iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fat Deer

Started by Qweaver, December 23, 2014, 04:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

When I was a kid killing a deer was a big deal.  There was just so few that only bucks could be killed and only one per hunter per season.  Now I can kill nine and that is fairly easy to do if I really wanted to.  We worked up two deer today and these were the fattest deer that I have every seen.  The fat was over an inch thick.  What are the guys eating?  I don't feed corn.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

wetdog

Was there a big acorn crop up there this year? That's what will put the fat on'em down here.

beenthere

Over my 50 yrs of deer hunting, have found it pretty normal for the deer to be heading into winter with a good layer of fat. Some bucks run it off while in rut, but younger bucks and doe's have good layers of fat.

That fat I always peeled off when butchering up the venison for the freezer, as it can carry a strong gamey flavor to the meat when cooking. Same with removing the bones.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Qweaver

Yep.  Huge acorn crop this year.  Hadn't thought of that.  I just got back from a back-strap meal that Sarah cooked and that was the best deer that I have ever eaten!  Tender and delicious.  Can't wait to get a hind quarter on the BBQ.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

reswire

Our deer population seems to be down somewhat, most locals are blaming the ballooning coyote population.  A good friend of mine found 5 dog collars near a coyote den this summer.  They eat pets as well as deer, and seem to have gotten more populated near Fredericksburg of all things.  I guess leaving dog food out works well for coyote too!  I've seen two this year while deer hunting, but those rascals are slick.  They don't expose themselves for long, in and out of a field or clearing rapidly.  I'm trying to talk the hunt clubs into a coyote "competition" of some kind.  Our county is offering a $50.00 reward for each killed, too bad they have taken such a strong hold on this area.  I've been told if you can see one, then you've got 20 more nearby. 

At night they howl like crazy, and you can hear their calls hit a fever pitch when the pack makes a kill.  I know I carry a pistol when walking on my farm, all of friends and neighbors do as well.  Darn shame.   ::)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

QuoteOur county is offering a $50.00 reward for each killed,

Which county and state is that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Go out on Netflix and watch the PBS special on the Coywolf.  A cross between the Coyote and the Black (iirc) Wolf.  Very interesting.  They are even in Central Park, NYC!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Qweaver,

I've butchered 3 here this year and all were very fat. Last one felt like had been coated in cooking oil. We had a bumper crop of chestnut oak acorns which are as big as the end of your thumb. The deer hardly had to travel but just bedded and ate. I have hopes for big fawn crop this year as they look to be going into the winter in prime shape. We've had some unusually warm spells. It was 55 degrees here today. A little snow but only on the ground for a day or so. Heavy snow in rifle season seems to really up the kill rate because you can see them so much further.

Turkeys also seem to be doing well.

I have a young rat terrier I am going to try to train to be a squirrel dog in January when all deer hunting is over. He seems to have good potential.

Have a real good holiday.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Qweaver,

Shot a nice young Christmas doe this afternoon with my bow. Quartering away shot and was able to watch her till she fell. She was also like had been coated in cooking oil when I skinned her. I have a nice skinning rack set up and usually can skin them within minutes of shooting them so they are still warm. Sure makes it easier to skin but I never remember them being so slick with fat before. There were 5-6 more with several yearlings (okay - 6 month old fawns) with them so looks like we will have plenty of seed stock for next year. Happy holidays.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!