these new Woodmizer blades a try. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Chuck White

Good job, they really look nice and sturdy!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

You can store your spare belts in those big loops on the bands too. Hope it works well for you. Thanks for posting.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

I have to confess I started my first box before I started this topic. The result is a box I already don't like. The inside is too small and the whole thing is too heavy.  

Using the examples here, I'll have to make some bigger and lighter. 

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: DPatton on September 23, 2018, 11:30:27 PMIn the future I think I will also make a couple of the flat pack sleeves like  Terrifictimbersllc has for storing bands awaiting resharpening.
For sharpened blades, not for dull ones.  Usually take 3-5 boxes, that's up to 75 blades if all were full-they're not all full usually- which take up little bed space in truck.  Why multiple boxes: Usually one for 4s, one 7Ts, one with "spruce blades (7Ts set at 30-35), maybe an extra box of 4s or 7s if other has few blades, or a box of 9s or 10s I'm using up.  I'm loading up for 2 or 3 days sometimes. Also certain customers give me wood that eats blades.  Make sure I don't need to come home to get more blades. 

Blades in action.  Lift box over side of truck, set on ground by tire.  Tip blades back against legs and remove one from the back side.    Again take little extra space and little extra walking around. No looking for a place to open the box or bending over to the ground.   Works for me, your results may vary.

Dull bands get laid uncoiled in back of truck, I put my mega hook through them to make sure they all get home. :o :o :o After that, they get additionally cleaned if needed, treated for any damage etc, then hung up by the sharpener usually before I go into the house.  No packaging up dull bands.

DPatton

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 25, 2018, 07:08:10 AM

Dull bands get laid uncoiled in back of truck, I put my mega hook through them to make sure they all get home. :o :o :o 
:D :D :D That made my day! I'm glad it has happened to someone else besides me. On the bright side I saw it blow out and recovered it before anyone had the chance to run it over ;).

Your flat pack sleeve system makes sense to me and sounds like it works well for you. Thanks for taking the time to explain how you use them and how you remove a blade from the bundle.  
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: DPatton on September 25, 2018, 02:23:10 PMThat made my day! I'm glad it has happened to someone else besides me. On the bright side I saw it blow out and recovered it before anyone had the chance to run it over .
What you are suggesting never happened to me except in my imagination, thankfully.  Actually it would have been something that happened to someone behind me, should it have happened, which it didn't. 

SawyerTed

Update on my blade storage and transport frustration.  I built a flat pack type box that works ok for about 4 blades. Maybe it was my execution but I didn't like it.  Seems like it is always on the bottom in the bed of the truck. 

I thought about an old cooler which wasn't big enough.  I considered the Magic-can but was trying to avoid coiling blades. 

Then I was in the basement this morning.  Sitting in my way was an empty Sterilite storage bin.   So I have to resort to coiling blades but the 40 gallon tote holds a dozen or more blades.  

Magicman

I would not use that without two blades back to back and then with cardboard spacers to protect the teeth.  

Thank You Sponsors!