iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What inch size logs?  SM MD LG?

Started by J Beyer, August 10, 2002, 10:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

What inch size do you sawyers classify as small, medium, and large?  Is small under the 14-16" range?

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Frank_Pender

JB, for me samll logs amount to those that are not economical for me to process with my mill.  In most cases that is a log that is les than 8" in diameter.  
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

We call anything that won't make a tie a small log and run it on the scragg mill (unless it appears to have Possibility of some FAS).

Anything over 24 inches is a big log to us.

Anything over 36 inches is too big but we have done a few anyway.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

To me:

Anything with a top of about 9" I call a small log, That's roughly a stretched open hand from tip of thumb to tip of little finger.  

A medium sized log would be in the 12" to 20" range. These make for a good job.

A large log  is 20" to 30".  These make for better specialty boards

Anything bigger than 30" is a B-i-i-g Log and a pain-in-the-neck.

Anything smaller than 9" is a tiny log and a Pain-in-the-neck or firewood.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Corley5

I don't mind a couple logs in a whack with 6" tops if they're straight but sure as h$ll don't won't a whole bunch of them >:(.  A log with a 20" top is just about right.  Not to big to turn and it'll make wide boards.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

ARKANSAWYER

6 to 12 is small, 12 to 20 med, 20 to 36 large, over 36 a days work. ;D
  I like them about 24 inches as I can get some nice wide boards and some 8 to 10 inch qsawn boards.  7 or 8 logs like that makes for a nice day.  I got in 9 red oak logs to saw for a guy Saturday that scaled 1,400 bdft Doyle.  I got a nice day coming this week.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

J Beyer

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

J Beyer

A "whack" on the buttocks?  That is the only whack that I ever experienced.  Or is the modern day "whack" a nice load of logs destined for a sawmill?  Some of the people that I work with could use the old "whack" to get them into gear.

JB

Paul_H

JB.
Seeing you are headed for a management position,you will learn that the old fashioned whack,although effective,isn't PC. :-/
Instead,you will have to learn to hold every thing inside,till your guts are all out of whack. ;)(see Bureaucratium)

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

You might do a search for 'whack' it orginated on this forum way back.  In the Ozarks we would call it a 'slew' but in Ireland it would be a 'rack'.

Could just tell you I suppose, but what would be the fun in that?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Toms sizes for his bandsaw are identical to what I would have said for our commercial Circle Mill. Optimum Log size of couse depends on what you are cutting, but 10" to 20" would put our mill at peak production.

Yes search out whack and find the origin. Its worth the read to find out about the most accurate formula for measuring wood volumes ever devised.
Be sure when searching to set the maximum age field to way back, and the number of posts to return to a lot.

"If you type in "way back" or "a lot" in the search fields, you need more help then I can give. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

Hey,a whack, why I will give ya a whack, if thats what ya be needin :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

A whack-a-logs, or a whack-a-stickered lumber? I gotta come down and watch you mill sometime when there's a break in the chaos..   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Thank You Sponsors!