iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone hear from our New Zealanders

Started by old joe, September 03, 2010, 09:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

One of our nephews is in Christchurch. He is a student at the University there, he is ok, was in the shower when it happened .. not sure the soap was all washed off  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

clww

I'm watching it on FOX News right now on Shepard Smith's show.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

IMERC

these are from a buddy that lives just outside of Christchurch...
(had to edit a little to get past the censers)..

Yup. This one really kicked the **** outa the place. I was on our side of the city, Jane was nearly at work in the city.

She is still trying to get home as traffic is gridlocked. Cant call as phones are overloaded.

People are dead, injured, buildings on fire, collapsed buildings everywhere. A real mess this time, not the warm up mess like before.

She made it only so far and then walked to a work mates house as it was way faster than trying to drive.

I was getting most of the text messages she was sending but she got none of mine.
Her friends hubby drove her home and we filled as many bottles as we had with water for him to take back as all the water supplies are out in the city.

Yesterday we went and got her car. Took 2, 44 gallon drums of water with us to drop off to a couple people as well. The place is screwed. Power still out to nealry 1/2 the city, water is out and will be for weeks. Sewer will not be back for possibly months.
Gas stations are either shut or running low on fuel and supermarkets are low on basics as people are stocking up even though they are being resupplied.

A few looters have been arrested which I think is way better than they deserve. A couple of kids have been waiting for days to see if their mother is going to be found alive in a destroyed building and while they wait some maggot robbed their house. I would donate the bullet and pull the trigger on that one.....

Fewer survivors are being found in the wreckage now and the dead count is at 98 and will go much higher.

When we were driving the long long way round to get the car we saw the stuffed and heaved roads as I had seen last time, the sand and water from liquifaction, the houses with a wall of bricks missing.....all expected. Then we would see a house completely wrecked with the only thing that looked house like was the roof at a crazy angle on top of the rubble. Gas station with the forecourt all heaved as the underground tanks had lifted, lines around the block for water from a tanker truck brought in..........bad man, really bad this time. This will take years to put right.

The environmental arseh**** who are/were working more to protect their egos than either then environment OR the needs of the public have been carrying out a big push for everyone to remove woodburners and install heatpumps. Pumps that use electricity to function, electricity which the city dont got. No cooking ability, no heat if they need it.....nothing.
A local fella some years ago designed and built a woodburner that heated water, the room and produced 10 times less smoke than the minimum allowable levels.....they told him to **** off. Didnt want to reverse a decision and dent their egos. Just wunnerful. Only bright spot so far is it didnt hit in mid winter or it would have been way way worse.

Either way, weirdly, I will get work and an income while a massive chunk of the city loses theirs. Strange really as up till a few days ago i was really stressed about how to pay the bills with no real work coming in.

Everyone I know is OK and has little or no damage.. We are expecting some to arrive in the next day or so for showers etc as we are situation normal here. One advantage to living away from the city...

Just when ya think you have heard about one of the lower forms of life, they exceed even that standard.

Last night 2 scumbags were caught trying to steal generators that the rescue blokes were using to look for trapped people.  They should tie them to a lamp post with a sign around their necks and let things happen...

The work doing emergency repair via that outfit is on hold as the main outfit 'isnt ready'. For ****** sake, they need something 3 days ago not whenever some suit gets his thumb outa his butt.
I am gonna make some calls tomorrow and see what I can get moving on my own. I saw a bunch of houses today that could be weather tighted in a couple days without a lot of work. Not the best but gotta be better than camped out in a park.

We took more water in, supplies are coming back on to the west side, the east is still without and will be for quite a while.. Thousands have left already and we got in OK, but had to line up for gas to get home.
One area we went into has a big cliff on the other side of the road with some pretty big rocks just sitting there. A huge amount of whoppers already came down and buggered some houses. Road is all heaved to hell, deep sand everywhere. They are patching the road and working to get the bridge fixed up to take heavier vehicles. Currently restricted to under 3.5 ton.

Lotta people out helping....digging out sand, handing out water, toilet paper, one place had an extension lead from the house to the street with a sign that said to help yourself to charge a cell phone. Despite all that, thousands need a place to live that is more than temporary. That needs to happen pretty *DanG quick as well. Today it felt like the weather was different. Cooler...more autumn like and although we have still officially still got a good bit of summer left it could be like last year where suddenly and early the temps dropped and we were in autumn.

I dont think we are getting censorship, you know how the media works. The more dramatic the better. Reality is out in the eastern burbs the place has been pounded. Sand and heaved roads can be dealt with, water, power and sewer outage is a lot harder. No place to live out of the weather will just get people sick if not sorted out. We have had some rain and lower temps but nothing bad enough to create serious problems yet..
The port will open tomorrow apparently and food and gas can come in there. Supermarkets and gas stations are being supplied by truck but an awful lot of people are panic buying from both and creating long lines and shortage of gas. . Beats me where the hell they are gonna drive to use up all that fuel they gotta have.
Out this way there is no damage. From the look of the supermarket carpark you would think the world had ended on tuesday and this place was the epicentre.

The CBD is wrecked. Pics on the news all day long.. We keep trying to work out which buildings are which as the damage is so bad that we are struggling to identify them. Got most of it figgured now. It is bad. There will be an awful lot of empty space when all those damaged ones get cleared away. Thousands have no jobs or income. Goobermint is setting up assistance money for them but it pretty much covers food only. I dont know how it will go with mortgages etc.

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ernie

Photo taken at the moment the earthquake struck.  Taken from the Port Hills above Christchurch.

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

When they say the city is like a bomb site - that picture really brings it home  :o

Latest estimate is 1/3 of the central city will need to be demolished and rebuilt.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jamesamd

Looking at that photo,I'm amazed that the loss of life was as low as it was.My Prayers go out to all thoes family's,that have lost,loved one's.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

shinnlinger

--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/F8VZW.jpg
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

IMERC

the latest from my buddy...
don't know what or how big a Ute is....

Not a lot more to tell.

I got hold of someone about the fixit work. Will get the paperwork done on Monday. Everything is waiting for the goobermint noddies to inspect and provide a list of those houses needing repair. Like it aint obvious when ya drive past.......

No more survivors found since wednesday. Death toll keeps going up.

A newspaper article said this quake was caused by an unknown fault which was independant of the last one, which was also unknown.
I think that pretty much blows the s out of any claims that eveything after last year was going to be an aftershock. This was a whole new deal and we could easily be in for more of the same, or none for a long long time.
I have wondered for a long time how come the thinking is that after a quake the thing has expended the energy and everything is good from now on. Why doesnt it release but in the process add strain to another?..........looks like it does.

Dont know if you got it, but on the day of the quake a ute sized rock got shaken out of a cliff and bounced happily down the hill. It travelled a long way and went clean through a house. It must have been going at one helluva speed. Put big gouges and dings in the ground where it landed from a bounce. It ripped the middle right out of the house. Lucky nobody was in it.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ernie

Quote from: IMERC on February 27, 2011, 02:36:15 PM
the latest from my buddy...
don't know what or how big a Ute is....

Ute = utility = pickup truck eg Toyota Hilux
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

At least enough time has past for the Jokes to start.

For a local message board, posted by a Christchurch resident.
QuoteYou know you're from Christchurch when...

1.You use the term "liquefaction" and "seismic design" in casual conversation.

2.Digging a hole and pooping in your garden is no longer weird.

3. Your mayor describes the city as munted. If he means FUBARed, you agree

4.Weaving through car size potholes on the street is no longer weird

5.Going to Wellington to escape earthquakes makes sense

6.A shower is heaven

7.You have a preference of which kind of silt you'd rather shovel, dry or wet

8.You see tanks driving around town

9.You are always noting what you are under

10.Due to frequent aftershocks during the night, you sleep like a baby--every 10 minutes you wake up and sh*t yourself

And added later.
Quoteou know your in Christchurch when a bunch of students turn up and your property looks better after they have gone than before they arrived!!

(Thanks student army, my old auntie and uncle really appreciated your help).

The local Unversity students (the Uni is of course closed) so they are organising work crews to go and help residents clean up. 1,000 students can move a lot of silt from gardens and driveways in a day.

And

Quote- you hear how bad things are in Libya, but things actually look worse outside your own house.
:-\

Latest estimate on the damage, 20 Billion $$$....  Sounds like our Earthquake insurance is going up in the near future  :(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!