iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accuset “auto down”

Started by Willxm80, August 12, 2019, 09:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willxm80

Hello all.  I am relatively new at milling and own an 06 LT40 Super with Accuset 1.  I'm in the process of milling timbers for a rather large timber frame barn and having a little difficulty maximizing efficiency using the Accuset, specifically when using the "auto down" function.  I find myself using the auto down function to  make drops for boards boards as  I am making timbers.  The issue is that after I make a pass, I have to use "auto up" to raise the head to clear the log/cant on the return. I then enter auto down and tap the switch down twice to get to the next pass.

My questions are: when in auto down should I need to enter auto up to get the head to raise?  Is there a more efficient control sequence to make passes. (Cut, raise head, return, drop to next cut height, repeat)? It would be idea if I could stay in auto down and have the ability to raise the head at the end of the cut to clear the log/cant, and then hit the down lever and have the blade drop to the appropriate height.  My mill doesn't seem to allow me to raise the head when in auto down.

jmouton

it hard to say ours is an 18 lt-40 accuset 2 ,   but ours you just go up and back then hit auto down , maybe something is wrong with your lever to go up,,,  just my 2 cents worth 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

YellowHammer

I agree, with Accuset 2, I almost never used auto up.  In any mode, auto up, auto down, pattern mode, you should be able to override by just hitting the up/down lever and go to where you want.  

So in auto down mode, you should be able to make a cut, raise the head manually to clear the log where ever you want by hitting the up lever, then bring the head back, hit the down lever (still in auto drown mode)  and it should just make the next drop.

I've never used Accuset I but it solid also have the same ability to override any set pattern by simply using the lever manually. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

logs2lumber

are you using pattern mode.  

Willxm80

Willxm80

Thanks for the replies.  I was able to clean the drum switch and use the mill as described above.  Much more efficient!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

I think the recommended maintenance for those drum switches is to apply di-electric grease to the contacts every 50 hours FWIW going forward.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!