Sponsors:

Brain Teaser

Started by etat, June 03, 2004, 12:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Take a break and sharpen yor math skills  
I started two watches at the same time. It turned out that
one of them went two minutes per hour too slow,
and the other went one minute per hour too fast. When I looked at them again, the faster one was exactly one hour ahead of the other. How long had the watches been running?  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Mark M

I'm thinking 20 hours but there must be a trick cause that's too easy.

iain

when did you buy them?

Danny_S

Ummmmm yea, I'm with mark,....  20 hrs.  Do I win a FF hat  ???   :D
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

etat

20 hours it is.  The WINNERS  are eligible to enter the Logerite contest!!!!  Additionally,  I'll send ya a big ole box of grits!!!!! ;D  Ummm Good!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Rocky_J

ummmm, 17 hours?  :P

Tom

I've been figgerin' on this thing for about 2 hours now and still need some more time.  My watchs are those 3 minute egg timers and I took some sand out of one and put it in the other and been turnin'em over real regular.  If I don't lose count it'll still be awhile. :-/

SwampDonkey

hmmm
X = number of minutes running

X/60 = 60 - 2X/60
X = 3600 - 2X
3X = 3600
X = 1200 minutes = 20 hrs

;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ARKANSAWYER

YEP!  That was easy.  Now when are the two watches going to have the same right time again?  I bet not before my Wife takes them both back to Wal Mart. :D
ARKANSAWYER
   Remember even a broken watch is right twice a day. ::)
ARKANSAWYER

OneWithWood

Some days the broken watch does better than me  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

I lost count of the egg timers.  Had to start over.....  I quit :D

etat

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

etat

Ok  here's ya another one.
How many feet in a mile.  Hint (5280 feet).   Why?????

Rocky_J

ummm..... 5280?  :D

Tom

Because the mille (roman mile) was comprised of 5,000 feet.(real feet)

The English used furlongs (660 feet)

For the English to use miles, they had to change the Mile's length to 8 furlongs (5,280 real feet) so it would match their system of surveying farm land which, was measured in furlongs.

The Statute mile is  8  furlongs, 80 chains, 320 rods, 1760 yards or 5280 feet or, if you are from one of those Metric countries, exactly 1609.344 meters.

Now,  if you are talking about Nautical miles?

10 cables  = 1 nautical mile = 6080 feet = the angular distance of 1 minute of arc on the earth's surface :P :-/.

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/sea.htm

SwampDonkey

Here's one fer ya's

How many square miles does an aerial photograph, with a scale of 1 inch = 1040 feet, cover ( 1 cm = 12500 cm, metric). Format of the photo is 9 inches by 9 inches.

[Edit]
Solution:  1 inch/1040 feet = X/9 inch
                X = 9360 feet
so,            9360feet/5840 feet/mile = 1.60 mile
square that = 2.56 square miles

Note that most aerial photos have 30 % overlap for stereo and if you discount this area on the photo you have 1 square mile toward the centre of the photo without overlap. ;D
[snip]

Here's another one, carefull its loaded :D :D

Assume that two road intersections shown on a photograph can be located on a 1:25,000 scale topographic map. If the measured distance between the intersections is 47.2 mm on a map and 94.3 mm on the photograph, (a) What is the scale of the photograph? (b) At that scale, what is the length of a fence line which measures 42.9 mm on the photograph?  AND (c) Is the scale in reference to sea level or terrain elevation? ;)

[Edit]

a) ground distance between the intersection is determined from the map scale as:

0.0472 m x 25,000/1  = 1180 m
by direct ratio, the photo scale is:
    = 0.0943 m/1180 m =   1/12,513   or 1: 12,500 ( 3 sign. figures)

b) 0.0429 m /  1/12,500 = 536.25 m or 536 m

c) this case its in reference to sea level because measurements were compared with an assumed map datum (height above sea level).

Note: If we took measurements on the ground by measuring the horizontal distance between intersections and compared it to the measured distance on the photo, we would be determining scale in relation to terrain elevation. Don't even need to know the height of the camera lens above sea level in that case. This is called ground truthing the aerial photograph. If you know the height above sea level the camera was when taking the photo then you can determine terrain elevation. Some cameras will record the altitude and stamp it on each photo, taken from the planes instruments. :)

Simple stuff, right? ;)
[snip]

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

hmm-m   I need a metric egg timer :-/

Danny_S

-------ALOT------  :D
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Rocky_J

ummmm... I GOT IT!!!
20 hours!  :)

etat

Tom, great answer!!!!

Swamp, that's a trick question.  We gotta know  the altitude the pictures were taken from, what kinda camera,  the exact geographic location of the map,  the method used to develope the film,   the property owners  full name and birthdate, what type of fence, and if the roads are blacktop, concrete, dirt, or gravel,  before we can even begin to calculate an answer!!!! :D

etat

Next question:  This one's REALLY easy.

7 months of the year have 31 days; how many have 28?

SwampDonkey

nah, don't need to know none of that. Its just simple ratio (fractions) math. You didn't pay attention in grade 7. And you thought all that homework with fractions was no good for anything? ;)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

All 12 months have at least 28 days in'm and one month has only 28 days 'cept on leap year.  ;D

Sneeky guy :D :D :D

Mark M

Well if you want hard questions then: how far can a dog run into the woods? ;)

SwampDonkey

Nah, we ain't look'n for nothing complicated like that. :D :D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!