iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydrogen to run engines

Started by Tom L, August 27, 2014, 07:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

May be practical.  But will it be better to turn the organic material into methane or methanol, which are also practical fuels, and already pretty well proven in auto use.

Sure Hydrogen burns cleaner, and your car has no carbon emissions. But the by-product of their reaction is CO2, so the CO2 emissions is the same, just in another place.

But I agree that if you want hydrogen, that would be a good way to produce it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kbeitz

I made my own Hydrogen fuel cells It was fun but sure not worth it.
You use as much energy making the fuel as you get out of it.
I made a Hydrogen torch. Now that was hard to do with out blowing my self up.
And i did all this in my basment. But it was all fun...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

One basic law of physics regarding matter is it is neither made or destroyed only that its form is changed .

Take for example the U-boats of the US Navy I once rode .We took sea water and separated the elements reaping the oxegon and burned off the hydrogen and carbon monoxide which was returned to the sea .We breathed the O2 and gave off Co2 which was also returned to the sea .Nothing changed in the broad spectrum of things .It wasn't like we lowered the oceans of the world either .However in all of this it took a form of energy to accomplish. Like they say there is no free wood pile .

ozarkgem

I have a friend that works at a Wal Mart distribution center and some of the forklifts have hydrogen fuel cells instead of batteries. I ask him to get me the info off the fuel cell so I could research it. He said they have  a filling station for the fuel cells. I found that quite interesting .
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Ianab

I can see how it would be practical for a forklift being used inside. They wont want CO from a propane engine poisoning people, a tank of hydrogen can store a lot more energy than a battery, and can be refueled relatively normally (in minutes), as opposed to a battery that needs hours to recharge.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

starmac

I would like to see more info on these hydrogen run forklifts, every warehouse I have ever been in in the last 30 years or so used propane forklifts or electric, I have never heard od any hydrogen powered ones at all.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ozarkgem

Quote from: starmac on May 17, 2016, 12:28:03 AM
I would like to see more info on these hydrogen run forklifts, every warehouse I have ever been in in the last 30 years or so used propane forklifts or electric, I have never heard od any hydrogen powered ones at all.
[/quote
Me either. that is why I asked him to get me the info on it. All I have ever seen were battery powered. I also saw a Wal Mart truck with a sign saying it was powered by Compressed Natural gas.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

plantman

Ianab stated correctly that it takes more power to create the hydrogen than you get from burning the hydrogen. Forget it, and keep buying gasoline like the rest of us.

Thank You Sponsors!