iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did you hear it?

Started by macpower, April 30, 2012, 06:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macpower

Did you guys hear that dog yelp? Guess how I finished up my day! Haven't done that in ages, but I got six inch slick spot in that blade now. At least it wasn't a fresh one.
Been sawing some "box wood", that's what the local farmers call it. Eastern white pine sawn wide and thin, (1/2x6-1/2x16), mostly 4-6 foot lengths. They make trays to pack plant pots in with it. Real good way to salvage blow downs as you don't need much of a log. Down side would be it's a lot of sawing to make bdft. Up side would be that off bearing isn't too hard on the back.
Put my kid on the payroll this weekend, cut him a deal to work on shares, 1/3 for the mill, 1/3 for him, 1/3 for the old man. He has agreed to learn to do everything, and swap jobs as need be. Little bugger made himself a hundred bucks over the weekend.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Macpower,

So, do you calculate the bdft based on the actual thickness? That is, a 1/2" thick 6" x 2' board would be one bdft if you used the thickness. Most sawyers I've heard talk about it would use 1" as the thickness in the calculations, making that same board two bdft for calculating charges...

Just wondering...

Herb

wannasaw

Thought you was gonna say did you hear that"zzzzzp" sound an it's $22...
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Chuck White

If I saw 1/2 inch lumber, it's still charged as 1 inch!

macpower, welcome to the crowd.

There are people that talk about it (fess-up) and those who don't.

Take my word for it, most of us here have hit the dogs and/or the clamp!  :-[
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Thought those wooden boxes were long gone. I can remember the 3\8 ones.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

macpower

I set and saw  @ 1/2, no kerf allowance, seasons out at a proud 3/8. This seems to be what they want. Some still take the wood boxes over plastic trays.
I charge on board measure, 1/2 inch is 1/2 inch. I adjust the bdft price for the product. This seems to work out best for me and the customer. The way I see it is that I can saw 6x6 a lot faster and with less wear and tear than a 1x8. I run a manual mill and I'm not particularly fast with it so charging by the hour doesn't really work out good.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Magicman

I like getting the younger folks involved with the business.  They are where the future is, and even with advanced technology, hand skills are needed.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Mac,hope your leaving the last board 1," going under that is walking on thin ice,especially with a circular mill.My old shingle mill came from Maine used to cut thin boxwood for fish boxes,they just put even toothed cams on insted of the wide narrow shingle cams.Do you have much trouble with the thin wide ones curling.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Mac,theirs two kind of sawyers those that have hit dogs and those that lie about it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

That last board is always an inch on a Thomas unless you put a shim under the last board.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!