iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unique Canadian food traditions

Started by sawguy21, December 26, 2018, 12:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

We had two Americans at Christmas dinner and got talking about different foods on each side of the border. I knew poutine, which I don't care for, is uniquely Canadian but was surprised to learn butter tarts, that sweet, sticky concoction we are all addicted to at this time of year are unheard of in the U.S. She doesn't bake so loves to come here to get her 'fix'. She also said she has trouble finding good fish and chips at home and had never seen a nanaimo bar which I suspect is unique to B.C. I wonder if there are other foods Americans have encountered for the first time here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

Your bacon is different than in the States and something about the pizza, but I can't remember what exactly.  Never have seen fondu in the US either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

We have restaurants around here that only sells fondue called "The Melting Pot".
I remember back in the late 70's early 80's fondue sets were all the rage for christmas.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LeeB

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 26, 2018, 01:34:14 PM
We have restaurants around here that only sells fondue called "The Melting Pot".
I remember back in the late 70's early 80's fondue sets were all the rage for christmas.
Wonder how many of them are still sitting on top of refrigerators gathering dust in the unopened box?  :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on December 26, 2018, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on December 26, 2018, 01:34:14 PM
Wonder how many of them are still sitting on top of refrigerators gathering dust in the unopened box?  :D :D
Very true! I know the one I gave my Dad back in the late 70's was still in the unopened box down in his cellar when I cleaned the house out in 2010.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Years ago my dad's employer would have dad (pilot) fly him  and party to Canada for hunting and fishing.  Dad came back with one story where they would kill a bird, and hang it till the hide slipped before cleaning and cooking.  Never knew if I could believe some of the stories he would tell, but that one rang true.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

Quote from: Southside logger on December 26, 2018, 12:53:49 PM
Your bacon is different than in the States and something about the pizza, but I can't remember what exactly.  Never have seen fondu in the US either.
I had forgotten about bacon, it is different from yours. I have not seen fondu for years, it was THE rage at dinner parties.

Don P

We had 2 sets that I remember, one was avocado green and ran on sterno the other harvest gold and ran on denatured alcohol. the forks had colored ends so you knew which one was yours. We used them with hot oil for meat, or cheese or chocolate for dipping stuff in. They were kinda fun. The next time I ran into fondue type meat was in western Iowa, they called it chislic... spiced deep fried chunks of beef, duck, muley and whitetail. Being from the land of "you can deep fry anything" I thought it was yummy. The main thing I've gotten from the Canadians I've met was, take it easy on the spices, I can make their food inedible to them pretty easily, don't know if that is an accurate depiction or just the folks I've dined with.

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

TimRB

I sure wouldn't mind if a plate of my wife's mom's Nanaimo bars showed up out of the blue somehow.

Tim

petefrom bearswamp

Lots of Oh! Henry bars around when I was a kid in the stone age
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

lxskllr

When I was a kid I had a fondue set I got at a yard sale. Probably around 1978. Seemed like more fun than it actually was. I think I only used it a couple times.

petefrom bearswamp

I also recall peameal bacon in Ontario
Ate it once dont remember how it was to a central new Yorkers  taste
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Don P on December 26, 2018, 05:00:33 PM
We had 2 sets that I remember, one was avocado green and ran on sterno the other harvest gold and ran on denatured alcohol. the forks had colored ends so you knew which one was yours. We used them with hot oil for meat, or cheese or chocolate for dipping stuff in. They were kinda fun. The next time I ran into fondue type meat was in western Iowa, they called it chislic... spiced deep fried chunks of beef, duck, muley and whitetail. Being from the land of "you can deep fry anything" I thought it was yummy. The main thing I've gotten from the Canadians I've met was, take it easy on the spices, I can make their food inedible to them pretty easily, don't know if that is an accurate depiction or just the folks I've dined with.
I hadn't thought of this in years, but when I was a kid, my Dad, My uncle George and a few of their buddies (4-6 total would leave every September to make the long drive to Newfoundland to hunt Moose. They would come home with several animals and each freezer was full for the year. I grew up on moose meat. But to the point, my Aunt Julia loved to cook and she began, over many years compiling her on recipe book of different ways to cook moose. She had some great ones and my Mom would use many of them. The best one EVER was moose fondue. Hot oil of course and sirloin tip of moose. It was like candy. We had it at my AUnt's house for the first time she tried it, and when the adults were full they retired to the patio for after dinner drinks. I sat there (11 years old) and ate everything that was left. I was in heaven. Oh that was so good I can taste it still today as I write. The other thing she made was deep fried eel, was was also like something from heaven. My Dad and his brother would take me eeling late at night out on the bay. I hated the catching (spearing) part with all those eels wriggling around in the bottom of the boat around my feet (I was about 10 years old). We would get back in around midnight and the next morning we would skin them out and soak them until my aunt did her thing. They were just like marshmallows. I would eat them until I could no longer move. Funny the things you remember.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Hilltop366

We had fondue at my sister in law"s on Christmas eve, have been for the last few years. Around 14 people at the table with 5 or six fondue pots with beef, pork and chicken mostly, some years it is seafood with lobster, shrimp and scallops.

Hilltop366

How about a hot lobster sandwich aka creamed lobster sandwich?

Canada is so big and varied in land/sea scape and cultural background that what I think of as Canadian is probably more regional.

Now back to the lobster sandwich, I will post a link to an article of how it became popular here, the restaurant in the article was located right next door (to the north) to my grandparents small farm. I grew up about 700 feet to the south of the farm, my parents had a motel the restaurant was so popular tourist from all over would plan their trips around going there to eat year after year.

http://eastcoastliving.ca/2017/12/hot-lobster-sandwich/

sawguy21

Hilltop366

Sure but it's a bit of a drive!  :D

69bronco

We visited friends north of the border years ago and they had Raclette. Not sure on the spelling, It was a kind of large hot plate with individual little pans. There were platters of different meats and veggies and you cooked your own and melted Raclette cheese over the top. It was a sociable event and very enjoyable, I could never find Raclette cheese until recently I found some in Florida.

GAB

All of my g'parents were born in Que., and my parents were born on farms that the north border of the farm was the U.S. /Canada line or international boundary.
Two of the dishes my mother would ocassionally make were maple syrup pie, and maple syrup dumplings.
I'm thinking these were originally Canadian dishes because one of the recipies had a french name.
For a batch of dumplings you start with a quart of maple syrup and you cook the dough in it.
Ah-yup it is sweet and mighty good and also very inflationary.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Bruno of NH

Tuterire meat pie my family made around this time of year
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

Home made maple syrup is scarce here in the west, no sugar maples. I love the stuff on corn bread which is actually relatively unknown here but very popular in the east.

curved-wood

Quote from: 69bronco on December 27, 2018, 07:03:25 AM
We visited friends north of the border years ago and they had Raclette. Not sure on the spelling, It was a kind of large hot plate with individual little pans. There were platters of different meats and veggies and you cooked your own and melted Raclette cheese over the top. It was a sociable event and very enjoyable, I could never find Raclette cheese until recently I found some in Florida.
We had a memorable raclette meal beside a lake and a wood fire. Took a chunk of raclette cheese hook with a large fork, face melt with the heat of the wood fire, scrape the smoked melted cheese on potatoes accompanied with deer sausages, homemade dill and a super Toscan wine. The type of meal that you add some sausage to finish your potatoes, add some cheese to finish the potatoes and add some more sausages to finish the potatoes.....I had to roll to reach my bed.    Thanks the Universe , God or ... for those good moments. Why me ? I dont know, but I am grateful.

rjwoelk

So my Dad came from the Russia, mennonite background, most folk call them crepes we called them Russian pancakes, egg, flour, salt vanila, milk, a very runny batter. they were as big as a dinner plate,  mom would have a stack of them at each end of the table.(8 of us kids) we would put brown sugar and cinnamon, or rogers golden syrup.  Now we use cooked rhubarb sweetened with brown or white sugar. This was a meal not dessert.  digin1 digin_2
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!