iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Western Red Cedar bark = root canal

Started by Percy, October 18, 2017, 06:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

northern white cedar bark = tooth floss for bigfoot
Boy, back in my day..

OffGrid973

Getting nervous guys...made a barter to flat saw some cedar (small ones) at 1" thick in turn for some custom logs, 8' ers....bad trade?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Percy

Quote from: cwimer973 on October 18, 2017, 07:42:51 PM
Getting nervous guys...made a barter to flat saw some cedar (small ones) at 1" thick in turn for some custom logs, 8' ers....bad trade?
I dunno. If the bark is stuck tight to the logs, it's no big deal but it seems by the time the logs are delivered to me, they have an uncanny resemblance to an old hairy orangutan what survived a nuclear haulocaust. The stringy bark gets wound around the drive when you ain't looking, the debarker resettable breaker knows the stuff on a first name basis and cleanup takes twice as long as the stuff has tentacles that grab any piece of infrastructure like a banshee and laugh out loud at the leaf blowers 😡😡😡

paul case

We have some trouble like that with ERC bark, plugs up the blower and the exit chute on the mill. Sticky hairy stuff.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Percy

Quote from: paul case on October 19, 2017, 09:06:01 AM
We have some trouble like that with ERC bark, plugs up the blower and the exit chute on the mill. Sticky hairy stuff.

PC
Thats the stuff!! If there is a screw head with the tinyest of burrs on it, the bark will stick to it like snot to your cheek. On the positive, Ive seen some awesome baskets and mats/rugs weaved out of the horrible stuff.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I say good trade. I sell a lot of cedar. Keep an eye on the exit shoot and you'll be fine. Once it clogs, your face will know it!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Idiocrates

I'm not very familiar with WRC but if its anything like our mountain juniper a good going over with a pressure washer will result in a totally bare....aka...barkless log.  Sometimes the bare logs are so pretty I really hate to put them on the mill.  You will be left with a soggy heavy mass of bark but it stick together fairly well and is easily scooped up and hauled to the burn pile.
James

Percy

Quote from: Idiocrates on October 19, 2017, 10:16:20 PM
I'm not very familiar with WRC but if its anything like our mountain juniper a good going over with a pressure washer will result in a totally bare....aka...barkless log.  Sometimes the bare logs are so pretty I really hate to put them on the mill.  You will be left with a soggy heavy mass of bark but it stick together fairly well and is easily scooped up and hauled to the burn pile.
If you get the WRC at sap running time aka spring, it peels rather easily. It cuts real nice any time of the year and is very stable compared to other woods I've cut. Always gorgeous. I like to whine about stuff....The bark is annoying.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaa ;D ;D

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on October 19, 2017, 02:13:01 PM
I say good trade. I sell a lot of cedar. Keep an eye on the exit shoot and you'll be fine. Once it clogs, your face will know it!! Brian
Ya, its a really good trade. Any sound cedar is always beautiful. I just like whining.  ;D ;D

Here is a pic of today, cedar bark jam up #7. The bald spot you see on the log was already pulled off by me and thrown at the squrrels when this pic was taken. Its not that obvious but the bark has crawled under the cam bearing boxes and wrapped itself around the big bearings causing the head to stop moving till I removed the bark. There was also some jammed in the drive chain sprocket that is hidden from view....

Brucer

Man, Percy, interior WRC logs don't look anything like that :o.

Yes, the bark comes off when it's been around for a while (and gets caught up in stuff) but not to that extent. And yes, the chute gets plugged regularly with fibre. But it never gets as hairy as your picture shows.

I just have to cope with butt-rot on anything over 20", not to mention the boards moving (big time) as I saw out the stresses.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Percy

Quote from: Brucer on October 20, 2017, 11:47:16 PM
Man, Percy, interior WRC logs don't look anything like that :o.

Yes, the bark comes off when it's been around for a while (and gets caught up in stuff) but not to that extent. And yes, the chute gets plugged regularly with fibre. But it never gets as hairy as your picture shows.

I just have to cope with butt-rot on anything over 20", not to mention the boards moving (big time) as I saw out the stresses.
Ya, the closer to the coast you get, the nicer the WRC or atleast thats my opinion. The wrc in our area is relativly stress free cept for the pistol butts or exremly off center piths. WE just get the miserable bark :D

Andries

Agree with you completely Percy.
We fought with it for years, we decided to debark all the logs.
Then, the bark piles started to build up.
This stuff has a demonic mind of it's own. Falls of the forks and won't go into a bucket.
The Joan Rivers of wood by-product!
Sassy, doesn't agree with nothin' and won't go away.  taz-smiley

We had three piles, this one is four haul-away bins smaller, and I've got about two more bins to pack.

A grapple is the only way to go for this stringy, clingy heap of mess!

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!