iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A fund raser for some friends

Started by steamsawyer, May 04, 2012, 03:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamsawyer

After ldman's thread about cutting a mantle I thought I should tell a little story.

On Feb. 25th some very good friends of ours lost everything they own when their house burned down. The house was over a hundred years old and it has been in the same family since it was built.

Well Herman is one of those good old boys that would give you the shirt off his back and he has sponsered many fundraisers and benefits for other people in need over the years. Including one for my wifes sister when she needed a double lung transplant. So a big group of friends decided it was time to turn it around.

The part where I come in is where I built this picnic table set to donate for a silent auction. It is made from pine I sawed back in December.

Now first off, I have never been acused of being a carpenter but I must say I am proud of the outcome. Most of the construction is 2x8s. The main feature is the copper tray that runs through the center of the top. This is for ice to set your drinks and condements in. The benches are 2-1/2" thick and 14" wide. There are 74 5/16 carrage bolts and a bunch of brass screws that were donated by a local supplier where I buy all that kind of stuff. The copper sheet was donated by a local sheet metal shop.

The benefit was held last Saturday with well over 2000 people attending and meals served. A choice of fish fry, BBQ, or seafood gumbo, and all the fixins. We had three bands, including my band "Blue Cypress Bluegrass." My table only brought $650.00 but I felt really good with that. The buyer was the gentleman that owns the sheet metal shop that donated the copper. You could say he bought the copper twice.

Some photos...

Almost forgot to mention. I was talking to Herman at the benefit and he asked me if I would cut a nice thick pine mantle for him when they start building his new house. I said "Of course I will."

Alan

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

thecfarm

That is one mighty fine looking table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Way to go for helping out a buddy!

moosehunter

That is a nice table. I hope when I build our I can remember the cold tray,... way "cool" idea!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

Congrats on the workmanship involved with building the picnic table set, but more especially for the donation and being a part of such a noble cause.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

Nice table. My wife loves tables like that.   8)

Bill Gaiche

Nice table. Its great that a person has the tools and equipment to produce for a worthy cause. Thank you for being a part of such a cause. bg

steamsawyer

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. I just figured I had the lumber and the tools so I had to do something with them.

We also donated all the procedes from our weekly bluegrass show last Tuesday night toward the benefit fund. It was the last show of the season and we got the hall rent donated as well... google  Blue Cypress Bluegrass vero beach fl... If you can tolerate bluegrass music.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Alan Rudd

jim blodgett

Good job, Steamsawyer.  Funny how much you get when you give, isn't it?

Hey, GREAT looking table.  I AM a carpenter.

Magicman

Alan, That old bass must have some stories to tell.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

crosscut

really nice table even better helping your friends. glad you shared that. even if it did make me think thats one more thing i need to build . seems like lately the more i get done the farther i get behind. ;D

sandhills

I love the table and the music, you have every right to be proud!

steamsawyer

Quote from: Magicman on May 04, 2012, 08:10:23 PM
Alan, That old bass must have some stories to tell.   :)

Yes that old bass has been in places most people don't even know there's places. I is a Kay that was built in 1939 and it's just getting broken in. I bought it from the original owner that played it in a swing band back in the '40s. He was 84 when he sold it to me 32 years ago. It is built to be played left handed but it is strung up right handed since that is how I play.

Thanks  sandhills. Not everyone likes bluegrass they say "all the songs sound the same" but when the music starts playing, their foot gets to tapping.

Thanks again for the complements guys.

Alan

Alan Rudd

hardtailjohn

Quote from: sandhills on May 05, 2012, 01:05:17 AM
I love the table and the music, you have every right to be proud!

I second that!!!  Very clever to put the ice chest in the table...gotta remember that one! As far as the music....I've played and loved bluegrass since the  early 70's....you guys sound great!
Some of my best times have been doing benefits.... either by donating work or playing!
Thanks for sharing!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Magicman

Thanks for the Bass history, and yes, I enjoyed the music.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!