iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locksmith help needed – broke key in Terex ignition switch.

Started by Bibbyman, February 20, 2010, 02:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: Paul_H on February 23, 2010, 09:08:12 PM
Do it,then your Dentist has something else to add to his "Old Farts" thread he started on the dental forum he frequents  :D

Now that's funny.  I don't care who you are.. :D

Our "other" Terex is a year newer and the next bigger model but is very similar to the 55-19 – especially the cab.  But the key/switch is different.  It has a single edge cut key and works very conventional - no push in and turn stuff - no rubber handle with cup that covers the lock, etc.  I suspect it was changed out by the company we bought it from.

We're making a run to town this morning to get "stuff".  I may drop by Westlakes and get a set of dental picks.  (My dentist's office is right next door.  I may drop in on him just for S&Gs.)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Bibbyman

Quote from: Warbird on February 24, 2010, 11:08:55 AM
Let us know what he says.  ;D

Well,  I forgot to take the switch to town.  I even fogot my cell phone and billfold.  Gettin' old you know.
Sawing since '94

Chris Burchfield

My last crown was $1200.  I'd just have to suck it up and get a new switch.  Sorry Bibby.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Bibbyman

All's well that ends well. 

Got the new switch yesterday afternoon. A little later I went out and just plugged it into the wiring harness.   The accessory and run positions looked like they worked, the dash lights would come on and I could turn on the lights, etc.  But when turned to the start position, nothing.  My heart sank.   :'(

I went to the house and got the old switch and compared it to the new one.  Same.  Same part number on the side.  I put the old switch back in as it did still work before.  It didn't kick the starter in either.  Well, that was encouraging.  At lest it was likely something besides the new switch.  I fumbled with all the parking break, shift lever, etc. as they are all interlocked so it won't start unless the parking brake is set and the shift is in neutral.  Still nothing.

My next thought was that maybe I'd left something on and the battery had run down to where the starter solenoid would not kick in.  I put the charger on the battery and set it to 50 amps.  Still nothing.  So I dropped it back to 10 amps and went and eat supper.  After supper I went out and bumped the charger back up to 50 amps and still nothing.  It was getting dark.  Unplugged the charger and went back in to the house to "sleep on it". 

Later in the evening a new light came on.  Ah-ha!  The Terex had tricked us a number of times by getting the emergency kill switch pushed without our knowing it.  It ain't going to do nothing with this switch pushed in. 

This morning I went out and low and behold,  that was it.  It took me about 45 minutes to put the switch in and button up all the panels. 

We're a two Terex family again!  8)

And it sure is nice to have that glass cab when it's cold and windy.  :)
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

Ahhh!! That nice soothing relaxed feeling after stressing on that switch, solving the problem, and having everything good to go for the next day.  I can just see Bibbyman jumping in the air and clicking his heels together and Mary standing there with a great big smile. :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

John_Haylow

I'll bet Mary is happy her machine is operational again. ;)
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

stonebroke

How cold and windy is it? Your snow must almost be gone by now.

Stonebroke

Bibbyman

It's been edging up a degree or two every day.  Today I think it got up to 40.  But when I wrote the post above,  I suspect the temperature was about 30 with a 10-15mph breeze.

Still some ice chunks around.  I noted a puddle on the shady side of the Durango is still frozen solid.  I'm still having problems picking up logs from the bottom of the stack that are frozen down.
Sawing since '94

isawlogs

you dont put your logs on skids in the fall to over come the freezing to the ground issue  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

zopi

Try a shop vac? fit hose on lock switch seal and suck...doesn't work very often, but sometimes it does..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Rockn H

I've used a good air gun and sort of swished it over the key opening before.  I've had luck getting them to come out enough to grab.

bl73

when possible we switch everything over to CAT ignitions, one key for everything makes it simple.

Thank You Sponsors!