iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak log prices in the SE

Started by scsmith42, December 01, 2011, 08:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Up until now I have been acquiring my white oak logs from tree service companies; however I am exploring starting to purchase logs from concentration yards and would like to find out more about prices.

Reading the timber reports, current hardwood sawtimber stumpage prices for landowners is around $20.00 per ton.  I'm presuming that the concentration yard is purchasing the logs for around $45.00 per ton, or thereabouts.

I need to purchase larger diameter logs for quartersawing, preferably greater than 24" on the small end.

One yard has quoted me $100.00 per ton to sell me white oak logs that are 20" small end diameter and larger, clear 3 faces or better, based upon a 30 ton per month volume, or thereabouts, picked up at the yard. 

This works out to be around .60 per bd ft, which almost seems a bit on the high side.

Can anyone share any thoughts regarding the price range of larger diameter WO logs at a concentration yard, as well as what the loggers are selling them for?

Thanks much.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Scott,

I don't have a lot of data, but around here, $45/ton delivered is a good grade hardwood log price.  That would put the stumpage at the $20 - $25/ton range.  That is for logs with a 10" - 12" top minimum. 

However, logs that were 24" on the small end would bring a premium, but I would not think as much as $100/ton.  You challenge will be to find enough white oak of that size and grade to make up a load from the woods.  That will make it necessary to buy from a woodyard or sawmill log inventory where they have sorted the logs for size and species.  That definitely reduces your leverage as they likely have a captive market.  The only way that you might be able to get them interested enough to deal with you is with price.

Another option is to get to know the loggers and timber buyers in your area and offer to go to the woods and mark the high value trees that you want on timber tracts that they have bought.  Then, you can come to the landing and pick them up as they are harvested.  That reduces the need to have the loggers deliver an entire load at a time to you.  Again, however, you will have to pay them more than the "market" price to get them interested in going through the extra effort.

Maybe Jake will chime in as he sees a lot of big oak logs on the logyard where he saws the oversize logs and the long length specialty orders for a large hardwood sawmill.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

And remember...loggers like beer.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

mrbuck50

Or better yet.......come to Georgia and cut my 6 acres. I have been talking with local guys and none want to mess with a lot this small. The guy that looked at it told me it is full of white and red oak "great" logs. I can tell you most are good and tall .....40' give or take.

Just a thought....... 8)

scsmith42

Danny / Zopi - thanks for the advice!

MrBuck, thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid that the transportation costs might be a wee bit prohibitive...  Unless your 6 acre lot is full of 50" diameter oak trees....

stavebuyer

I sell Quartersawn White Oak logs 3 sides clear 18"+ for $1100mbf doyle on my yard.

scsmith42

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 03, 2011, 06:48:00 AM
I sell Quartersawn White Oak logs 3 sides clear 18"+ for $1100mbf doyle on my yard.

Wish that we were closer...

KyMasterLogger

wheres your yard?

Banjo picker

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 03, 2011, 10:04:34 AM

Would you not be better off paying the $100 bucks a ton...? ???  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

stavebuyer

Quote from: KyMasterLogger on December 04, 2011, 09:34:32 PM

wheres your yard?

Yards at Pine Knot & Monticello

stavebuyer

Quote from: Banjo picker on December 04, 2011, 10:17:28 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on December 03, 2011, 10:04:34 AM

Would you not be better off paying the $100 bucks a ton...? ???  Banjo

He would be much better off at $100 a ton. The trucks hauling the logs weigh on our scales and have no problem averaging 3,500' plus for 25 tons. Thats $140 a ton. Larger logs get cheaper per bdt/ft by weight scale as the diameter and scale increase.

KyMasterLogger

Quote from: stavebuyer on December 05, 2011, 04:13:46 AM
Quote from: KyMasterLogger on December 04, 2011, 09:34:32 PM

wheres your yard?

Yards at Pine Knot & Monticello

thought you may have been in western ky somewhere.

customsawyer

The big mills get in more of these big logs than a person would think. You have to make it to where it benefits them or why should they bother. What kind of lengths are you looking to buy?
If I was to pursue this I would think that 600/m would be a fair rate since these are the logs that the mill use to keep the quality of there lumber up, as we all know they will get better grade out of these logs than they will the smaller ones. Especially if you are wanting clear on 3 sides.
You can get the logs from a logger cheaper than you will from the mill.  The trouble in this area is that a fair amount of the wood is bought by the mill and the loggers just work for them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Good advice all, thx.

I'm milling lengths of 8'3", 10'6", and 12'6".  If I get a 16 footer, I cut it in half.

Timbertiger00

We just had a sale and the white oak that size went for 1.50 per foot up to 4 dollars
1 timothy 6:11

scsmith42

The yard called yesterday, they have 6 - 8 more 20+, 3 sides or better clear logs for me to pick up.  This may turn out to be a good deal.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Scott

WDH

Yes, this looks like it will turn out very nice.  A few pics would whet our curiousity  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!