iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey Calling

Started by Ron Scott, March 11, 2008, 05:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Gobbling Champions on The Late Show

The 2008 Wild Turkey Bourbon/NWTF Gobbling Champions will be on The Late Show with David Letterman, Thursday, March 13 at 11:30 p.m. EST on CBS.

Appearing on The Late Show with David Letterman will be:

2008 Wild Turkey Bourbon/NWTF Gobbling Champion Stephan Richardson of Springdale, Ark.
2008 Second Place Finisher Doug Benefield of Newnan, Ga.
2008 Third Place Finisher Scott Wilhelm of Chippewa Falls, Wis.
~Ron

semologger

Turkey hunting is pretty big around here. I like listening to those guys. That are good at what they do.

Norm

Most of this winter I've been watching a small flock of turkeys feed in our bottom bean field stubble. They come out in the late afternoon and feed until dusk. I had thought about trying out turkey hunting for the first time but I've kind of gotten attached to the little guys. I have to respect any animal that has survived the long winter this year. Feel like going out and shooting one after that just isn't right.

I think I'll feel better about it when it's in the oven roasting though. ;D

isawlogs

Norm , maybe you should be looking at it from another angle . You could save it from the scrotching heat of the summer if you took it out of the flock this spring .  ;) Poor little birdy wiff all tose feadders would mighty hot in da sun.  ;D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

farmerdoug

Norm,  try turkey hunting.  It is fun for me.  I just hunt on the farm too.  There is a good number of birds around here and there is seven CBM book birds taken just from our farm.  It is a thrill to watch a tom strutting in front of you that you have just called in. 8) 8)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Weekend_Sawyer

I love a good turkey hunt. I only use mouth callers any more. They work fine for me. Last spring I called in a flock and had to wait for them to spread out to take my bird. Sittin there just quivering with anticipation. The birds finally spread out and I took a 5" beard out. We had it for dinner that night!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

I am stating to see some turkeys around here , not all that many , but enough to make it interesting . Had them come late last winter eating out of the feeder here at the house .

Quote from: farmerdoug on March 12, 2008, 11:38:30 PM
Norm,  try turkey hunting.  It is fun for me.  I just hunt on the farm too.  There is a good number of birds around here and there is seven CBM book birds taken just from our farm.  It is a thrill to watch a tom strutting in front of you that you have just called in. 8) 8)

Doug , what is CBM  ???

Inguiring mind would greatly appreciate  ;)  :)  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

CBM  (Commemorative Bucks of Michigan)

(I had to Google it to find out  :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

farmerdoug

Beenthere is right.  A gun kill turkey needs 12 inch minimum.  It is the lenght of each of the spurs and the beard totaled.  If you get one with a mutliple bread it adds up fast. 

Here is a link.
http://www.buckfax.com/
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

isawlogs

Thanks ,
   I have trouble with abreviations , I never can find the corect meaning to them  ::)

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!