iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for mobile sawyer in Minneapolis & St Paul MN area

Started by monochrome, December 23, 2016, 03:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monochrome

Hi all,
I'm a woodworker by trade and just learning about milling my own wood.  I'm looking for a sawyer who could go to a house in St. Paul and slab a large white oak and several ash tree trunks after the tree service takes them down and then dry them for me. Is anyone able to either recommend someone or point me in the right direction to find someone?

I only know of a few sawyers in the area and my main guy has his Woodmizer permanently parked.
Thanks in advance,
Andy

Kbeitz

Might be tough of to find someone it they are yard trees.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

I am no help with your question.

I can say Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Good luck. I'd check the Woodmizer site and look at their Pro-Sawyer network and contact any close to you. Even if they don't do the kind of work you do they may know others who can help. I often refer people to others who are closer or have special equipment I don't have.

Another source might be the sawmill exchange. They have a services section as I remember and may be able to help.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nomad

Welcome!  Look at the top of the page, under "Extras" in the "Finda-Data-base."
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Joe Hillmann

Logboy is a member here.  He has a large slabbing mill and I think he is from Hudson.  He may be able to help you out. 

I assume this is his website, http://www.logboy.com/?page_id=7  I would guess it has a way to contact him.

monochrome

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 23, 2016, 06:43:38 PM

Is that because of the higher possibility of foreign material like nails in the tree?

Kbeitz

Quote from: monochrome on December 28, 2016, 12:42:10 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on December 23, 2016, 06:43:38 PM

Is that because of the higher possibility of foreign material like nails in the tree?

Yes... In my area sawmills will not buy yard trees for that reason.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

logboy

Sorry, I no longer saw other people's logs.  And I don't know anyone who you could get to do both the cutting and drying. I don't dry other peoples wood either.

No commercial mill is going to touch your logs.  95% of the yard trees I saw have metal in them.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!