iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning dirty oak stair treads

Started by terrifictimbersllc, March 18, 2015, 10:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Took out carpeting on some stairs, found nice looking oak treads underneath that I want to refinish.  Not fresh looking though, believe just dirty.  One option is to sand them to a fresh look, however I'm wondering if there is a good product to just clean them, then lightly sand to a fresh appearance.

Anyone have experience cleaning, rather than sanding, dirty wood flooring?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

The dirt is likely embedded in the large pores of the oak, which makes it hard to lift/remove by cleaning.

But I'd suggest trying a solution of oxalic acid (or some chlorine bleach) to see how well that does at cleaning up the wood. Doubt it will be perfect but may be enough to be able to enjoy the oak treads.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You may try an air hose. I've cleaned wood with air pressure before and then sanded.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

21incher

If you just want to clean them up and not refinish, I have had good luck with murphy's oil soap if the finish is not seriously damaged. It does a good job at lifting the crud from the pores. :).
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

terrifictimbersllc

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I'm  going to try air first.  I should have stated that these treads are not finished.  Raw wood. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

submarinesailor

Believe it or not, but I have had good luck with Orange Go-Jo hand cleaner.  Had an old oak 4' step ladder that I cleaned with Go-Jo, a brush and rags for wipe off.

Bruce

5quarter

If you're going to use compressed air, use it with a fine bristle brush. Oxalic acid bleaches out organic stains and will turn the oak a pale yellow. MEK is a good cleaner; does not evaporate as quick as acetone and leaves a really clean surface. use a respirator both with the air and the chemical.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!