iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New grinding wheels for my Dinasaw Band Saw Sharpener

Started by Quebecnewf, November 21, 2015, 05:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

trying to find some replacement grinding wheels for my sharpener. The only place that seems to carry them is all the way out on the west coast and they seem to me to be very expensive for what is just your basic ( other than the weird size)  small grinding wheel

The size is 5" dia X 3/16" thick with a 7/16" hole . They are made by Bates Abrasive. Tried that company but seems they are now part of a bigger company. Called there trying to find sales rep or dist. In CanĂ da . Sent email, left message all with no luck.

Tried the Nortons abrasives catalogue. They have one wheel that is close and maybe might do
It is 5" X 1/4" thick with 1/2" hole. It's a 1/16th thinner and the hole is a little bigger but could be bushed out I would think.

Just wonder if anyone else out there is using this sharpener and what they are doing for replacement wheels.

Saw on the site that there are now CBN type wheels for this sharpener. Very expensive over 200.00 dollars. Not sure on this as I thought that CBN wheels had. To have oil coolant . This is a dry grinder.

Any thoughts or comments ?

Kbeitz

I see lots of 5-3/4" on E-bay. You could diamond dress it down.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Quebecnewf

uler3161

For some reason the dinasaw wheels (both the regular and cbn) went up a lot in price a few years back. We first got ours back in 2007. Since then, they've almost doubled the price. I tried to find alternative sources without much luck. I was planning on trying to find wheels with a bigger hole and just use a bushing.

The cbn wheel (they call it cyclone) has been around for awhile. We had one when we first got the sharpener. Dad thought it lasted a lot longer but wasn't sure it was worth the price when you could buy quite a few regular wheels for that price. We did not use any coolant with it.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Larry

Quote from: Quebecnewf on November 21, 2015, 05:46:35 AM
Saw on the site that there are now CBN type wheels for this sharpener. Very expensive over 200.00 dollars. Not sure on this as I thought that CBN wheels had. To have oil coolant . This is a dry grinder.

Any thoughts or comments ?

CBN grinding is becoming quite common and a lot is done dry.  Folks are buying CBN wheels as replacements on bench grinders for sharpening tooling.  The wood turners are reporting the wheels are good for years, maybe decades when used on tool steel only.

I've often wondered why oil is used for sharpening bands.  I suppose either as a coolant or a medium to get rid of the fine dust generated.  I would just follow the manufactures recommendation.

Bushings can be bought for just about any size.  I made some last week to bush a metric hole to an inch arbor shaft.  Took maybe 30 minutes so its something any machinist could do, probably in half the time it took me.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Quebecnewf on November 21, 2015, 07:52:18 AM
Is the hole size and the thickness correct?

Yes...
I would post a link but thats not aloud here.
Just do a search for "stone 5" dia X 3/16" thick with a 7/16" hole "
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dozer326

Sku# 98862 from harbor freight is what I use on mine.  Two disk set for the saw blade sharpener they sell.  It's $10.  I use the metal disc that comes with it to shape the wheel.  I have to drill out the hole just a bit with a hand drill.  I think it's a 7/16" bit...  The arbor size is similar to begin with.  I've sharpened hundreds of blades this way. 

Quebecnewf

Quote from: dozer326 on November 21, 2015, 08:45:42 PM
Sku# 98862 from harbor freight is what I use on mine.  Two disk set for the saw blade sharpener they sell.  It's $10.  I use the metal disc that comes with it to shape the wheel.  I have to drill out the hole just a bit with a hand drill.  I think it's a 7/16" bit...  The arbor size is similar to begin with.  I've sharpened hundreds of blades this way.

Looks like Harbour Freight does not ship to Quebec but ships to other provinces in Canada. Not sure what that's all about Might find this item in Canada , still looking.
Found another company that is in Canada called Molemab. There in Quebec , think they might have what I need , calling them tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info

Quebecnewf

woodyone.john

Riksaws do a reasonably priced cbn wheel.Even at more than $200 they are cheap so long as you set your grinder up to a new blade for an accurate profile ,dont run your blades to they wont cut any more and you do light grinds. If you can use some oily coolant then sharpened blades in storage dont go rusty.Reprofiling stones would get old very quick for me.IMHO
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Quebecnewf

Quote from: woodyone.john on November 21, 2015, 10:58:45 PM
Riksaws do a reasonably priced cbn wheel.Even at more than $200 they are cheap so long as you set your grinder up to a new blade for an accurate profile ,dont run your blades to they wont cut any more and you do light grinds. If you can use some oily coolant then sharpened blades in storage dont go rusty.Reprofiling stones would get old very quick for me.IMHO
Tried some searches on that but getting nothing . Can you give further details
Quebecnewf

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Quebecnewf

My grinder is a drag style . I don,t think that style wheel will work. Not sure on this though. Still looking . Thinking of cutting guard of so it will swing a 5 3/4"  stone. These seem to be more common and cheaper. Anyone tried that?
Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Talked to Molemab today . They had what I needed. Ordered 5 and having them delivered to Sherbrooke. 12.75 each . Guy assures me they are good wheels. He seemed to know his stuff

Quebecnewf

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Molemab makes a good product. We are taking on the DinaSaw line. The product is getting on with our next container from Lucas Mill. We should have it here and ready to ship in about 8 weeks. If any body is interested in pricing, just PM or e-mail me.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Thank You Sponsors!