iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oak or Burr oak

Started by Plowboy, June 13, 2004, 09:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plowboy

I was wondering if burr oak is as good for a wagon deck or trailer decks as what white oak is.  I don't have a lot of access to white oak at the moment but I could get some burr oak.  Everything I need to saw is going to be in two inch and some 3x8 beams.  Thanks

beenthere

Bur oak, which is in the white oak group, should work as well.

It may take more log volume to get the equivalent volume of useable lumber from the Bur oak, vs a white oak tree, due to normal growth differences (i.e. quality).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HORSELOGGER

Hey Plowboy, your not too far from me, as I am in NW Illinois, and I saw lots of bur oak for fencing , posts and decking, and I mix it in with my white oak flooring sometimes if it is clean. It is just as tough and durable as white oak, but around here it is more available , larger and cheaper ;D I have found that the burs that are more open grown ,like pasture trees, tend to have lots of stress in the main stem, from holding up the large canopy.Lots of turning on that lt15 ;)
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Norm

We use burr oak for trailer decking here, it is just as good as true white oak. I actually like the color of burr oak for q-sawn wood also, nice carmel color. Only problem I have is they are so darn big that they are a lot of work on the bandmill.

Plowboy

Thanks for the replies, I recently bought a hay wagon that needs a new deck.  I can get bur oak a little easier than white oak.  Dad and I did a hay wagon deck out of black locust, it has turned out really well.  My buddy didn't have enough locust for me or I would build it out of that.   Thanks Chuck

Thank You Sponsors!