iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln wall insulation

Started by xlogger, November 04, 2015, 06:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I hope to get started soon as the rain stops on my new kiln. I see where I can buy some 2" polyiso foam boards for a good price, that says it has foil on both sides for a moisture barrier. I was going to build the walls with an 1/2" insulation board on the inside with the moisture barrier there, insulation in the walls and a 2" foam board outside. Would it hurt to have the outside with this board with foil on both sides also? I am planning on covering the outside board with wood panels probably board and batten. Also could I use this 2" polyiso boards under the concrete floors?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I believe that the foil backed foam, polyisocryanulate, if used on the outside under the board and batten, could trap moisture in the wall since you will also have a vapor barrier on the inside.  You can get 2" polystyrene that does not have the foil backing, and use this on the outside. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

That's what I was planning on doing but saw this on CL for about 1/2 price.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Saga Dan

I would not use polyisocyanurate insulation under you slab.  It will absorb moisture, break down, and become useless.  Use an extruded polystyrene with a high enough psi compression rating for your under slab application.  It will not absorb water and will stand up the the compression of the slab and building above it.
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

xlogger

Cazzhrdwd

I had spray foam sprayed in, makes a great moisture barrier. Its a little pricey but works wonderful.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

CedarDude

Not sure if this is a solar kiln or not but there is the issue that rigid foam board starts to lose integrity (melt?) at 165F so application on interior walls could be an issue? That said, I've seen posts by folks saying they have used rigid foam in their kilns with no apparent problem.

Tree Dan

I would frame it, then call in a contractor to spray it.
It will cost a little more, but you will be glad you did if you want a no draft great R - Insulation.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

jaciausa

What are older reefer trailers insulated with? I have one that I want to use for kiln.

Thank You Sponsors!