iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody out there logging solo?

Started by TexasTimbers, December 28, 2006, 07:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

How many of you go out into the bush and go it alone?

How many that do, have had a "close call"? It wouldn't have mattered if anyone had been there its just that I would have went missing and around 7:00 my wife would've know sumptin was wrong since dark thirty happasn before six and I didn't tell anyone where I was going to go log, or that I even was going to go do it at all.

I found out late yesterday that it isn't going to rain until tomorrow, unlike they had originally forecast. That changed my plans. I hooked up to my gooseneck, loaded my skidsteer, and about 2:30 and off I went. I got to the site about 3:15. Not much day left in the big scheme of things. I went to unlock my toolbox to grab my saw. Figured I'd take one saw in and travel light. I couldn't find my key. In my haste I had left it on the chainsaw bench at the shop. I didn want to waste a trip, and I knew I could buy a replacement lock mechanisn at Tractor Supply so I broke into my toolbox. It did take about 5 minutes those things are stout.

Should have taken that as a warning but not to be detered I persevered. I flopped the ramps down, drove the skid off loaded it with a saw/oil/gas threw on some chaps (or izat shaps?), hooked the skidding tongs on and off into the wild yonder I go to snatch some walnut and honey locust I knew was residing deep into this tract I occassionally work.

I was making a new path for the skid steer as I had only walked in this far before. I would walk ahead a hundred feet or so and determine my best path for skidding the logs back, and finally scouted the cluster of walnuts and 2 nice honey locust (one standing dead but nice and solid still) I had made a mental note of in the fall. Now this doesn't sound like much but I was already a little tired from the previous activities of the day, and here i was all pumped up and adrenalized scurrying through thicket trying to beat sundown, and it's like going in for the kill sort of. Hate to sound that way but I have not been logging long enough for it to no longer be loads of fun and exciting.

I dropped 2 walnuts in quick order, limbed and bucked to 9' lengths and left one a 20' to add to my long-length flooring pile already set aside to air dry just in case I need al little more for the house. I studied and figured I could drop that honey locust without crossing one of the segmented walnuts laying there before I would have to skid the sawlogs out and drop some more. I'm guessing this was around 4:30. The shadows were getting long to still be dropping but things were going smooth and I was making real good time. The envrionment is thick with trees of many species and sizes. Lots of vines growing all over too, and it is usualy necessary, almost always, to clear an escape path or two from the tree. I had been doing this and running even when i thought it "unecessary" once when there was no overhead hazard visible. One of the walnuts just simply had no limbs from neighboring trees that were a potential fall hazard but I egressed anyway as I ALWAYS do.

After I skidded that group of sawlogs to the trailer, not taking time to get some water from the truck even though I was thirsty I went back in, full throttle (I never do that) in a hurry, and dropped two more walnuts, the other honey locust, and vowed that would be the last for the day. I knew I was pushing it as to daylight by the time I got all the logs and skid steer loaded, chained and boomed, and finally got a drink of water because I was parched (was in a hurry remember there not even any time to throw a bottle of water in the skid cab right?), tired, and getting cold because in my haste I had not thrown a jacket in the truck. It was draped right over the ring of keys having the toolbox key on it, on the chainsaw bench, as I later discovered. That's why I didn't notice it.

Bucked and skidded the logs out and when I was dragging the last locust sawlog out that's when I saw it. A box elder that was too big to pass up. I made a note of where it was, got the locust to the pile by the trailer, and proceed to load the logs onto the trailer. Went quite quick but still the sun was nearly down by this time and twilight was about all that was left. I figured I had at least 15 minutes before I could not see well enough to drive through the bush anymore without driving blind.

"Let's see . . . 5 minutes in . . . . 5 minutes out. Gives me 5 minutes to core sample, drop it if it's solid, and drag the entire 30ish foot log out and load it like it is. One end at a time......." Well I figured I could save time by not core sampling so I headed into the bush with strike-mission focus. Got the area, left the skid app 75' away, grabbed the saw, looked around, no overhead dangers I could see (vision was at a premium though), pulled the cord and layed right into the leaner (ALL of the box elders seem to be leaners) with a notch cut, plunge cut, looked around once more and made the back cut. Heard that nice CRACK, killed the saw, backpedaled about five feet and just stood there. Don't ask me why I was even thinking, I just stood there. "I wasn't even thinking" sums it up.

After the fall, I was about to step forward, saw still in hand, and detach the main log from the split of branches when my whole world exploded right in front of me. Smash!!! Crack!!! More that a smash crackle pop whatever that rice crispies thing was. It sure is suprising how a rotten tree can shake the ground when it falls alkmost in your lap. you actually feel a rush of wind when it goes by your face . . . . less than two feet away!

I have no idea how this tree fell. It was rotten enough to fall obviously but it was still so significant that I know it shook the ground. I have had some close calls in life but I truly nearly wet my pants. My knees went to shaking and I got kind of sick to my stomach. that has never happened before. I havenearly gotten killed before doing stupid things when I was younger and never missed a beat. But this was so close that if even there had been a part of a rotten branch left on the exact wrong part of the tree where I was standing it would have got me. The tree itself nearly did.

I turned to the skid steer and left the scene. I can only surmise that I didn't egress because I was tired and lazy and not thnking. I can also only guess that perhaps a vine was attachted to that tree, which, I'm guessing was 40' away maybe 30, and when the box elder fell it was enough to drag the ? ? ? with it. It was a large tree, still had some bark on it so maybe the base was more rotten than the rest of it but I didn't study it very long.

I posted this knowing you old timers can't belive how stupid I was, but if one "newbie" finds himself logging anytime in the future, and knows deep down he's getting in too much of a hurry, maybe he will remember my close call, and stop dead in his tracks and call it quits for the day, before he gets stopped dead in his tracks because he didn't.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Cedarman

I log a lot solo.  Since I know I am by myself, I do not get in a hurry. I take a break once in a while to just enjoy the woods. Might even take a walk to check out the other side of the hill or plan a skid road.  When working tired, but not too tired, I know to pay even more attention to my surroundings. Make sure to look for springpoles etc.

I can't remember any real close calls.  But I do remember a black locust about 18" dia with the butt whizzing off the stump and sliding down hill about 15'. I always go 45 degrees away from the cut and move as far as I can get.  That one made a believer out of me to never move straight back from the tree.

I have been thumped on the helmet with a small limb or two that came out of nowhere to get my attention. I did fill my chainsaw sprocket full of kevlar threads when cutting small cedars at 2' high just to kill them on a clearing project when I got out of sync and lifted my knee at the wrong time.  Love them chaps  (SHAPS)
Someone knows where I am logging and I call home at first opportunity when leaving the woods.

Dead limbs and dead trees are not called widow makers for nothing.

Kevjay, glad you are fine.  Make yourself a set of safety rules that you follow religiously.  There's that old saying, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

Kevjay, That's a good reminder for us all.  Just glad it didn't get you.  Several years ago a neighboring farmer was killed when the 40 foot or so log he was skidding with a small tractor levered a standing live tree and rootwadded it.  It hit him and knocked him off the tractor, which then spun him under the wheel and kicked him out the back.  He didn't have a chance.  This also occured just about dark, and I think he really couldn't see what was happening behind him
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

sawguy21

Glad you are ok. :o I have gotten in trouble from being in a hurry too but never came THAT close
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Blue Duck

I log primarily by myself. I skid and load with a John Deere 4430 (big tractor).  Often if I need trees to fall a certain way and be dead on accurate to miss others I'll make my make my notch to create the hingwood, then I'll raise the loader forks up about ten feet and put plenty of pressure on the tree.  Then when I forward cut it the tree is already headed in that direction.  My most recent close call came a couple months ago when I was using this technique on a big virgina pine.  I had the notch a little to deep and I go halfway through my forward cut and the tree snapped right there at the cut.  Just POPPED and sat back down on the stump, resting in the forks of the tractor and against the branches of a little pine infront and to one side of it.  Now here's the delimma.  If I back up it leans back toward me killing the tractor and possibly me.  If I push forward the branches it's resting on become the fulcrom and the bottom moves forward, again crushing me and the tractor.  My what a little pickle we've gotten ourselfs in  :-\   .  Now the breeze starts getting up just a little.  

To shorten this up I rounded up all the chain I could find and tied it to the cut pine and stretched it out, under the tractor, to the tree behind me and tied off.  I eased the tractor forward with only half of my tail in the seat and when the tree started headding in the right directoin I body slammed it.  That was a good time to shut the tractor off and sit down for a cigarette to calm my shaking hands.  
I don't know what your ambitions are in life..
but you ain't gonna get them done drinkin decafe coffee

Bill in U.P.

I've log alone also. Even though I've been cutting trees for 20 years and probably up in the 100's of trees I don't consider myself a logger (maybe very experienced homeowner). This being the case I remember to be extra careful and try to work cutting trees a max of 6hrs. including limbing,skidding and bucking. I've had the widow makers come down like spears after the trees been down a few seconds. Things like that and your experience stick in my mind while cutting. We really don't have vines up here but intertwined branches could do the same thing. One other thing I'll be aware of.

MDP

I would imagine that most of us have logged alone more than a few times,I know I have, and yeah we all know we're not supposed to, but hey boys will be boys won't we.
I would guess that if you would have gotten further away from the stump it still would've been a close call. Any time an extra tree falls especially one that wasn't in the plan, makes for a serious adrenalin episode, and a good story/lesson for us all. Thanks for sharing your story Kevjay, and glad you're still intact.

Mark

Dan_Shade

Glad you're ok, kevjay.  it's good to get scared sometimes.

Ghost River Timber CO., pushing a tree over with a tractor or loader can be risky business, the problem is often you are pushing below the center of gravity, which can make the tree flip over the wrong way, especially if you end up with a holding wood problem.  wedges and ropes high in the trees are much safer.  Be careful out there :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Cedarman

For trees that just gotta hafta go in a certain direction, I put a winch line and put tension on the line.  Notch and make certain I've got hinge wood.  Then using the winch line which is played out a lot longer than tree is tall, pull it to me.  I can even pull at an angle if I have enough hinge wood.  Also, I have used lots of chain and a come along.  I tie off as high in the tree as practical.

Trees hung in other trees have the nasty habit of flinging branches back in the direction the tree fell from.

leweee

kevjay....glad to hear you survived that flogging incident. ;D

Flogging : logging while fatigued, tired ,dehydrated or sick.

Yes I log alone. Dig it or don't, It's more dangerous with people standing around
that aren't aware of the hazards.When logging with a partner always stay Two tree lenghtes away from each other while cutting.Most chainsaw accidents happen late in the day. Living alone, I always leave a note on the kitchen table with date ,time & location of where I plan to be cutting. Neighbors watch out for me and I confirm when I'm home safe.(cellphone reception is unreliable in this area)
Have had my fair share of close calls....Spring poles, rotten limbs falling(Vines attached to other trees in the canopy you didn't notice) trees that hangup in other trees....just to name a few. ::)
Being an older person (past my Prime & Know it) not spry & limber like I useta be,I have rules I try to stick to now.
      1) Pace yourself.(Tough concept for the younger generation)
      2)no Flogging
      3) stay hydrated (causes less brain fog in critical decisions)
       4) know when to call it a day(kind of a repeat of #1)
I do my Felling early in the day.....Bucking and Skidding in the afternoon.

Play safe out there and have Fun  8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Onthesauk

Thanks for the report kevjay and glad you're OK. 

I log alone 99% of the time and have never had a problem.  But I've got a lot of trees down or partially down from our last big snowstorm and found myself in a rush, late in the day, trying to get just a little bit more done.  Good reminder that it's just not worth it!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

beenthere

Big tractor or not, I don't put equipment in the line of fire when falling trees. The trees outweigh the equipment (let alone don't match the cost of replacement), and add a dimension to falling that doesn't need to be 'in the way'. Just my opinion, but falling with proper notching, back cuts, and wedges will do the job (with maybe a pull-line long enough to keep equipment out of the falling circle can help the safety zone).

Can't run away from a piece of equipment that needs to be removed or saved from a possible demolition derby. IMO.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Fallers here are reqired to have work with a partner or have a "babysitter" within earshot.Even so,most fallers now will have radios and check in regularly with each other.If someone doesn't check in,their partner will stop work and go looking in their quarter till they have visual or vocal contact.
It may seem to be overkill but it saves lives.My dad's two brothers were falling partners from the early 1950's until July 13 1993. They were falling small clearcut patches,separated by blocks of timber but were far enough away that they had no contact with each other so a babysitter was hired to check up on them.
Around 9:30 am the babysitter heard my uncle's emergency whistle that hangs from his suspenders,and ran to his quarter.He found my uncle up against a stump alive but with a badly broken back  from a snag.We were all alerted and after 3 hours or more,he was airlifted out with a helicopter.
Even though he was found right away and was kept covered in blankets and jackets,he became extremely cold and had clenched teeth.I'd hate to think what would have happened if he wasn't found til 9pm.  :-\
He was 58 years old,and recovered eventually but couldn't return falling because of his injuries.
Another local case involved two other fallers,brothers both in their late 60's now.One brother somehow suffered a serious cut to his abdomen with the chain that required the other brother to stuff his guts back in for him and carry him on his back up to the road,in the truck and to the clinic(small town,no hospital then)
He wouldn't have made it by himself.

Don't leave yourself a grisly sight for a family member to find and haunt them for the rest of their lives.Work with a partner or have a proper check in procedure in place.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ron Scott

Good Advice! At least always let someone know where you are working, leave a map of the location with your access route and have scheduled check in times with a responsible party if you are working alone. Also be especially careful if you are doing muli-tasks alone, such as falling, skidding, loading/decking, etc etc.

I checked a logging job a few years ago. As I walked in I heard the cable skidder running, but didn't see anyone around. As I walked towards the unmanned skidder, I heard someone moaning in pain and then saw a body under the skidder.

As I thought the worst, the fallers upper body was exposed, but one thigh was under the rear tire of the skidder. He was in severe pain and asked me to move the skidder off his leg which I slowly did. It was obvious that his leg was broken. I gave what first aid that I could and called the mill for an ambulance and waited with the faller until it arrived and the paramedics took him out of the woods to the ambulance.

The situation was: The faller's partner and skidder operator did not show up for work that day, so he falling trees and cable skdding tree length by himself. He was hooking trees on a slope for skidding when the skidder brake let loose and rolled backwards. As he tried to jump out of the way the rolling skidder knocked him down and ran over over his leg and pinning him under it.

Needless to say, that it would have been a long painful day for him if I hadn't been checking the job early that day. The mill also lost a very productive faller for some time and I had a scare that I won't forget.

~Ron

Larry

Another solo logger...and I worry about getting hurt or worse.

So how do we make it safer...I will throw out few ideas and maybe some of you can add to the list?

•    All safety gear
  •    Blood stopper stuffed in my helmet
  •    Cell phone
  •    Take a break when I get tired and never rush
  •    Tractor running and pointing in the right direction for a hasty exit
  •    Boss knows where I'm at and what time I should be home
I have learned over the years if I make a mistake like hanging a tree, the very first thing to do is sit down, rest, and clearly think out the best course of action.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

submarinesailor

Hey Larry,

Could you define what you mean by "Blood stopper".  Something new on the market or a clean towel?  If it's something new, do you have a link or source?

Bruce

KGNC

Sometimes it doesn't matter if your by yourself or not. Last spring I was felling a couple of nice size oaks for my dad. We had both trees on the ground with no problem, I was standing by a decent sized hemlock that was just behind the oaks. Apparently there was an dead oak limb laying in the hemlock. All of a sudden I was knock to my knees when the limb came down and caught me on the shoulder. Put a good scare into me.
When accidents happen I try to consider what I should be doing different. I really don't know anything that I could have done to prevent this (except stay at home)  Logging can be dangerous.

Reddog

Do a google search and they pop up.

Cederroth Blood Stopper Description:
The bloodstopper is a highly effective dressing for controlling a large open wound in a major trauma call. The highly absorbent dressing is attached to an elastic gauze wrap for easy, conforming application. The fanfold design allows the product to store compactly while in use expands to a generous 118" in length. Individually packaged sterile.

Bro. Noble

That ain't what John Steinbeck was promoting as 'blood stopper' in his book 'Grapes of Wrath' :o :o  Any 'literaries' out there? ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ed_K

It doesn't have to be late or dark. A month ago I was cutting sawlogs, had a double b/birch sawlog and cordwood trees growing next to each other. I cut the sawlog moving out of the way till things settled. Hooked my tape to the butt and went down the log marking bucking cuts and limbing. Was out 30' when I got hit, the top of the cordwood tree had a double top and half of it came down. I got both shoulders bruised and my pride shot. Figure the cordwood tree was being supported by the sawlog tree. If I had been closer to the butt the 9" top would have done it.
Things to do,
Wait a little longer,maybe take a break before limbing.

Always look up after cutting a tree, I've had branches come at me in a triangle from a top of another bouncing it.

Have emergency info taped inside your hardhat.

I have a cell phone + a whistle on me, landowners informed to come or call for help if they hear the whistle.

I have a info board in the office to write down where I am(especially when you change jobs or locations)

If pulling a tree I climb up on the roof and get the cable as high as I can, then use a pulley to achieve an angled pull.

Try to be safe always.
Ed K

Jeff

Larry might be referring to the cheaper version that I know some fellers carry. They are purchased in the womans section of the grocery store. A packaged Kotex pad and a roll of elastic ace bandage in a ziploc bag. You can keep it tucked up in your hardhat.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Everybody has had close calls,driving a car,working in the woods,and more.Things happens and hind sight is 20/20.Seems like my pitfall is when I don't double check myself.Every time I don't something will happen it seems.I always try to look around or up twice when I'm in the woods.You just never know what might happen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Kevin, that's quite a message.  Looks like the Man upstairs was watching out for you though.  Thanks for sharing - I know that it will reinforce my efforts to be careful.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Faron

You wiil remember a near miss like that for a long time , and be safer for it.  Mine came in July of 96.  I was a volunteer firefighter then, and that morning had done a particularly gruesome extracation at the scene of a head-on crash of two semis.  First tree after I got back was a 18 in  red oak that needed to be cut into a pile of tops.  It had to go over a spring loaded elm about 5 in in dia.  I figured rather than cut the loaded elm, I could just cut the oak on it, and it would go ahead and mash it down and break it off.  Cut it, and stepped back at an angle to see if it was going the right way.  Perhaps my mind wasn't fully on my work, but events proved I didn't get far enough back.  The oak got on that elm on the way down, and began to whip and roll.  It shot back about 10 feet, and slid or rolled 10 feet sideways, slapping me up against another tree.  This thing pinned me by the shoulders to the tree, still rolling, and vibrating from the whipping.  It almost felt like being squeezed by some kind of animal.  I felt and heard popping in my chest and shoulders.  Figured it was way past time to vacate the area. ;)  Yanked my shoulders out, and the thing whipped a little higher, and pinned my head against the tree. :o  Got my head out, and made tracks for the skidder trail.  In the meantime, the tree butt landed on the saw I had dropped in the excitement.  Fell to my knees on the trail, blood dripping from my face.  My brother in law and two nephews had watched the fiasco, and came running.  I was sure the left side of my face had to be in bad shape, and asked them how bad is it.  Couldn't believe it when they said it didn't look too bad.  I  told them they weren't seeing it from MY point of view. :D  The results: Trip to the ER, Skinned up face, skinned up shoulder, cracked collarbone, chainsaw DOA, slightly smarter logger.  Only slightly smarter because instead of staying out of the woods, I thought I could carry equipment and help my dad cut while I healed. One afternoon it came up a quick shower, and as I came out on the trail, I fell on my back, and the impact broke that collarbone in two.  Spent the next 6 weeks wearing a figure 8 brace.  :( If you haven't had that experience, it is pretty uncomfortable.  I don't cut now unless I can keep my mind where it belongs, and try to be behind the nearest tree while the tree is falling if I can.   
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

submarinesailor

Faron,

I hate the figure 8 braces.  Had them on twice for the same collar bone.  Both times they were for bicycle wrecks.  Did I tell you I hate figure 8s.

Bruce

Cedarman

Going through the "Game of Logging" or other logger and skidder safety training courses is a great way to learn the steps that should be taken before and while cutting every tree.  Also, anytime your brain is not 100% on the job is time to say "Self, need to think only about logging, think about this other stuff later." If you can't concentrate on the job, constantly looking for problems, time to take a break or quit for the day. 

This is a good discussion of logging solo or not logging solo.

Question:  How many loggers have died because they logged solo and could have been saved if someone was nearby and how many loggers have been killed because of the actions of another logger?  Each has its own dangers, just wondered if one was more dangerous than the other.

I have heard that when you walk down a sidewalk that is broken in places, rough and uneven that you will be unlikely to trip because you are aware that the sidewalk is treacherous.  But if the sidewalk is smooth, but with one little place to catch your foot, people will trip over it because they assume the whole sidewalk is safe.
My point is that if you are logging alone, you are much more aware that you must self rescue or keep safe because no one is there to rescue you and therefore you log in a safer manner.

leweee

Quote from: Cedarman on December 29, 2006, 08:01:39 AM

This is a good discussion of logging solo or not logging solo.

My point is that if you are logging alone, you are much more aware that you must self rescue or keep safe because no one is there to rescue you and therefore you log in a safer manner.

Richard ......I try to live by those words. ;) ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Mr Mom

kevin...Glad you are O.K. What a close call.
     When i cut trees buy my-self i cut the notch and the back cut then when i hear cracking and popping i am gone in the other way and hide behind a bigger tree or just keep going.
     I should get a whistle never thought of getting one.

What other safety stuff do you guys carry with you when go to cut??

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

snowman

Logging when you are over tired is dumb, logging alone is just plain stupid.Iv'e done both and continue to do so. :-\. I was falling right of way once finishing up a road while my partner was over the hill finishing his spur. We were working till we finished hell or high water. Early in the day i got smashed.  My left leg was aiming the wrong way from the knee down, very ugly looking. I laid there for 6 hours blowing my whistle till i was blue in the face.Six hours later my partner shows up looking for me.I said, didn't you hear my whistle???????????????? He said, i thought it was a bird ::).Now i carry one of those air hornes.

beenthere

Quote from: Mr Mom on December 29, 2006, 08:57:21 AM
     When i cut trees buy my-self i cut the notch and the back cut then when i hear cracking and popping i am gone in the other way and hide behind a bigger tree or just keep going.

It is good to be gone when that happens, but it might be better to learn how to avoid the 'cracking and popping' by cutting from the hinge out (Game of Logging) to the holding wood. Then after the wedges are set to control the fall, clip off the holding wood and move away as the tree then falls where you want it. At least that is what I learned to do differently from the Level II class, and it made a believer out of me. So just passing it on for what it's worth.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Quote from: Cedarman on December 29, 2006, 08:01:39 AM
Going through the "Game of Logging" or other logger and skidder safety training courses is a great way to learn the steps that should be taken before and while cutting every tree.  

Was the issue of working alone addressed in the "Game of Logging" or other similar courses?

Paul_H

These are the practices that BC Workers comp lays out but it's one that we accept in the industry because it's our freinds and relatives we work with.

Worksafe BC-link

26.6 Working alone
The well-being of a worker working alone or in isolation in a forestry operation must be checked in accordance with the requirements of Part 4 (General Conditions).

Working Alone or In Isolation

(1) The employer must develop and implement a written procedure for checking the well-being of a worker assigned to work alone or in isolation under conditions which present a risk of disabling injury, if the worker might not be able to secure assistance in the event of injury or other misfortune.

(2) The procedure for checking a worker's well-being must include the time interval between checks and the procedure to follow in case the worker cannot be contacted, including provisions for emergency rescue.

(3) A person must be designated to establish contact with the worker at predetermined intervals and the results must be recorded by the person.

(4) In addition to checks at regular intervals, a check at the end of the work shift must be done.

(5) The procedure for checking a worker's well-being, including time intervals between the checks, must be developed in consultation with the joint committee or the worker health and safety representative, as applicable.

(6) Time intervals for checking a worker's well-being must be developed in consultation with the worker assigned to work alone or in isolation.

Note: High risk activities require shorter time intervals between checks. The preferred method for checking is visual or two-way voice contact, but where such a system is not practicable, a one-way system which allows the worker to call or signal for help and which will send a call for help if the worker does not reset the device after a predetermined interval is acceptable.

ely

great thread,

just remember when in the game of logging its really not a game at all. its also not a question of if you are going to get hurt just how bad.

Mr Mom

Beethere....I thank you for the info. Just learned about that kind of cut on one of the other post. When i start to cut again i will try it out.
     Learn new things on here every day.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

fireman05

I too log by myself most of the time.  I plan my felling and limbing for the morning hours and skidding for the afternoon.  Seems to work well and I am doing most of my hard manual labor early in the day. 

I also utilize a Farmi winch which I am extremely satisfied with and it allows me to skid in a safer manner.  I skid full tree length and it also allows me to do the bucking on the landing where it is free from debris, limbs etc.

As a firefighter/paramedic, the Bloodstopper material works well but a much cheaper and as effective means is a ladies sanitary napkin and some gauze with direct pressure applied.  Simple but effective!
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

Larry

Jeff explained the blood stopper I mentioned just fine.

I took the GOL some 5 or 6 years ago and practice the techniques taught religiously.  One thing that we were taught that has really helped me is to always pick a target to hit.  If you miss, sit down and figure out what you did wrong...yes, you did something wrong if you missed.  Make some other mistake...do the same thing.  Sit down and think about what you did wrong.  You have to realize that you can control most everything out there if your able to recognize the hazard up front.  Won't be long until the mistakes are few and far between.

The GOL is essential...but only the beginning to becoming a safer and more productive faller.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

I always pick a spot for my trees to fall.That is part of the fun of cutting trees.When I was cutting my big pine I would cut a path for them to fall.I am real fussy when I'm cutting.I cut down and haul out any marketable trees that I feel will get knocked down.I've been cutting alone for years.I always have a good clean escape route.I always take the time to clear out any brush or limbs that I may trip over if I have to make a quick exit.Than I check it as I am cutting just to make sure.As the tree is falling the chain saw is shut off.I like to hear them trees fall and gives me a chance to make sure all the limbs are done falling.I will stand there and look up and wait for whatever might fall.I have seen some things happen that I was glad I was standing out of the way.Seems like I get in more of a mess with a 6 inch tree than a 3 foot one.I guess I respect the big ones more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Be real careful of grapevines,I cut a 30" w/pine today that had a vine that traveled to three others. When the tree dropped it took the top of a dead pine with it. I knew it would pull the vines but the dead top suprised me. I did go to the opposite 45deg run way to retreat to a safe area.
Ed K

TexasTimbers

I don't know what kind of vines those are out there. They get real big though I mean 3"+. They really are like little endless branches.
I haven't had a chance to get back out there to study what happened but I am going to when the weather clears. My computer crashed (using a loaner) and had to take it in to Big D today. Fortunately my wife remembered that this was yet another opportunity to shop in the big city with all the high class city folk. ::)
Traffic. Big city traffic is just a fancy way of saying "a whole buch of mad, stupid, half-blind idiots all on the road at the same time trying to occupy the same space in the road simultaneously."
Anyway. this thread has been super educational for me. A couple people, namely my friend PaulH have suggested it is not a good idea to log alone. I agree with this. Others still, have suggested that working with others can get you killed to. I agree with this to an extent, but less so. In the end, there are times when I have to log alone and it is usually always. I hired a full time lgger but he is undependable. there have been a couple of times whem I had him loggong for me on a different piece of property 30 miles away because I don't like him particularly. He is a loudmouth, cocky and somewhat dangerous logger.  I feel safer alone but I realize the caliber of loggers here onFF don't fit that category.
Bottom line is I will continue to log solo not only out of necessity, but I have always liked working alone. When I am out in that forest it is unbelievable. I will continue to strive to become more knowlegdable and think the process through. Overall I believe I have a pretty good sense of what to do, but all it takes is one small,m seemingly insignificant mistake to do you in.
I would love to take a felling class but I doubt there is one anywhere near. This ain't logging country. I am going to google The Game of Logging. I thouight that was just a slang term y'all were using but it seems to be the name of a book?

leweee

TexasTimbers

Thanks lewee. I had no idea about this. It does however look like I would need to travel to the colder climates if I want to have a go at it.
I would hope to someday, but surely there are some logging training courses gong on down here. I better check with Texas Ranger  .. . . .

rebocardo

> I have no idea how this tree fell

Many dead trees do not fall because they no longer have leaves or many branches to catch the wind and tip them over. Since many can even look good in winter, though dead, they can be rotted at the base from being filled with water from an injury near a crotch. It does not take much ground impact to set them off a few degrees and tip them over.

If you are cutting down a 100+ foot white oak, say 36 DBH, that does not have many branches left to cushion its fall, it is like an earthquake. I call it the freight train, some people call it the fright train  :D

They say to take that 135 degree escape exit for a reason. Very rarely do I ever see a tree actually hit the ground because I am usually hiding behind a larger hardwood 40-50 feet away ;)

Glad to hear you made it out alive.

The most dangerous thing I ever did was take down a snag, where in the dusk on a larger tree I had to cut from both sides, I made a dutchman on one side and compounded it with a barberchair when it started to fall, where the chain kept it together. I was none too happy about cutting the hinge wood so it could fall to one side to release the snag.  >:(  As soon as I heard the hinge wood start cracking I started running even though watching it fall would have been sort of awesome considering the size and everything it hit on the way down.

Cedarman

About 15 years ago, a state forester and I were marking some timber on a 20 degree, bright blue sky, dead calm day.  We heard this huge crash from a dead tree about 100 yards away.  About 14" diameter dead elm just decided to fall over. No provocation what so ever.

Standing dead trees are one of the most dangerous things in the woods.  Dead limbs are right up there to.  Yesterday a 2" by 6 foot spear impaled itself and stood upright right where I stood while cutting the tree.  I was 20 feet away watching the tree fall when this happened.

Kevjay, the GOL course is taken on 4 seperate days.  I know you might have to travel, but the education gained is worth all the time and the cost.  The care and maintenance of the chain saw is worthwhile also.  Learning proper chain filing and bar maintenance will make cutting a lot easier reducing tiredness and frustration during the day.

Ron Scott

I've had several such experiences over the years while cruising or marking timber during a "fair weather day" where a large tree or limb has come down for no expected reason nearly missing me.

One was a perfectly green 20 inch diameter basswood tree that just exploded and came down within 50 feet of me for no apparent reason. I think of that one often as it gave me more respect for "all trees".

Woods work is dangerous whether working solo or with others. It's a necessity for many loggers to work alone and many prefer to do so or they wouldn't be loggers (an independent bunch). Just don't let your guard down and always be careful out there. The "Game of Logging" is highly recommended for any"logger".

Many of the solo loggers seem to follow the same pattern, fall and buck in the morning and skid or forward in the afternoon. One needs to use care also when visiting an active logging job, they are "hazard areas".

~Ron

Ken

It's an unfortunate reality here in our neck of the woods that with depressed market conditions often combined with poor cutting conditions, solo manual logging becomes a necessity as there is not enough revenue to justify another crew members paycheck.  On our manual logging operations the norm is for one man crews.  We do however ensure that there is another one man crew working alongside.  Production amounts of a one man crew seems to be consistently 60-70% of the production expected from 2 men and 1 skidder.  Therefore it seems to make good financial sense as long as high machine payments don't require more volume/shift. 

Any of us who have ever spent any time in the woods have heard or seen a tree of large branch fall somewhere around us.  Anybody who has had even a small branch fall from a few metres above and strike us knows full well that it hurts. The trick I think is to always be alert to what may fall around us.  When falling trees (especially in winter) keep your eyes trained in the tops around the tree that was just felled.  Far too often people get hurt because they took their attention away from the felled tree too soon. 

Having well maintained gear and safety equipment is a must.  Also ensuring that somebody has at least an idea of where you are and what time you should be back is necessary. 

Work safe

Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Frickman

The last few years I have had to go back to working alone. Astronomical worker's compensation rates and a general shortage of decent help has forced me to cut my operation back to me and an occasional part-timer. Do I like it? Not really. I'm not as productive as when I have two guys with me, but it is what it is.

I agree that this is a good discussion. If I'm tired, thirsty, hungry, or distracted I don't cut. I first remedy the situation. I start early in the morning, usually at sunrise, and try to do most of my felling in the morning. Afternoons are for skidding, trail building, and maintenance. I don't listen to the news on the way to the woods, and try to limit my contact with anyone, that way I don't have other things on my mind.

I don't worry about getting hurt. Yes, it can and does happen. The several times I have been hurt I was with someone, an employee, and they were at fault.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ever Green

I'll hopefully be starting a job this week.  Yes, I work alone.  I keep a cell phone on me and a nice first aid kit close also.  I take my time. When i get tired I rest or just get out of the woods.   Working alone has given me a whole new respect for the woods.  All I can say is check and double check...take your time.  Be safe
Vince

Ron Scott

The use of cell phones has added greatly to the safety factor of one working alone. Anyone logging solo should definitely have  and use one.
~Ron

bitternut

Well EverGreen I hope you like working in mud. Long range weather forecast for our area is temps quite a bit over freezing. Looks like we are going to have an open winter around here this year.

My wife always insists that I carry my cell phone when in the woods and I always do but it only works when I am near the top of the hills. If I am down low or on the backside it usually does not work.  I am in the woods alone a lot of the time and she worries so I have to check in on a regular basis.

There was a logger working the woods next to mine a couple years ago and he had a woman sitting in his pickup truck reading a book while he was cutting.  :P That guy was nobody's fool.

TexasTimbers

Ron I agree. No signal in the place I referenced though. I will however be diligent about letting wife know where I am in the future.
Bitternut, we have our share of mud down here too. I had to lay crisscrossed layers of slabs and flitches in front of the mill today in order to cut. Worked out real good.
Rain coming again wednesday.

Sprucegum

A timely thread - I just spent 2 days alone in the woods, cutting deadfalls and leaners for firewood.
Like Bitternut I have a cell that only works on the hilltop  ::) Its -20 C and snow above my knees.

I dress warm and move slow, and shut off my saw at every opportunity. I barely cut a cord of wood in 2 days and I enjoyed every minute of it. I worked from sunup to sundown, which is about 6 hours now, and slept like a log all night  ;D

a old timberjack

i have always logged solo for the last 16 years, i faithfully carry my cell phone ( the last 5 years )  and tell someone where i am working everyday, weather, it is with my international farm tractor or my old timberjack .......just a side note, this past fall, my best friends father in law , in new hampshire was logging solo, with his farm tractor and it came over backwords and ended his life instantly.......@#$% does happen , you have to be always be alert, just my 2 cents
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

TexasTimbers

SG 6 hours of sunlight I guess I have no room to complain. We generally get up at 5:30 and I prefer it to be getting light by then.
Nearly 7:00 right now and dark outside.

adirondack harvester

Most of the time I work alone in the woods, but I'm sure to always tell someone where I am and how long I should be.  I also normally have some set times to call in to let the mrs. know everything is okay.  I also sometimes ask some family to check in on me at the job site since they aren't too far away.  Works out well, but you need to be extra careful no matter what.

Texas Ranger

Kevjay, don't know why you are picking on me ;D, but, I like to be of help.  The Texas Forestry Association sponsers the Texas Logging Council. They have a training course to obtain your master logger certificate.  I have no idea if it includes felling, but you may want to give a call to Ron Hufford up at Lufkin and see.

I have logged alone (No, not a logger, just firewood) and it can be exciting.  One of the neighbors was cutting wood on his property, alone, when the tree spun and pinned his legs, breaking both, he struggled for a couple of hours before he could wiggle far enough to grab the saw, and cut the log off his legs.  Drug himself to the truck, and managed to drive to the house.

For me, it aint worth it.  I am at the age that the best insurance I have is Robert, a friend and fellow woodsman, who goes with me anytime I have a job. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 02, 2007, 10:50:06 AM
Kevjay, don't know why you are picking on me ;D,

Read the rest of your answer. That's why! Thanks.  :)

I'll see when there are some classes scheduled I need one.

Thank You Sponsors!