iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hillsboro OR help?

Started by OlJarhead, May 14, 2019, 04:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Anyone interested in helping out a broken old jarhead (not that old but not young either! lol)??

My sister dropped an English walnut in her back yard and I am heading over to try to roll the logs to the driveway where I plan to mill them up and load into my pickup.  I'm coming from Moses Lake which is about 5 hours away and realize some of those logs are going to be about 950lbs (22"x72" approx) and have to be rolled from the backyard, around the side (over the garden) and to the driveway up front where I'll have the mill.

An ATV might work or a tractor/skidsteer but I have neither here (have both but can't haul them and the mill at the same time and have a place to put the lumber on the way home.

I started by looking for a second CANT hook to bring along for a young buck who's going to help but have not had a lot of luck.  Like a fool I left my last one about 70 miles away and have yet to go back and get it!  Now I could use it.

Anyway, was just thinking someone here might be interested (if they are as crazy as me that is) in helping this jarhead get those logs around front. 

My sister on the left reading "The Living Tree" to her Pre-school kids.  She runs a Montessori Pre-School in Hillsboro.

Lots of sapwood but I don't care ;)  I just want to see what I can do with some walnut.

If you are interested (I hear it's raining but I'm sure we could do a BBQ for lunch or something and make a day of it) let me know!

Thanks

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Chuck White

Seems like a Fetching Arch would be just the ticket!

Also, it wouldn't tear up as much turf as a skid-steer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

Today we used a floor jack to lift our logs and shoved 4" pipe under them. The logs rolled on the pipe as I pulled them with my truck to reposition them.

A log arch would have been better......
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

OlJarhead

I like the idea of the rollers and have used it for different things....will have to get some PVC and bring a few lengths along!  Thanks for that.

At least rolling will be easier with or without much help.

caveman

I would be looking for a neighbor with an atv and a tow strap or chain to use with the pvc rollers.  
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

A snatch block or two and long cable or stout rope might let you hook to a convenient tree, stump, or bumper hitch and could be real helpful. Lacking those remember to pivot trick of rolling the log on to a small log, 2X4, post, pipe, etc. at the center of balance then a single person can swivel the log to redirect it to the new direction. You may have to do this several times to get the logs around trees, lawn ornaments, etc. As long as there is air under the log on both ends you can pivot it. Some logs with a lot of sweep you can just roll so the hump is down then cut it in the direction you want it to go. Good luck. You are on the wrong coast for me to be able to help right now. Be safe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Stuart Caruk

I'm across the river 11 miles into Washington. You can borrow a cant hook or 2 if you promise to bring them back... I've got lots of equipment, but it's far to expensive to move to Hillsboro for a log or 2. Heck, most of my logs come to me.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

OlJarhead

Thanks all!  Good ideas and I'll make the work (I used to just brute force things but that is getting harder these days).

Have at least one good helper coming and extra cant hooks and bars, so I think with the 2x's and PVC we should be able to get those big suckers to the mill.

I plan to live saw it all to take up less time since we'll hit the road after milling and loading and cleaning up and will have a LONG drive afterwards but my wife can drive too so we should be good :D

Thank You Sponsors!