iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boom fell off forwarder

Started by Frickman, November 27, 2006, 09:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

Saturday afternoon I was offloading logs from my Tree Farmer forwarder out by the roadside when lo and behold, the boom fell off! Where the big hole is at the end of the boom that it pivots on there had been an old, old crack for many years. It was almost halfway around, but I never saw it. Well, the other half of the boom decided to do the same and the boom literally fell off the machine. Noone hurt, no hoses torn off, and it happened right next to another knuckleboom loader I have, so I couldn't ask for a more convenient breakdown. Just have to do a lot of grinding and welding to get it all back together.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Tom

You lucky stiff.  I would have been in the swamp in knee deep water and a foot of mud and the tractor would have quit too. 

That's emptying two "luck" pockets at once.   My good luck pocket is so full, it just about pulls my trousers off.  I pulled my bad luck pocket out the other day and it just flapped in the breeze.  If I can keep it empty, I don't know what I'll do with the other one.  :D

Jeff

I was a month longer getting my pine logs last year for the shed when the same thing happened to Putsy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frickman

Tom,

You're DanG right I'm lucky. I'm getting these logs a mile or so back in the woods, up on a rocky ridge. A four-wheel drive pickup can get back to it, but it's a whole lot easier working on something out by the road.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

woodbowl

Thats something that doesn't happen very often. Glad no one was hurt.

What ... no pics?  :-\

How about some pics of the repair? I guess we can settle for those.  ;D
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

thecfarm

You have that forwarder trained.    :D    ;D  Glad no one got hurt or it did not land on anything else.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tom on November 27, 2006, 09:16:49 PM
I pulled my bad luck pocket out the other day and it just flapped in the breeze.  If I can keep it empty, I don't know what I'll do with the other one.  :D

Sounds a lot like my two back pockets, they're always empty except for the twigs and fir needles I have to empty every time I leave the woods. My two front pockets have holes in them.  :'( You wear the same red shirt, well I gotta wear the same pair of pants.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Are they Spalted, like Dang's?  :D :D

SwampDonkey

Not yet, but I put a snag hole in them sunday crawling over a fir or cedar snag.  ::) ho hum  :(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Hey there Frickman. If 'in you got picture I can post'um.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ron Scott

We've encountered broken forwarder booms a time or two, but they do get them repaired or replaced. Sometimes extensive down time though, especially on replacement. :'(
~Ron

Corley5

Gonna have to check for cracks  ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Cedarman

If there ever was an example of the unexpected that boom breaking off is one of them.  Things happen so fast and unexpectedly.  Just thinking of people that get too close to trucks loading and unloading logs.  It is not just a log coming loose.

I am with Tom on the using up the good luck bits two at a time.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

I know of one guy with an old Dion forwarder, he's always welding it up. I think by now it must have about as much weld as original iron.  ::)

sawguy21

My back pockets often have a wrench or two or a screwdriver that I am looking for. Untiil I sit down. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Scott

While staying in Pictou, Nova Scotia, I worked with a guy who was a heavy equipment mechanic/welder and also owned a small logging outfit. He told me about a buddy of his who ran a Tree Farmer C6 forwarder that broke completely in half at the articulation point while loaded with 16' hard maple  :o. He said that the cab was driven out to the road while the rear was unloaded by another forwarder and towed out. Everything was blocked up and rewelded. Its been running for about 10 years now without anymore problems.  8)

Frickman

Sorry guys, no pictures. I'm not bright enough to post them. We're getting it ready to put back together. Should have it together in a week or so.

I'm with Cedarman, I don't like people around either. No matter how good the operator is, he can make a mistake or something can break.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that's one of my things to look out for when approaching a wood yard. I don't even like parking the truck near the scales or in the path of a long pile that might role. 

Coon

Was just wondering on how the repair went.  Hope you have it fixed and paying its own repairbill.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Frickman

We started putting it back together Saturday, and had a little problem. When the boom fell off the boom cylinder contacted the yoke that holds it and put a small dent in it. Well, that dent leaks fluid when you put pressure in the cylinder when you raise the boom. So off it came and we took it in to the local hydraulic repair shop this morning to get welded. Hopefully the dent didn't go into the bore and the cylinder can be saved. It's just another small delay. In the meantime I've been getting logs cut ahead so there will be plenty of work for it when it gets fixed.

Coon

The hurdles one has to cross to get things fixed sometime are just so tedious.  At other times expensive.  Hope things work out on the cheaper side of things and you get it up and running.  We could sure use some pics of the situation.  ;D

Brad.

Frickman

We got it running this morning, and have at least a week's work lined up for the forwarder, so life is good.  :) :)

Coon

Glad to hear that you got it up and running again.  Hope it'll pay it's own repair bill before you have anymore probs with it.

Brad.

Thank You Sponsors!