iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whitfield fuel/air calibration

Started by Qweaver, January 28, 2008, 09:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I just bought a used(4 years old) Whitfield Profile 20-2 pellet stove and I'm fairly sure that the calibration of fuel/air is wrong.  When I get to the part of the manual that covers calibration it tells me to call a technician.  My main problem is that the stove will not stay lit on the low setting because the pellets burn high then low repeatly until at some point it burns down so low that the electric eye shuts the stove off.  The damper is almost all of the way in (within 1/8")  The previous owner told me that this brand of pellets (Somerset premium bought at Lowes) burn much faster than others that he has used before and that may be adding to the problem.  I got a 12 hour burn time out of a 40 lb bag of pellets last night and the book tells me that I should have gotten 16 hours on the medium setting.  Of course that would seem to be a function of feed rate not burn rate and that can only be changed if I know how to do it...which the manual does not tell me. ::)
This stove was serviced and calibrated recently by a "qualified technician" using these pellets...but we all know that not all technicians are created equal and the stove has an obvious problem and I'm not about to pay an $80 fee to find out how good or bad my local guy is. 
I cleaned the electric eye and filter this AM and this may help (the filter was pretty dirty) but I know I still have a calibration problem.   I'm also concerned that the damper was so far in and that even pushing it all the way in will still let a lot of air pass.  I guess what I need is a technicians manual.
Any help is appreciated. 
BTW, other than this problem, I'm loving the stove.
On another note, has anyone tried running the exhaust thru another heat exchanger to further heat air or water?  There is still a lot of heat in the gas coming out of that pipe.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

logwalker

I have never run a pellet stove so can't be too helpful here but i do have experience with flame sensors. What is causing the flame to rise and lower? Is it the rate of feed or the damper opening and closing? Has cleaning the eye made any difference? What do you actually adjust when you calibrate a pellet stove? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!