iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

please help identify this portable band saw mill

Started by hotbabehunter, May 21, 2016, 02:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbabehunter

-after 26 years of tree cutting, and wanting a saw mill, I finally found and bought an old used broken band saw mill that I could afford and thought I would want to operate.

--I was holding out/waiting for a woodmizer, diesel hydraulic, automatic, lt 40  or bigger. reality has it's ways of setting in, it was either this or waiting another 25 years? there was and is always something else with greater financial priority.

--can some knowledgeable people out there tell me what type/model/brand mill this is?  I need to buy some parts to make it operational again.

--any ideas where markings would be to identify? etc I can not believe that it does not have bolted on, or riveted aluminum plates with data on them, that I can find.   

--seems too professionally done/made to be home made.

--I live in south Carolina, in the united states, but it seems like many  of these portable saw mills get bought and shipped all over the world like the lucas saw mills

--maybe someone can recommend a person or company that would know how to identify this mill?

--everything might be found in an industrial supply store, but it sure would be nice, if some company already had the specs on each item and a few on the shelf.

Satamax

an old oscar hudson 52 or something like this?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Josh3760

Josh

Nomad

I don't believe that's a homemade mill, but I don't recognize it either.  The bandwheels are pretty distinctive.  That should identify it to anyone who knows what it is.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

lewis

it looks like it could be a old mity mite, they played with band mills for a time,they were pretty good mills

47sawdust

What part of the country are you in?It would help us make a guess.MightyMite still makes band mills and you are right.Lewis, it does look similar in an old sorta way.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

ozarkgem

Quote from: lewis on May 21, 2016, 05:35:00 PM
it looks like it could be a old mity mite, they played with band mills for a time,they were pretty good mills
My Mighty Mite looks nothing like this.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, hotbabehunter.  I have no idea about your sawmill but adding your location to your profile could help with future questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

When I saw the first pic, the first thing that came to my mind was an early model Timber Harvester!

Probably wrong, but that's what I thought!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't know....but you could find a Woodmizer 200 years from now and know who exactly made it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brad_S.

Quote from: Chuck White on May 21, 2016, 08:52:18 PM
When I saw the first pic, the first thing that came to my mind was an early model Timber Harvester!

Probably wrong, but that's what I thought!

TH snatched their machine design from Silva Saw or Silva Craft...something like that...which Baker later bought. It looked essentially the same throughout its production life so that saw is not a TH.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Hiway40frank

Take a look around the trailer hitch. I know in NY if its road legal it has to have a stamp/nameplate identifying its make and specifications.

47sawdust

Send a picture to MightyMite.They could tell you right off.The backstop lever looks like an earlier version of what is on the MiniMite.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

scully

All hydralic ? Holy cow ! I wanna see this thing mill some lumber . !!
I bleed orange  .

york

Albert

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Cedar Eater

Cedar Eater

5quarter

definitely not a home brew, but it may be shop built...That is, built by a machine shop that normally fabs other things. That might explain the decals but no brand name.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

redbeard

Looks like it might be a proto design band mill of yet to be determined manufacturer.
Lots of shop time and thought goes into the proto type mill. It might have features on it that were never mass produced due to cost.
There's some proto woodmizers Lt 70 still  up n running from the 90s making boards in Oregon .
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Hilltop366

No idea what it is but I bet you can get almost every replaceable part from an industrial supply store.

Thank You Sponsors!