iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off grid building

Started by allandensmore, December 20, 2020, 03:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

BTW. You do not need huge saws and bars to cut lumber with a logosol mill. I used a 046 magnum with a 18 inch bar. that was used to do the majority of my sawing. You also use the same saws for your other saw work. I did buy a new 661, they are 70cc and 90cc class saws. Was not a lot of difference. The widest cut I would make on lumber was a 12 inch board. Cutting soft wood lumber for a cabin and cutting huge hardwood slabs are totally different operations. I had also purchased the Logosol used. I sold it two years later for what I had paid for it. I sold the 046 and got my money back also. I kept the 661.You really can not count the cost of the saws towards the mill. If you have a bandsaw and plan to harvest your own trees you need the saws anyway.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

allandensmore

Quote from: richhiway on December 24, 2020, 03:19:18 PM
I built a 10x16 building with a Logosol at my camp.It is nice to take the mill to the logs. They are easy to move by one man

and almost bullet proof. I found by using 2 saws, one to break the log to a cant and the other to saw the boards, you spend less time sharping or changing chains. Look up my posts and you will find a lot of info. They cut very accurate lumber. Not as fast as a bandsaw but you would be surprised what two guys could cut on one in a day.

You can also put the Logosol on a big log,rather then putting the log on the mill.
This would come in handy in the bush
I will look at your posts, thanks.

allandensmore

Quote from: Don P on December 23, 2020, 05:47:36 PM
One thing with a band is frequent sharpening/setting/ replacing. A chainsaw probably has the most available saw "blades". A circle blade on a swing mill has few teeth, they can absorb more damage than a band and keep going and are quick to sharpen. You would probably want to have several on hand and the retipping jig. We did a minor modification and can quickly spin the powerhead on a Lacas 6-18 and make 12" wide lumber.

What are you building? Log, timber or stick frame?
Really do not want to do log due to weight.  But with log, no additional insulation is needed.
Timber (post and beam?), May, stick?
Once I see what I have available I will know.
Thinking of cutting logs so I can stack, like log home but cut down to liftable sizes.  Will treat before putting up.
Or post and beam with board &batten walls.
I do not for the life of me know how years ago individuals built such big log homes.  To me in the bush, by yourself, multiple smaller buildings would be much more feasible it seams.
one guy can only do so much.

Joe Hillmann

Check out Advoko Makes on YouTube.  It is a Russian channel dubbed into English.  He has at least one video where he shows how he freehand cut all of his planks with a chainsaw.

He is also building a cabin where everything comes in by boat or snowmobile.  He appears to be a bit of a perfectionist so yo should be able to cut some decent lumber with his method.

He says it is faster than using a chainsawlill attachment and can be done with a less powerful saw as well.

I own a mill and I have used a similar method to mill logs when I couldn't get a log to or onto the mill.  With some practice it could be a reasonable way to mill logs.  The main "trick" to the technique is to only use the very tip of the chain and lots of passes to mill the logs.

Don P

One method of doing log in manageable sizes is the way the Hudson Bay Company built their buildings. Vertical timber posts are spaced along the wall, generally at door and window sides but they can be spaced along a blank wall section as well. Shorter end tenoned infill logs fill the spaces between. Depending on size one or two men can then handle the pieces. This method is also called "piece-sur-piece" and red river log, or post and beam log. There is a good book on it "The Craft of Modular Post and Beam" James Mitchell.

Don't forget the simple machines, I've rigged and lifted/moved pretty good sized stuff with very simple stuff. Not fast but it works fine.

allandensmore

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on January 05, 2021, 01:23:11 PM
Check out Advoko Makes on YouTube.  It is a Russian channel dubbed into English.  He has at least one video where he shows how he freehand cut all of his planks with a chainsaw.

He is also building a cabin where everything comes in by boat or snowmobile.  He appears to be a bit of a perfectionist so yo should be able to cut some decent lumber with his method.

He says it is faster than using a chainsawlill attachment and can be done with a less powerful saw as well.

I own a mill and I have used a similar method to mill logs when I couldn't get a log to or onto the mill.  With some practice it could be a reasonable way to mill logs.  The main "trick" to the technique is to only use the very tip of the chain and lots of passes to mill the logs.

allandensmore

Quote from: Don P on January 05, 2021, 05:59:57 PM
One method of doing log in manageable sizes is the way the Hudson Bay Company built their buildings. Vertical timber posts are spaced along the wall, generally at door and window sides but they can be spaced along a blank wall section as well. Shorter end tenoned infill logs fill the spaces between. Depending on size one or two men can then handle the pieces. This method is also called "piece-sur-piece" and red river log, or post and beam log. There is a good book on it "The Craft of Modular Post and Beam" James Mitchell.

Don't forget the simple machines, I've rigged and lifted/moved pretty good sized stuff with very simple stuff. Not fast but it works fine.
Thanks for the heads up Don.  I just purchased the book.  I also watched a number of videos just the other day on doing a log cabin in segments ends were called Corner post and notch, but the middle section is what really got me going.  Allows you to build a cabin in shorter lengths to reduce the weight, it was outstanding.  I have been to a week long class on the butt & pass system and have done a lot of research.  I believe for speed and ease for the beginner it is the best system.  However nobody addresses the weight of the logs.  Using the corner or in this case the mid post system which i believe is similar to what the book talks about, it changes the rules on cabin building without having all the equipment.
Thanks
Allan

allandensmore

Its official, the offer on the property went through and im doing an Alaska way off grid river build this summer.  As I was telling Don, if you have not watched the videos on Corner post, and using that strategy for the middle or to build the log home in segments you are missing the boat.  While it may take longer, now a single person or a two person team can build where they could not build before.

Nebraska

Congratulations.... post lots of pictures of your build if your are willing it will be fun to watch. 

farmfromkansas

I had an old building on my place that was maybe the first building in the county in about 1860.  Had a timber frame built of 4x4's, with B&B siding, and 2x6 floor joists @ 24" oc. Building was 16' wide and about 32' long. Someone had moved another building and pushed up against the side, and made a house of the thing, then in the 50's had added electricity and plumbing, and cut sections out of the 4x4's, and then the frame started bending, roof sagged and bowed out, by the time I got it about ready to fall down. Timber frame does not stand well when guys cut the main frame to get wires and pipe through.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!