iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to buy: New ms291 vs used ms260

Started by Steve 0, October 01, 2018, 01:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve 0

I'm about to buy a saw for cutting firewood (maple, birch) and property maintenance (spruce, pine, Swedish aspen). I won't be cutting a whole lot of wood but want to buy a quality saw that will run well and last for years. I've helped family members cut wood lots in the past but this will be my first saw. 

My current options are:
1) New ms291 with 20" bar - on sale for $509 CDN
2) used ms260 with 20" bar - $300

The ms260 looks like it was lightly used (from the pictures). 

I'm torn between buying a used pro saw vs a new "farm grade" saw. Any insight that could be offered would be greatly appreciated. 

HolmenTree

Welcome to the forum Steve.
Good sale on the 291 at the moment $650 regular price now on for $509.

A friend bought a 291 last werk at that price and he's really happy with it. He previously was running a 038.

I"m impressed with these new Stihl consumer saws you can't go wrong plus you have warranty and a brand new saw.
Someone elses used saw seen in a picture worries me even if they look lightly used.
But if it's tax free and b/c looks good a further inspection is warranted.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Steve 0

Thanks for your reply.

I've read around this forum a bit and found some good comments on how to inspect a used saw. I think I'll go out to have a detailed look at the ms260 before I make my decision. If it is in good shape I'd rather have a pro saw even if I'm not using it to it's full potential.

Spike60

Every comparison like this is different. All new saws are essentially the same, and as Willard said, come with a warranty. Every used saw is unique and needs to be evaluated. Some saws can look beat and run great. And some saws can look real nice yet have hidden problems. Look them over thoroughly.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

firefighter ontheside

That is a tough one.  I'm really happy with my 291.  It is a great saw.  I have no experience with the 260, but have seen a 261 in action and it is a champ.  I guess if I were you I'd choose the 260 if it is in great shape.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Steve 0

So I asked the guy if he'd mind either me or him removing the muffler, air filter and clutch cover to give it a good inspection.  His reply was "no".  He went on to tell me that he was collecting saws and this was one that he no longer wants in his collection.

Didn't give me a great feeling.  I would have thought that if it was part of a collection he'd be happy to show off the condition he kept it in.

I'm taking a pass on this one.  Hopefully I'll find another used pro saw in my area soon.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions

Inaotherlife

Take this for what it's worth, because I'm purely an amateur and not hardly as knowledgeable or experienced, with chainsaws in specific, as many of the other members here. 
But I've owned and used a few. And have a fairly high knowledge of tools in general.

I'd love to have a new Stihl saw. But not sure the 291 is the Stihl I'd love to have. 

I just picked up a new Echo CS-490, 50cc 20" bar sub-11 pound powerhead, mostly because I got a great deal on it. But after getting it I realized that it's lightweight and well balanced, and has the look and feel of a high quality saw.
I think it's worth a look. Especially if you can get it on the "one day only 20% off sale".

mike_belben

You can see the scored side of the bore through the plug hole too, with a flashlight.  Just fyi.  
Praise The Lord

teakwood

Quote from: Steve 0 on October 02, 2018, 11:23:47 PM
So I asked the guy if he'd mind either me or him removing the muffler, air filter and clutch cover to give it a good inspection.  His reply was "no".  He went on to tell me that he was collecting saws and this was one that he no longer wants in his collection.

Didn't give me a great feeling.  I would have thought that if it was part of a collection he'd be happy to show off the condition he kept it in.

I'm taking a pass on this one.  Hopefully I'll find another used pro saw in my area soon.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions
You're right to walk away from that deal.  There is no honest reason to not wan't to remove a muffler!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!