iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic problems need HELP

Started by chet, September 30, 2003, 05:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

My hydraulic wood splitter has a two stage pump. Today while using it I lost the first stage. It will now only run in the second slower stage.   :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

I have no idea what your problem is but let me entertain you while we wait.  :D

Is there a suction strainer on the pump inlet?

chet

No strainer, and not restricted at the filter.
 OH........ and yup lots of hydro oil.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

valve spool O ring would be my bet. Or a cracked spool
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Not real sure, but, I investigated them 2 stage pumps, Waaaayyyyy back. They are pressure regulated internally. Never got the plumbing chart, to show how they are switched from high to low. May be quicker to buy a new pump. Got a make and model number??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

chet

No bad o-ring cause no leaking, and I don't think the spool is cracked for the same reason and also I hear no internal hissing.
I'm thinking that the internal valve that does the switching must be hung up.
I have no idea what the model number is, or who made it. I'm going to go split the last of the load now, then tomorrow I'll tear into it.

Kevin

Fla._Deadheader

That's pretty neat, Kevin. Good site. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

chet

Hey Kev, can you find anything on the internal pressure-sensing valve on a two stage pump.   :)

D._Frederick

Chet,
The two stage pump has two pumps, larger displacement and smaller displacement pump, they both work a lower pressure, but as the pressure increases the output from the larger pump is put back to the input. This allow all the engine power to go to the smaller pump. On my pump, there is a plug that can be unscrewed, under this is the adjustment that directs the flow between pumps. If your engine is not working hard all the time showing that the problem to be in the control valve spool, take this apart and see if this valve in the pump is being held open.

chet

That's exactly what I was thinking. And your right the engine isn't laboring at all. Is this usually an adjustable valve in these little pumps or is it usually just a spring and check ball.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Haytrader

Only thing I would add.
Is there a filter at all?
Doesn't take but a tiny peice of foreign matter to damage that O ring or cause a small valve to malfunction.
Haytrader

Mark M

Chet, there should be a valve in the pump that is most likely spring loaded. I'll bet there is a problem with that spring. Could also be a little check valve inside a larger valve. Sometimes a little piece of [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] will plug up the orifice. I am almost 100% certain your problem is in the pump.

Mark

chet

I am going to open it up today. I just wasn't sure if the valving was serviceable item or an integral part of these little pumps.

chet

Well heres da problem. These two little valve parts, are supposed to be one valve part.

I have no idea who made the pump. And there are no markings on it what so ever.

Tom

That looks like something a good machine shop could make.

Mark M

Chet can you post some pictures of the pump? Is a homemade splitter or commercial unit?

Mark

chet

Hi Mark
The splitter is a speeco (LS40006000). I havn't had a chance to call them as during the last couple of days, I have no phone available. I have a feeling that they will want to sell me a pump, not the part to fix it.   :(

Kevin

Mark M

I don't recognize the brand Chet but Speeco does have a website: http://www.speeco.com/asp/display.asp?view=top&category=Log+Splitters

The splitters shown there look like the ones they sell at Tractor Supply (TSC) stores.

I know some good machinists if you can't find a valve.

Mark

chet

The pump manufacturer turns out to be MTE. The model # is 21004. I was told by my local hydraulic shop, that MTE does not sell replacement parts for their small pumps.  ??? That just doesn't make sense.  :-/

CHARLIE

Sure it makes since Chet. They make more money selling new pumps than selling parts to fix them. It's called Yankee ingenuity.  Now if that company had been run by true grits eatin'  Southerns, they would not only sell the replacement part but would probably show up with the part and a six pack and help you put it in. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

chet

Their main plant is in Rockford IL. I guess dat ain't fur enough south.   :-/

Mark M

HI Chet

Did you go to their web page? They have a link for support.

http://www.mtehydraulics.com/prod04.htm

Good Luck
Mark

Thank You Sponsors!