iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of log do I have

Started by Georgia088, October 31, 2018, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia088

Can yall tell me what kind of log I have?
Thanks!

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm thinking hickory.
Looks like it's been down a while.
How did it saw?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Georgia088

It was cut down last year, but it was dying when it was cut down.  I am pretty sure it is hickory because I saw nuts around where it was.  Any idea what kind of hickory?  I haven't sawn it yet.
Thanks!

Weekend_Sawyer

I know what it's not, it aint shag bark!
but if I had to guess I'd guess pignut.

If it isn't rotted inside it might make some nice lumber.
Please keep us posted.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

yetti462

Autocar

Yep Bitternut Hickory we call them Pig Nut Hickory around here
Bill

WDH

Bitternut and pignut are different species.  Pignut is a true hickory and bitternut is a pecan hickory.  The buds of bitternut hickory are sulfur yellow. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Georgia088

So, which do I have pignut or bitternut?
Which is better lumber?

To answer how it sawed.... unfortunately, this was what I found....

Any easy/good way to remove nails? This log may have to be firewood....

TKehl

A metal detector, vice grips, pry bars, junk chisels, drill extra drill bits, nips, and chainsaw plunge cuts all have their place.

The most important one in my opinion is a nail puller like this Crescent:

Crescent nail puller

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=78084.msg1185428#msg1185428
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

You cannot distinguish bitternut hickory from pignut hickory from the bark.  Bitternut has 7 to 11 leaflets and pignut has only 5 leaflets.  The buds of bitternut hickory are a diagnostic sulfur yellow.  The wood of all the hickories is indistinguishable except by group.  The pecan hickories have apotracheal parenchyma in both the earlywood and latewood.  The true hickories only have apotracheal parenchyma in the latewood.  However, the bark can be used to separate a few species like shagbark and shellbark. 

Bitternut is a pecan hickory.  Pignut is a true hickory.  Get yourself a hand lens and examine the parenchyma ::).  However, it really is not worth the time to do it as the wood is essentially the same.  smiley_devil ;D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Quote from: WDH on November 04, 2018, 07:48:56 AMThe pecan hickories have apotracheal parenchyma in both the earlywood and latewood.  The true hickories only have apotracheal parenchyma in the latewood

say_what

I feel like "Cindy" starting at 1:35 in this clip with "The Architect"....;D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwBdygg7Go
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Autocar

Never to old to learn I always thought Pig hickory was just a slang word for a Bitternut thanks guys !
Bill

Georgia088

More than just nails in this bad boy! Three blades later and I have about 5 beautiful slabs, but I can't keep ruining blades!! This sucks!  Sorry for the bad pictures it was getting dark.  It is a large chunk of jagged metal plus I've cut/pulled probably 8-10 nails.

It would make some pretty wood, but...

WDH

Apotracheal parenchyma in hickory can be very scary.  The paratracheal parenchyma is not quite as scary. 

Thank You Sponsors!