iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Few Pics of "Spare" Time

Started by Eggsander, July 08, 2002, 06:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eggsander

I put them in an album instead of posting them all here. Wouldn't want to use up too much server space.  :)
Just a few shots from last Spring and lately.
http://www.hpphoto.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=1708956
The whack of pine I was working on over the weekend was supposed to have been a one day job (ya right!). I still got two logs laying there. Between chipped carbide, a not-so-good re-tip job, and being generally too D@mn hot, the job didn't get all the way done. But it will.  ;)
Steve

Paul_H

I enjoyed the pictures,Eggsander.Nice setup.It looks like the young fella could be an upcoming sawyer. 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kevin

Nice job Egg!
Are you satisfied with the performance?

Frank_Pender

Nice "whacks" of fiber, Eggsander.  You will be able to recall with much pride the days you sawed the lumber for the new addition.   8)  You might have to invest in a metal detector for sawing logs that might have tramp metal. :'(  I found taht it payed off in a very short while due to tooth costs and down time. ;) Keep is posted on the house progress?  It is always fun to see the comptetion of ones efforts.
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

NICE JOB!  
     But I have a Q.  How do you get stacking sticks?  I produce mine when I trim the flitches but you do not have to do that.  What does you do?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

HORSELOGGER

Arky, When I swing saw, I make stickers as I edge. You side shift over 3/4" and flip over and cut em loose. When I get into a face that has some defects, i will cut them out by making stickers through that area untill a better board shows. ( by the way , my Lucas has been sold to a guy from Cal. and will be crated and shipped off this week :'( still trying to settle the love hate relationship with the woodmizer.  some days its ok and some days I would rather have kept swinging! One thing I can say, with out a doubt, judging not just by my own experience, but by looking at other guys lumber to, a swing blade mill makes CONSISTENTLY more accurate lumber than a band mill, and does it for less money, but you will work harder to get it ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Norm

Nice pics Eggsander, thanks for sharing them, sure makes nice lumber out of those big logs. I know what you mean about to darn hot, we've been running about 95-100 degrees in our saw shed, makes for some long days.

WoodChucker

Nice, thanks for letting us take a peak!

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

J Beyer

Can you post a pic of your log bunk/holder combo to keep the logs from rolling?  It would be neat to see what people do to keep their logs on a swinger mill from rolling.  I have a few ideas for a "log holder".  I'll go over it with my engineering friends with my ideas this weekend and report back.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice operation you have there. I would like to see one of these mills closer. anyone in Maryland have one?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

woodmills1

yes i was wondering how you keep the log from rolling or changing it's position to the saw.  on my woodmizer if i off clamp i make some nice wedge shaped stuff.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DanG

Those are called "clapboards."

:D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
good pic's and good to see another swing mill working ;) as for log's rolling i have not had a prob with mine the frist log i did was draged in place with a dozer  once i cut down to 5 inch off ground i left a 4 inch high lip on the right hand side (makeing a big L) the next logs get rolled on from the left and pushed hard against the lip then 2-3, 2 inch wheges taped in on the left hand side stops the logs rolling,the only prob i have had is cutting 2X6 (2 inch down 6 inch wide )if cutting the 6 inch last on my mill the weight lies on the back side of the blade  if i cut the other way 6 inch down 2 inch wide no probs
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Eggsander

Thanks for the comments guys.  :)
I am very satisfied with the mill's performance, just not always with my own.  :-/ Every time I think I'm set for a big production day something gets in the way (ie: nails, weather, poor planning, a touch of heat stroke, the beer fridge, etc.  ::) )
You can still pick off the stickers as you go, like Horsey said. Most of mine so far I have cut on the tablesaw from dry stock. Haven't you bit the bullet and ordered your swinger yet Arkansawyer?  ;)
The log bunk in this case is just 4 x 4's and shims for leveling. I use wedges on both sides to hold the log still. I haven't had a problem with big logs moving on me yet. Real small logs can be a pain. I've had the best luck so far using a big log that is partially sawed as a table with a fence on the right side like JD_Kid explained. The problem there comes when you're taking the last board or two off. The cant is too light and it wants to draw into the saw.
JB I'd really like to see what you've come up with. I've done a little cyphering on that myself but have yet to come up with something simple and all-purpose enough.
JD_Kid, stick a few thin tapered chunks in your back pocket. As you're sawing down the log horizontally slide one into the kerf every so often. The riving knife is enough to keep the stock off the blade, but on thicker stuff the pressure can turn the saw a bit. I've cut timbers up to 8 x 10 this way with no problems.  8)
If there was audio you'd here me saying to the boy "See, ain't this cool. You know when you get a little bigger I'll maybe let you help too!"  :D I think he's buying it so far, but he's pretty sharp.  :P
Steve

ARKANSAWYER

I have the order form filled out but have not sent it off for the swinger yet.  I sawed a 44 inch 12' red oak on my WM and Wanda was groaning.  About 700 bdft from that one log and Jeff has a photo maybe he will post it soon.  I could have used a swinger on it for sure.  I have some very nice 4/4 x 25" boards and 2, 8/4 x 20"
   Horselogger,
  You will learn to love your band and in this heat you will love the less physical work.  How did that Hickory turn out?  I must have missed the post.  Did you get some 0.055's?
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

HORSELOGGER

No siree I did not get the 055s.  The hickory is a distant memory now ( still have the slab pile stashed for winter though ;)) I brought 2500 feet of that nasty ol hickory to the flooring guy to be planed and molded, and he definatly removed me from his christmas card list :D That was some embarrasing stuff to bring to another wood professinals shop. :o I have a lot better luck with cherry and red oak, but I still am trying to get the "swing " of this bandmilling.      Hey! maybe thats the problem ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

woodmills1

I have had the most trouble with hickory.  needs very sharp blade with little set and very slow feed.  also turn often or yes it will be some embarrasing looking stock.  gives "rough" cut a whole new meaning
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Texas Ranger

OK, I have no idea what a swing saw is, unless they call it something else in Dixie.

Show it to me, PLEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE!! ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

DanG

Don, the swingblade saw is like a Skilsaw on steroids. It is mounted on a track that is moveable vertically and horizontally, and the saw pivots so that the blade can be either vertical or horizontal. You make your first cut, and when the saw exits the log, you pivot it 90 degrees to make the second cut on the return pass. It is set up so that the second cut intersects the first cut at the bottom, at a 90 degree angle. Presto......a board is born. :)  Then you move the track the appropriate distance (board size + kerf), and start the process over.  They are pretty quick, but look like they would work yer hiney off.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

sounds like to much hard wood for a southren boy, all the mechanizm to maintain, we'uns just got out of the saw pit.
(Deliverence in the back ground)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Eggsander

I wouldn't think it'd be that tough for you Don, I've heard so much about that Texas Swing

Steve

ARKANSAWYER

You have to see what they Swing down there in Texas and it is not work.  Though there is saw dust on the floor but, you wear Ropers and not steel toe boots. YEE HAA! 8) 8)
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I wouldn't got out to the "Left" coast and tell them you "Swing".  There are some strange people out there in those big cities,  I'm told. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodman

All i see is a big open blade slip and  it's allover
Jim Cripanuk

Thank You Sponsors!