iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value added an a case of sticker shock !

Started by Brian_Bailey, September 29, 2003, 09:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

About a week ago a fella stopped in to get some white oak lumber for a mirror frame. He was gonna take it to an amish cabinet maker. When he noticed that I wasn't just a sawyer, but also a cabinetmaker too, he asked if I'd be interested in making the frame for him. I said sure, give me the specs. and I'll see what I can do.

The below pics is what I came up with. The mirror glass is 24"x36". The frame is bare wood as he wanted to stain it himself to match his other furniture.

This is the back of the frame showing the walnut butterflies and maple tabs to hold the mirror in. If you look at the left hand bottom butterfly, you'll see a white border around it.

The white border is where I signed and dated the piece.

Now for the sticker shock. I didn't have a clue what to charge for this piece. So, I called a national craft store chain near me that has a frame shop and got some prices on simular frames. The prices quoted to me ran from $135 to almost $300  :o  :o.

The morel of this story is I took approx. 7bf of lumber and made a nice profit and had some fun too. What was really special for me was when I turned the frame over to show my customer the back of it. The look on his face was priceless when he saw the detail I had done to it.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

ElectricAl

Very nice job Brian. ;)

Kinda sad to let it go :'(

But you'll get some "Word of mouth" advertising ;D

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

chet

Very nice work. Are the butterflies functional as a lock for the miters or are they purely decorative.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Dugsaws

I dont blame him for the suprised look Brian, I know there would have been one on my face too.
    All I can say is Beatiful
Doug

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, very nice. That is what we are trying to do with odd pieces. Just gotta get a customer base started.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

RavioliKid

Lovely work, Brian!  8)

Those walnut butterflies are just gorgeous! I'd have a hard time putting them toward the wall. I'd want to look at them all the time!

Of course, the back of the mirror isn't all that functional!  :D
RavioliKid

Tom

Oh!  That must be what I'm doing wrong, Rav.

Frank_Pender

Excellent craftsmanship Brian.  that is truly value added!

Mot, is that, locating the butterfies where you cn see them or turning the rorrim sdrawkckab? 8)
Frank Pender

Larry

Nice work Brian! 8)

It's always interesting when the sawmill opens a door on a new adventure.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

shopteacher

Well, someone must have been paying attention during shop class. A+ excellent work.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Brian_Bailey

Thanks everyone for the kind comments !

The back of the frame is interesting but the real beauty is in the grain of the wood in the front. I wanted to pop the grain with a finish for the camera but was afraid my customer would object.

My head is a little foggy and my hearing is dulled today because my wife an I went to see Shania Twain's concert in Buffalo, NY last nite.  What a show she put on!  She and her band are phenomenal.

Chet,  

The butterflies are meant to be functional rather than decorative.  I had two strength concerns about this frame. One was the length of the miter and its vunerablities to open up because the mirror was going to be in a bathroom ( wide swings of humidity ). Two, the customer provided the mirror and it was heavy!  1/4" x 24" x 36".  So I reinforced the miters with a hidden spline and the butterflies on the back to hopefully counter any shifting of the miter due to the weight of the mirror. I didn't want to do anything to the front and ruin the visual statement the grain of the wood was making to the viewer's eye.

Fla D,  

Your picture of the floral arrangement in the log section is beautiful!  I don't see you having any problems selling them.  My mother lives in Avon Park Fl. and is always talking about some place they go to near them that has booths with artisians / craftsmen and their products on display for sale ( I think I'm trying to say craftshow :D). She is always telling me to bring my stuff down there to sell. Something to consider if u have not already.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

ohsoloco

Brian, if you ever want to do it again, mineral spirits will "pop" the grain and darken the wood as if a finish were applied, but still dry to bare wood (I use mineral spirits to tack my pieces before applying finish)...this also shows any glue spots or imperfections that may need sanded out  ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, I have been to Avon Park several times. Step mother used to sell "Collectible" glass. Fenton, and such. We have a limited wood supply, until my leg gets a lil stronger and I was just fishin for input on here with that piece.  
   Wish I had YOUR talent. That is a quality Frame ya made. We are tryin to figure a way to make "Pecky" frames. Maybe I otter send ya some sticks and see what ya come up with ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Gus

Brian,
That is an awful nice piece. Beautiful workmanship.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Brian_Bailey

ohsoloco,    
Thank you!  Using mineral spirits is a great tip, esp. for finding those DanG'd glue spots!

Fla. D,  
That pecky cypress should make some very unique frames.  I'd be glad to try some if you have any extra kicking around some time.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Sven Christiansen

Brian,

Let me also join in the chorus and say that's a very beautiful piece of work.  I'd be proud to have that in my home.

Certainly worthy of a Personal Best Contest submission http://www.woodmizer.com/personbest/persbest.html.

Again, I'm impressed (and more than a little envious)...

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

Minnesota_boy

When I'm custom sawing and see some real pretty wood and decide to show it to the customer, I'll "spill" a little coffe on it to show how it would look when varnished or oiled.  It gets pretty close to the color and will wipe off really easy so it doesn't permanently stain the wood.  It really gets some eye pops or jaw drops sometimes when they see what is going into their pile.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Brian_Bailey

Minnesota _ boy,  

One of the joys I get in sawing my own lumber is to be the first one to see the beauty of the wood when freshly cut.  Oftentimes I stop an look in awe at what has just been revealed to me and begin planning my next woodworking project.  Then reality sets in and reminds me that the rest of the log needs to be sawn :D.

Sven and other forum members,  

Again thanks for the kind words,  it is very much appreciated.  
My intent for this post was to show how value added has worked for me in my business. But, more importantly,  I wanted to show something that Tom refers to in his posts from time to time. It's about leaving a little something extra for the customer. By doing a little extra detailing on the back of the frame,  I made a customer very happy.  I'm confident that my time was well spent.

Thank You Sponsors!