iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms 660 magnum or husqvarna 285 cd

Started by Comunga, September 27, 2018, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comunga

I currently have a husqvarna 285 cd, I wanted it for milling but ended up also using it for firewood. After a few close calls (no chain brake) I decided to get another saw for firewood but just got offered to trade it for a Stihl 660 (with chain brake!), I just have to throw in $100.
Would you keep the husq for milling and get a new saw for wood or trade for the 660 and use that for everything?

sawguy21

Will your budget allow you to keeep the 285? I don't think I would want to  pack a 660 cutting firewood but for milling it will run circles around the Husky.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ButchC

This is why you need at least 10 chainsaws,, all real saw guys should be giving me a like now ;D

I have a 660 and they are just simply the best saw in that size range IMO but all day cutting firewood? Not with this old guy on the handles.  If the 660 is in good shape I would trade the guy just because that is a great deal but in my firewood world with a 25 " bar the 461 gets almost as much done and handles oh so much better than the 660.

So, my  answer is keep them both, then add a few more. Then when you have all the bases covered from 40CC to about 100 you start going for duplicates ;D
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

HolmenTree

The 41 year old 285cd design is quite dated. Over 20 lbs PHO and only 85cc, pretty hard to blow them up though as it's a small bore 2100.

16 lb 660 at 92cc is a saw I'd sooner handle all day and get alot more cutting done.
But if you can find a 1997 066 or older (MS660 introduced in 2002) you will have a the best saw in its class.
Starting in 1998 brought on EPA design misery for the  Stihl 066 and it wasn't just limiter caps on the carb, but whole new porting #'s and design.

Here's my recently OEM rebuilt 1997 066 Magnum and I'm very impressed with it, rings aren't even seated in yet and it pulls chips equal to my rebuilt 1992 066 Mag in the background.
But I did get the older 066 down to the weight of a MS461, which is a joy to run with the 20" Stihl ES Light bar.

Still tons of OEM parts available for these 066's. When you rebuild them #1 thing is replace all rubber parts with OEM parts.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

And speaking of Stihl OEM parts here's a pile of empty wrappers from half of the parts I put into these 2 saws :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Thank You Sponsors!