iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Let's see you're signs

Started by PAmizerman, April 16, 2018, 12:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

I'm looking for ideas for a new sign for my sawmill business. You guys that are out along the highway have you seemed to find any frases or something that seems to draw people in? Looking forward to pics and ideas. Thanks
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

WV Sawmiller

Do door signs count? My only sign is the magnetic door sign on my truck. Then again, I am chasing the mobile sawing market vs stationary. Good luck.

I have gotten a job or two directly from the sign on my truck and have many people come over to talk and I'd give them a business card. If nothing else it helps add some professionalism when I pull up to a client site.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Heres a picture of my great sign...if you cant see it, it's two rotten pine 4x4's rammed into thr ground,  a few spruce inch boards banged into them and with orange pray saint it says Lumber with an arrow pointing into my yard, logs wanted and the number.  Seems to work pretty good cause I'm buried with logs and work lol

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

oh it has my phone number on it too.  Ill try n remember to take a better shot tomorro
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

I can see hear my wife hollering at me,If you want to look at that,pull over before you get me killed. Never got her killed once. So far.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Slingshot

Here's the only sign I have.......

barbender

4x4, that is undeniably a fine sign that you have there, but I think you're business might have something to do with visibility😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

dustintheblood

During 25 years in the wood business, I never once hung a sign.

Main reason I had was the feeling that even hanging a tiny handpainted sign that says "lumber for sale" was the same as putting up a bright neon billboard saying "rob me cause I have tools".  The other thing was that I found the distraction of spectators (aka retired fellas and tire kickers) took away from staying focused on production.  Final reason was that our home is right next to the mill with really no separation (like a fence or trees), and I didn't want unscheduled knocks at the door.

I suppose I'd have a big sign if the mill was far from the home, with a big electrified fence, a moat and a realm mean guard goat.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Skipper11A

Make a sign that says, "Free beer tomorrow" with an arrow pointed toward your mill.  If you build it, they will come.

sawmilljoe

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on April 18, 2018, 07:56:16 PM
Heres a picture of my great sign...if you cant see it, it's two rotten pine 4x4's rammed into thr ground,  a few spruce inch boards banged into them and with orange pray saint it says Lumber with an arrow pointing into my yard, logs wanted and the number.  Seems to work pretty good cause I'm buried with logs and work lol

Having a tractor trailer hanging out over half the road is pretty effective I must say. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

Mine is pretty simple.

And the sign said Long Haired freaky people needn't otta apply.........

Five Man Electric Band - Signs with Lyrics - YouTube
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reswire

I had a business sign for one week.  After 50 oak boards were stolen, I took the darn thing down.  Now my only sign reads, "Forget the dog, owner has a gun".  So far, so good.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

PAmizerman

Well here's my situation. 
I will be starting with a clean slate and be moving to a new location along a state route. Very similar to what looks like 4x4's setup. I will have locked enclosed buildings. Or a fenced in yard. I want people to know that I do custom sawing and will fill custom orders. Everything will be on it's own lot so I will not have to wory about people bothering me at my house.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

red

You need an awesome web site,  then put the sign up.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

PAmizerman

Yes a website is on the agenda. I just have not contacted Jeff yet. I need to get a couple more things in order before I set my website up.
As for the sign it will probably be a year or two before I get to it but I am just planning ahead.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

barbender

I think if you're right on a main highway, about 90% of your work is done.
Too many irons in the fire

OffGrid973

I actually went the logo route first, then got a website up (still being finalized) and then after a successful 2017 bought some t-shirts for friends, family and good customers (most important). 

This past weekend my buddy got his shirt as a 40th bday gift and proudly wore it all night :)

When I am cutting I normally have my embroidered jackets on and keep business cards in the pocket.

When the "tire kickers" and on lookers stop over I give them 5 min, and if knowledgeable a few extra cards for their contacts.  Feel free to steal the code from my site as I paid $500 to someone overseas that had a nice mobile setup I wanted.  Plus I am handy with basic web code so I can modify as needed.

Wimer Hardwoods (Jeff you can also have the code anytime for the mobile piece, just PM me )
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

YellowHammer

We have a nice 5 foot sign on the front gate. 

Right next to it is this sign, which I believe is just as important. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

moosehunter

I built this 5 years ago,  my lovely bride repainted 2 years ago. Locust posts aand cross beam. White oak sign boards. TThe cemetery is at the end of our dead 
end road.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

Right now all I have are "yard signs".  I'm trying to decide what kind of permanent sign and where to put it.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!