iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 stroke oil

Started by Cam460, March 07, 2019, 10:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam460

Just want to hear some opinions on what your favorite 2 stroke oil is. I have always run stihl ultra hp, but have recently switched to motul 800 2t and am a big fan! 
8)

Allar

Husqvarna XP fully synthetic oil.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Al_Smith

TSC     El Cheapo but I do buy Stihl  Ultra every so often 

lxskllr

I was using Stihl HP Ultra, but the last batch I got was PoulanPro full synthetic cause I liked the bottle. I'm not too particular on brand, but I try to stay with full synthetic lubricants in everything. I wouldn't turn down a quality dino oil if it were given to me though.

tacks Y

My new 462 came with a tank of dino mix in it. Dealer claims the first tank will help break in? I buy the best other wise of the top brands.

rubberfish

Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

gspren

For my saws and such I've used Stihl and Echo, full synthetic, depending on where I am when I remember that I need some. For my 25HP Merc outboard I use Quicksilver synthetic. I'm going to trade in the Merc for a new Yamaha 4 stroke so any extra Quicksilver will make it's way through my older JD tractor.

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Southside

Oh no - the oil wars return..... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Fishnuts2

I don't usually get in oil threads, but I will say that I have run Amsoil Saber in every air cooled 2 cycle I've had in the last 40 years.  I started out running 100-1 in Yamaha SRX's in '77 and a SST 340 Snowjet the same.  Nowadays, my cabin saw and trimmer get 50-1 mix and all the stuff around home here gets 32-1 because my old mowers and dirt augers have bronze bushings and need lots of oil.
No reason to change for me!

Al_Smith

Quote from: tacks Y on March 08, 2019, 07:44:17 AM
My new 462 came with a tank of dino mix in it. Dealer claims the first tank will help break in? I buy the best other wise of the top brands.
As a matter of fact when I bought my Toro zero turn ,brand new which is something I seldom do .The dealer said to do the first oil change at 20 hours and use petroleum oil for another 20 .Then if I wanted switch to synthetic if I wanted changing every 50 hours .
 I also at about the same time I bought the mower bought a new Stihl weed wacker .Nearly gave the owners wife a heart attack,me spending money .It came with a tank of mix gas at 50 to  1 with ultra and a pack of little bottles thrown in .Using same it was supposed to extend the warrantee .Which I did but not at 50 to 1.I don't know if one is really better than the other or not. It does however spark lively conversation at times . 8)

Rebarb

Burnt motor oil....maybe a cup to a gallon. 

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rebarb

Cam460

Wow this thread exploded :D thanks for the info. 

Al_Smith

Well from past practice it really hasn't exploded yet but give it some time .Before too long the 100 to 1 crowd will show up followed by the race gas crowd then it will explode . :D It might even morph into a bar oil thread after a while .That could prove to be enlightening .

Southside

Al - there is always the option of mixing in #6 too.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Cam460

Why not bring up some bar oil ;) I haven't been too happy with stihl bar oil lately there is no reason for 3 different kinds. I think husky is doing it right!

lxskllr

I use canola in the winter, and whatever's cheap in warmer weather(TSC currently).

Gearbox

Amsoil Saber at 50 to 1 . Best part is the mosquitos leave as soon as I crank up the saw . That alone is worth $ 10.00 a quart .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

You could fog for mosquitoes cheaper than 10 bucks a quart .SAE 30WT at 16 to 1 could do the same thing .I had a ragged out '68 El Camino that was a good fogger .Worn out 327 that got 18 miles per gallon of gasoline and 50 miles on a quart of oil .Back then the oil was 69 cents a quart so it wasn't  so bad . 

sawguy21

I had a couple like that :D Fill the oil and check the gas. After years in the repair shop I want the best oil I can get and go with the manufacturers recommendations. I use Stihl Ulta 'cuz that is what the local dealer carries.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

Air Lad

Al_Smith

On a serious note which I don't normally do there are some benefits of synthetic oil .I use it on all of my newer stuff and change it frequently .
By the same token I've torn down 50 year old saws that you know darn well were ran on outboard boat motor oil probably at 16 or 20 to 1 ratio and they were clean as a pin .Then 20 year old Stihls ran on modern mix oils that had black on the crank case which is in effect pyralighted oil  which in effect is petro coke .Why I have no idea .
    Crankcase oil is better than it used to be .In the 60's when I was a teenager it wasn't uncommon on those small block Chevys and Y block Fords to need a rebuild after 60-70 thousand miles .Now of days it's not uncommon to get 200  thousand miles .Yet on tractor engines ran on non detergent oils and would run almost forever those engines were clean as a pin and many didn't even have oil filters .Of course those were slow running engines with larger cooling systems than automobiles .

ButchC

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 08, 2019, 07:16:00 PM. :D It might even morph into a bar oil thread after a while .That could prove to be enlightening .
I use the same oil in both, less confusing  :D

What amazes me about oil threads,  engine or bar is how many times cost comes up. Truth of the matter is most home/farm/hobby saws dont get used enough for it to matter. $50 a year for the best oils or $25 for baragin basement.  Where  my son in law works they buy 2 stroke oil in 55 gallon drums, the price per unit would make a common man faint but the cost to fill one of those little 3.2 oz bottles I buy would be pretty low,, anyone want to share a drum???? ;D
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!