iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nova Jack system ????

Started by whitepine, August 03, 2005, 11:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepine

Hi I have been looking at the Nova jack system using a capstan winch and atv trailer. If anyone has any  practicle experience using  their system I sure would like to hear about  what you think of it good and bad. Thanks Tom

brucehuggins

Oldsawmillguy

RSteiner

I have seen a few different models for ATV use, I don't remember if one of them was a Nova Jack specificaly, that were impressive.  I have looked at the Nova Jack literature and was impressed with the design. 

My only problem is personal I don't like parting with the money for something I think I can put together myself.  I ended up building a logging arch and a small trailer using the boggie wheel style, I have yet to add the winch and dump feature but that is coming.

Of all the ATV logging trailers I did like the Nova Jack best.  It seemed to be well made.

Randy
Randy

IndyIan

My thoughts on the atv trailer is that how much weight can an ATV really tow in the woods?  Those trailers must weigh at least 500lbs plus the logs.  Considering you and the ATV might weigh in a 900lbs you don't have a lot of capacity left over.  I think the arches make alot more sense for an atv.  I use my atv and a trailer for firewood and pulling about 1000lbs of wood and trailer is all I really want to do on an ATV trail.
If you've got nice logging roads then maybe the trailer would work well as long as your hills aren't too steep.   
If your serious about getting one I would demo it to see if it works in your situation.  Something like Bruce has in his picture appeals to me in conjunction with the capstan winch.
Ian

Shamus

I have used a buddy's Nova Jack trailer a few times, and was really impressed with the construction and design. I only used it to pick up short logs along the roadside, so never took it off road. It works well on small to medium size logs. The whole winch setup is okay, but pretty much slow and finicky. He uses the trailer mostly now for carrying gravel, lumber, firewood, etc (with the dump box option). Very strong and well built for what it is.
     You're not going to make a living hauling wood this way, but its pretty darn decent for personal usage.

D&L Doublecut Synchro sawmill, Procut chainsaw mill, John Deere crawler loader,  F350 4x4 flatdeck, 20 ton logsplitter, running Stihls

Woodhog

I have never used their system but have a similar design trailer towed with a 4WD 78 HP
farm tractor.

They show a few pictures with quite a load of what looks like 8 foot wood on the trailer..

I also note that the terrain (bottom) looks very flat and no obstacles, this would be the
major consideration if you want to load like they show in their pictures.

I would not expect to get very far without breaking something or getting hung up or stuck in the mud etc. if you tried to haul from the stump in all but a plantation type of environment.

If you load light it would probably work OK...

It depends on what you want it for, if you are doing it at all commercial I would
get a heavier trailer and a 4WD tractor...

This stuff takes a tremendous beating in real world conditions and this outfit doesnot look
very strongly built...the hitch is just a regular car type hitch  etc....

Thank You Sponsors!