iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glad To Be Home

Started by Fla._Deadheader, June 04, 2004, 04:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Went to the camp on Tuesday and got ready to go logging Wednesday.

Got up early and went to the Oklawaha and started the endless search for logs. Went about 10 miles upstream and found 2 decent floaters that were stuck in the drying mud. Put Ed ashore and he trekked through the mud with the chainsaw. Had to halve the log to pull it into the water.

Pulled and tugged and did everything possible, and after about 15 minutes, the 1st half was in the water. The 2nd half wasn't so bad. About that time, the rain started. The wind got WAY up and the Lightning started popping VERY close. We shoved the logs into the weeds and made for the Hwy Bridge, about 1 mile away.

Made the Bridge just as the trees started to sizzle. Then, POW !!!!!!!!!!  :o :o   A brilliant blinding flash of light was IMMEDIATELY followed by the loudest crash I ever heard. :o :o   It rained and poured and the wind blew the rain in under the bridge, so there was no way to stay dry. Very fierce storm. Lasted about 30 minutes.

Finally the storm moved on and the rain quit, so, we went back for the logs and tied them on and went for the camp.

That night another storm blew in. The rain started around dark and then the wind got up, BIG TIME. The thunder and lightning was bad, again. Storm lasted till midnight.

Got up Thursday morning, had Breakfast and headed for the dock. Upon arriving at the dock, the "Swamp Rat" was nowhere to be seen. :o :o :o :o

We looked up and down the river, no Swamp Rat. ??? ???  We had tied it up in the boathouse, which is really 6 poles with a roof and walking dock. One anchor line was hanging from a dock cleat, with a boat cleat still fastened to it. It had broken the bolts holding the cleat. The other dock line laid limp, in the water, still tied to the dock cleat ??? ???  We tried to use the Barge, but, the keys to it were in the cooler box on the Swamp Rat. ::) ::)

Ed gets a bright idea to use a jumper wire to hot wire the outboards. ::) He disconnects the wiring harness, which disables the kill switch, and Da**ed if he didn't get both outboards running. ;D  Less than ¼ tank of gas in either tank, so, off we go to the camp and tie up and go for $1000.00 worth of gas. ::) ::)  Called the law to report a missing boat. Main problem was, all the paperwork for the logging was in that same cooler as the Barge keys. Plus, we had cant hook, chains, winch, toolbox and all sorts of stuff we usually leave in it overnight ::) ??? :o

Got back with the gas and talked briefly with a neighbor. He said the weather had up to 70 MPH winds that night. Waves were crashing over the gunwale on his boat and it took quite a beating against his dock. :o :o :o

The Wind and rain came out of the Northwest. The Tide was running in from the Northwest. We headed southeast, out into Lake George, figuring we had a sunken boat on our hands. We circled Drayton Island, that's where we stay, and saw nothing. Finally, we figured , lets go look for logs and maybe someone will find the boat and call the law.

We headed northwest, toward the Oklawaha. About 3 miles away from the dock, ED says, let's go check that boat over in the brush. As long as it was on the way, I swung the Barge to the left and went toward shore. The closer we got the more encouraged we got. Lo and Behold, there was the "Swamp Rat", sitting among the Lily Pads, just bobbing away. ::) ;D ;D

Now, remember the direction the storm and Tide came from ??? ???

I defy ANYBODY to tell me how the boat headed INTO the storms direction, for 3 miles. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Did I mention that there is a BAR right across the river from the dock???  Is it possible that the Swamp Rat was borrowed, or, was it just hankin for another log to pull ::) ::) ;D

Ed jumped in and started it up and we took it back to the camp and tied it to the dock. We went back logging.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Well, like I've said before, at least you're having fun!  :D :D

That's a great story, I really needed a laugh today!  ;)

Tom

Well, I've sat here for the last minute or two giving this some deep thought and have come to the conclsion that you have been visited by extraterrestrials in a UFO that caused the influx of high winds due to their anti-gravity drives The lightening and booming was them slowing down when they came in and speeding up as they left.  

The Swamp Rat was probably an item of immense interest to an individual from a barren planet who was studying logging and forestration.  They probably still don't know why you had a cant hook in a boat. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Ooooooo K.  That is about as good an answer as any. I won't bore ya with the story about the near broke nose and teeth. ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

You haven't been bar brawling, have you Harold? :D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

From the sounds of it, I think bar hopping would be safer. Glade you guys are ok.
EZ

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

Never ending battle of the swamp rats.

;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!