iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable winch

Started by DoubleD, February 13, 2006, 02:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleD

I'm interested in buy a self propelled portable winch that have this feature: 330 feet of 9/32 inches steel cable, 6.5 hp Honda gas engine, speed 1 foot per second. Any thought please?
Wannabe a sawmiller

Kevin

DoubleD

Well I have a small woodlot that had some tree damaged due to heavy snow. The tree are larch, now they are topped and they are good only for firewood now. The woodlot is situated in a very steep terrain maybe 30-40% I don't know for sure. The portable winch seems to me a good thing because my tractor hasn't a power take off nor electric source. I don't want to use it for heavy logging operation but only for a private use
Wannabe a sawmiller

Kevin

DoubleD

I am in Italy....so I am looking at this onemini winch leonardo (look at mini winch Leonardo I don't know how to post a pdf file on the FF)
What do you think about this type of winch?
Wannabe a sawmiller

beenthere

Something similar that is powered by a chainsaw from  Madsen's and is a Simpson capstan winch (nearly identical to the portable winch).  This one I am sure I will get and add it to my Stihl 041.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

proclimber

Someone else may have a different opinion but a rope winch is better for a small woods operation unless the cable is on a skidder in my opinion.

Quebecnewf

Double D

I really like the look of the small gas winch on the page you had a link posted to. Maybe change the cable for good braided rope. Do you know if they sell in North America

Quebecnewf

DoubleD

Quebecnewf I am sorry but on internet there aren't informations  about importation in North America.
I don't understand if you are concerned for safety of the steel cable. I will use this winch during summer and with a corner block
Wannabe a sawmiller

Kevin

That winch is heavier, it has a limit as to how much cable it will hold and cable gets pinched , distorted and requires replacement not to mention it has a habbit of getting bird nested or locked on the drum.

A rope on the other hand can be as long as you need and can be dumped in a plastic pail.
The tensile strength of synthetic rope today is very high.

beenthere

Kevin
Would you have a recommendation or suggestion for a capstan winch rope (size and material). I'll look at Bailey's first then check out Proclimber if they ship to the US.
I agree with the advantages of rope and the 'mess' that seems to come with cable winches. The cable ones always look so neat and tidy when they are brand new, then knarl up when used just a few times. Maybe there are some good tricks members know about to keep them from 'nesting'. And maybe it's partly due to the cable that is used.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

Undo the cable completely from the winch drum when new, then pull it back on under slight tension from a rolling load. A roller fairlane helps as does a tension plate.

DoubleD

What are roller fairlane and tension plate? ??? ??? ??? smiley_headscratch
Wannabe a sawmiller

Murf

Il mio amico,  lascilo aiutare un piccolo ......

roller fairlead = passacavo del rullo, per guidare il cavo

tension plate = dispositivo di tensionamento, per giudicare il cavo stretto quando rotolano

;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

DoubleD

Thank you Murf  ;D ;D ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

Kevin

Been;
The maasdam hand winch works good with 1/2" tree master rope.
You can add a mechanical advantage to the load if needed.
I think Baileys has that one.

The gas winch in the other message can be bought in the U.S, check with Kevin at LogRite, he was selling them at a show in Wisconsin a couple of years ago.

For a tree winch the GRCS is expensive but can't be beat.

Part_Timer

Those capstan winches are the same thing as a tugger for electrical use.  Go to the greenlee site and find the tugger rope.  It is made for pulling and abrasion.  Pulling large wire loads through metal conduit.  Just a thought.

I use rope on my hand crank winch for what it is worth.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

rebocardo

> What are roller fairlane and tension plate?

Looks like a box with a metal roller on each edge set in front of the winch. It allows better winching at angles. So the cable does not drag across a solid surface and get flattened or destroyed by going over an edge. So, when pressure is applied the roller allows it to glide back into the winch.

A flat piece of spring metal over the winch drum that presses the cable back on the drum in a uniform manner.  Most important when winching the cable back in without a load.

Dan_Shade

are tension plates available for different types of winches?

I have a milemarker, and would love to have one of those things, getting cable to spool up right can be a real pain, even with a roller fairlead
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DoubleD

Wannabe a sawmiller

rebocardo

You are welcome DD.

> are tension plates available for different types of winches?

Depends on OEM, some do, some don't.

Dan_Shade

so most are only available from the winch manufacturer?

hmmm

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Minnesota_boy

I made a tensioner plate for an old winch that had had a brake to keep the cable taut.  It worked well as it kept the cable neat and pulled out easier than with the brake and didn't slip when in snow as the brake often did.  I curved a piece of mild steel plate, about 1/8 inch thick for the tensioner.   It lasted about a year before the wear of the cable on it wore through.  I'm back to using the brake now.  Those tensioner plates need a hardened surface for the cable to slide on.  >:(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sandman2234

Since you have a tractor, how about making one of these to fit the PTO shaft?

Sorry guys, got my hand slapped for posting those pictures. I will try to repost them when I get time to figure out the posting rules.
   For those who didn't see it, it is simply a cathead with a coupler to fit my pto output shaft. It was made out of a piece of 6" diameter 12L14 and the minor diameter is 2.125. I used it to pound down some pipe at my last house for a well. The surface rust is a product of not being used for the last 15 years, but I try not to throw anything away. Never know when it will come in handy.

Pictures aren't real clear, but I was in a hurry.

David from jax

Kevin

David, is it difficult to control the speed using the PTO and is it a one man operation?
Does the rope stop pulling when you remove tension from the running end?

Thank You Sponsors!